Excellent Tres Leches Cake

Boy, was this ever good. It was adapted from Recipezaar, but as usual I made changes. I didn’t need quite as much cake as the Recipezaar version yielded so I halved the recipe and baked it in an 8 inch springform pan. You could probably do it in a 9 inch springform or a high sided 8 inch cake pan or an 8 inch square pan.

Tip: To measure out half a box of cake mix, use your kitchen scale and weight out half the amount given on the box.

wholetreslechescut.jpg

Tres Leches Cake

Cake:
1/2 of an 18.25 oz package white or yellow cake mix (I used Pillsbury Yellow)
3/4 cups flour
2 1/2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk

Filling:
1 5 oz can evaporated milk
1/2 of a 14 oz can condensed milk (14 oz.)
1/2 cup whipping cream

Frosting:
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 inch springform or cake pan. A 9 inch might work, but the cake won’t be as high.

Mix cake ingredients together. Beat two minutes on high. Pour into pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40-42 minutes until knife inserted in middle comes out clean.

Allow to cool for about 20 minutes.

Mix together fillng ingredients. Use a chopstick or metal skewer to poke holes in cake. Pour filling into holes. Allow cake to cool a little more, then transfer to refrigerator to chill.

Beat cream until almost stiff. Add sugar and vanilla and continute beating until peaks are stiff. Spread over cooled cake. Top with berries.

Serves 10-12 people

Comments

1. Anna says

Jeff and Maureen, I hope you try this one. It’s a recipe I’ll definitely be making again and one I’ll probably play with. I can imagine lots of variations. It’s not a light cake, but a small piece is moist and rich enough to satisfy and you can bulk it up with the fresh berries. Also, you can use plain old Cool Whip Lite or Cool Whip Free to save calories on the top layer.Kristin, glad you had it for breakfast. Hope you had some milk with that, young lady.

Anna,I’m glad to hear the cake worked out. Hooray! It looks divine! That will be the next one I try on one of our “girls cooking nights”.

3. Anna says

Cookie Monster, I am really sorry to hear it didn’t work for your friend. I looked over the recipe and couldn’t find any errors in the ingredients. This is the cake I make all the time.Did you friend follow the directions exactly? I’m assuming she did, but I have to ask.It’s a half recipe, which means a half box of cake mix is involved. Did she measure out half of the cake mix? I do this by weighing it. Still, it’s cake mix so even if she’s off on that, it shouldn’t collapse! Could her baking powder be old?

4. cookiemonster says

My friend made this last night and it collapsed in the middle. She made it two times for our Bunco group tonight.. What could be wrong?

5. cookiemonster says

Thanks, I pass along your suggestions to her. The baking powder being old is a good question……

6. Anna says

Sounds like she used a 9 inch pan. 9 inch is standard, but I just happened to have an 8 inch so I used that.If you double the recipe, you can make it in a 13×9 inch pan.

7. cookiemonster says

I thought the CAKE tasted outstanding….even though there was a hole in the middle. I think she used a 9″ pan and maybe it wasn’t thick enough to absorb all the milks. Everyone loved it though!!!!

8. judy says

Another great recipe…..Ive tried this and its wonderful!! Easy to make and even easier to eat!!

9. Tiffany says

Thanks for the recipe! It turned out great! Anybody know a trick to make sure the middle is as moist as the edges?

10. Sarah says

This looks and sounds really good! I normally don’t use cake mixes, but I might have to try this. I want a tres leches cake for my birthday, so maybe I’ll make it this weekend. Thank you for the recipe!