Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Protein Bars

After last night’s big dinner, I’ve decided to adopt a healthy lifestyle. My goal is to maintain the healthy lifestyle for 1 week starting today.

Instead of bragging about how I’ve maintained my healthy lifestyle for the past 14 hours (8 of them involved sleeping), I’ll share this recipe.

These are not fortified with vitamins like a South Beach Meal Replacement or Zone bars, but I think they’d make a pretty decent breakfast accompanied by a multivitamin and some fruit. They taste good — kind of like a healthy chocolate chip cookie bar. You can taste the soy protein, but it’s not unpleasant at all.

proteinbarscloseup.jpg

Homemade Protein Bars — Adapted From Molli Katzen’s Sunlight Café
1 cup soy protein powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup oat bran
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup packed brown sugar — (1/2 to 2/3)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups vanilla yogurt, nonfat
1/2 cup peanut butter)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg white (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F (325F for glass pan). Lightly spray a 9×13-inch baking pan and 1 baking sheet with nonstick spray.

Mix together the protein powder, flour, oats, oat bran, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Crumble in brown sugar, rubbing it with your fingers to break up any clumps. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Combine the yogurt, oil, and vanilla into a second bowl, stirring until well combined. Add the wet mixture to the dry, and mix until thoroughly blended. It will be thick, so use your hands.

Transfer the mixture to the pan, patting it evenly into place with your hands. Bake in the center of the oven for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and cut into bars. Place the bars on the prepared baking sheet and bake for another 12-15 minutes, or until golden around the edges. (For extra-crunchy bars, turn off the oven and leave them in there for up to 45 minutes longer.) Remove the bars from the oven and place them on a rack to cool.

Eat the bars within a few hours, or put them in a freezer bag and store in the freezer.

Comments

1. Anna says

Maureen, is wine not part of a healthy lifestyle? What about that whole Mediterranean diet thing? ;).I’m starting up with the wine on Thursday.Joe, I’ll be watching for your opinion on these if and when you make them. There’s an Alton Brown recipe out there too which looks good.Jeff, these do taste fresh! I wrapped them in pairs then put them in a freezer bag. I’m the only one in the house who will eat these, but I think my friends will like them.

What?! No wine until Thursday? Yes, I think wine is part of a healthy lifestyle. In fact, I have the Wine Spectator issue that is devoted to wine and health. My new favorite benefit is bone health. More reasons for us women to have that daily glass. Enjoy :)

It’s all right here. The only problem is you have to drink in moderation or you start causing more problems than you are solving (by falling).

I made the protein bars with 2 minor changes. I used butterscotch chips because I had some to use up. (And I love butterscotch and oatmeal together.) I also used the canola oil instead of peanut butter. They taste pretty good. I am going to try to bring them in the car with me for a work snack. Otherwise, I either stop for a Luna bar at the gas station or a bakery cookie, when I get the mid morning hungries.

5. MJAWS says

Anyone have any idea what the nutritional value on these bars is? I’m wary of trying them myself because of the ingredient list. Flour, brown sugar, chocolate??? Sounds more like a cake than a protein bar.

This is what Mastercook says for 1/16 of the pan.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items):
    261 Calories;
    10g Fat (31.4% calories from fat);
    19g Protein;
    29g Carbohydrate;
    3g Dietary Fiber;
    3mg Cholesterol;
    156mg Sodium.

I made these and just posted about them. I made lots of changes, but they are really yummy. They taste like healthy cookies.