ANZAC Biscuits

Pinch salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons (60 grams) salted butter, melted
3 tablespoons Lyle’s Golden Syrup or Dark Corn Syrup
1 teaspoon very hot water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. and put rack in highest position. In a mixing bowl, stir together the oatmeal, flour, sugar, salt and baking soda. Add melted butter and stir until the mixture is moist and clumpy. Combine syrup, hot water and vanilla and add all at once to clumpy oatmeal mixture. Stir to blend. Drop by tablespoons onto a lined cookie sheet. Gently press down mounds to make fat patties. Bake for 5 minutes. Turn cookie sheet and bake another 5 or 6 minutes. Cool the cookies on pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Makes 12

Published on August 9, 2005

Joe August 9, 2005 at 9:51 pm

I keep seeing Anzac biscuits in the store and have been intrigued to find out what they taste like. I think i’ll have to try a couple recipes myself to find out! They look good!

Jeff August 9, 2005 at 9:52 pm

What a great idea! My Mom’s best friend’s son just left for Iraq a few weeks ago, so we may have to do something similar.

Anna August 10, 2005 at 7:44 am

Joe, Cooking Light also has an ANZAC recipe. Ms. Chevious pointed it out to me yesterday, so we should try it.Jeff, that would be cool if you adopted your mom’s best friend’s son. If I can get my act together and send cookies to Iraq, I’ll post responses from the soldiers.

jtoepfert100 August 10, 2005 at 11:15 am

This reminds me, I’ve got a step-cousin (if there is such a thing) that was recently sent to Saudi Arabia. I’ve been meaning to bake up a whole mess of stuff to send – these look like a perfect addition!

Sweetnicks August 11, 2005 at 8:32 am

Thanks for the recipe! I made them last night, and gave you a shout-out on my site. Very yummy!

Anna August 12, 2005 at 8:42 pm

Hi Randi,I don’t own the book. I pretend the copy residing on the shelves of the Austin Public Library belongs to me and that the library employees are its nannies/guardians. I could steal the book and pay less for it than if I were to buy it used on Amazon, but I’m not a real Abbie Hoffman follower so I don’t resort to those tactics.

Randi August 12, 2005 at 8:34 pm

have you had that cookbook for a long time? Its out of print and its so expensive to get it used.