Oatmeal Tuiles From Small Batch Baking

by on August 5, 2005 · 10 comments

This recipe is another one from the book “Small Batch Baking”, by Debby Maugans Nakos. I’m happy to report that these are excellent! The scaled down recipe for these terribly delicious French roofing tiles (tuiles) tastes every bit as good as a full batch and definitely better than the ones you might be served alongside a bowl of ice cream at a restaurant. Tuiles are fancy enough to be used as garnish, but tasty enough to stand alone.

The original recipe says to cook 4-5 minutes. It’s easy to overcook tuiles, so you do have to be careful. However, mine weren’t ready to come out of the oven until after 6-8 minutes in the oven — so watch your first batch carefully.

Another great addition to these cookies is a packet of finely crushed granola bars. Add whatever flavor granola bar you like to change the flavor of the cookies.

tuiles.jpg

Oatmeal Tuiles

1 tablespoon melted, unsalted butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
1/8 teaspoons each, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon
1 tablespoon lightly beaten egg white
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoons cake flour
2 tablespoons old fashioned rolled oats
1 packet (2 bars) any flavor granola bars (optional)

Place a rack in center of oven. Preheat to 425 degrees F.

Line a baking sheet with parchment or Silpat. Have ready a rolling pin and spatula.

In a small mixing bowl, stir together melted butter, sugar, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Stir in egg white and almond extract. Add flour and stir until smooth. Stir in oats. Stir in crushed granola, if using.

Spoon 4 even mounds onto prepared cookie sheet. Moisten fingers and spread rounds into 3 inch circles. Bake cookies until edges turn golden brown – 4-5 minutes (mine took 6-8 minutes).

Remove from oven. Slide rounds onto rolling pin and let cool on rolling pin. When you remove them, they will be shaped like lovely French roofing tiles, tuiles.

Makes 4 — with granola, makes about 6

Published on August 5, 2005

Anna August 5, 2005 at 10:18 pm

I was too lazy to provide commentary today, but I’ll say here that these were very, very good! I did have some issues with timing. The book says to cook 4-5 minutes and mine took longer than that. I think maybe my oven wasn’t preheated enough.I made two batches. For the second batch, I mashed up a packet of flavored Nature Valley granola bars and threw the mashed granola in with the oatmeal. It gave the cookies a crunchy little boost and added a little extra flavor.

Joe August 5, 2005 at 9:55 pm

I’ve been eyeing this recipe for a couple days but have yet to get around making them. Maybe next week – they look good!

Joe August 5, 2005 at 11:05 pm

We always have NV granola bars around – love the oats ‘n honey – maple brown sugar is good too! Good Tip!

Maureen August 5, 2005 at 11:22 pm

Oh boy, I can’t wait to try these. I love anything with oatmeal. Fruit crisps, granola bars, oatmeal scotchies, etc. I’m definately making these! Thanks for posting. P.S. what about wine? :)

Anna August 6, 2005 at 6:55 am

Joe, I’m thinking the banana nut granola bars might be good.Maureen, we had Chateau de Little Penguin last night. Earlier in the week we opened the Chilean Cabernet, Araucana. I’m trying to decide if I should post the wine notes and pairings in this blog or give them their own little blog within a blog. Hmmmmmmm.

Maureen August 8, 2005 at 1:02 am

I made these today sans the cake flour. Wasn’t available in my mother’s kitchen, so it was plain all purpose. Loved the almond flavor and impressed the family with the rolling pin cooling, and end result shape. They were soft cookies, which suprised me. Is that how they were supposed to turn out?

Anna August 8, 2005 at 7:39 am

Maureen, mine were crispy. They were soft after being cooked for 4-5 minutes, but to get them crispy, I baked them for about 7 or 8 minutes. But soft and crispy were both good.

Maureen August 8, 2005 at 7:54 am

Hmmmm, I thought they should have been crisp. I loved the flavor, so I’m going to try again today. I will probably experiment and add a granola bar to one batch as well. It’s pouring rain, so I actually feel like spending the day over the hot oven.

Michele August 28, 2005 at 3:17 am

How much is 2 granola bars — about 2 T crushed? I am thinking about making these but using finely chopped, toasted nuts instead of the granola. I really appreciate your reviews. You are the perfect example of the benefit to cookbook writers of our lenient copyright laws — I will now go buy this cookbook after having seen the recipes you posted.

Anna August 28, 2005 at 5:05 pm

Hi Michele!I think 2 granola bars is probably about 1/3 cup or maybe even a litte more. Glad you’re going to buy the book.