Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Protein Bars

by on August 15, 2005 · 12 comments

After last night’s big dinner, I’ve decided to adopt a healthy lifestyle. My goal is to maintain the healthy lifestyle for 1 week starting today.

Instead of bragging about how I’ve maintained my healthy lifestyle for the past 14 hours (8 of them involved sleeping), I’ll share this recipe.

These are not fortified with vitamins like a South Beach Meal Replacement or Zone bars, but I think they’d make a pretty decent breakfast accompanied by a multivitamin and some fruit. They taste good — kind of like a healthy chocolate chip cookie bar. You can taste the soy protein, but it’s not unpleasant at all.

proteinbarscloseup.jpg

Homemade Protein Bars From Molli Katzen’s Sunlight Café

Nonstick spray
1 cup soy protein powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup oat bran
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup packed brown sugar — (1/2 to 2/3)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups vanilla yogurt, nonfat
1/2 cup peanut butter OR ¼ cup canola oil (I used peanut butter)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg white (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350F (325F for glass pan). Lightly spray a 9×13-inch baking pan and a baking tray with nonstick spray.

2. Mix together the protein powder, flour, oats, oat bran, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Crumble in brown sugar, rubbing it with your fingers to break up any clumps. Stir in the chocolate chips.

3. Measure the yogurt, oil, and vanilla into a second bowl, stirring until well combined. Add the wet mixture to the dry, and mix patiently until thoroughly blended. (You may have to use your hands – it will be a thick batter, verging on a dough.)

4. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, patting it evenly into place with your hands. Bake in the center of the oven for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and cut into bars of any size or shape. Place the bars on the prepared baking tray and bake for another 12-15 minutes, or until golden around the edges. (For extra-crunchy bars, turn off the oven and leave them in there for up to 45 minutes longer.) Remove the bars from the oven and place them on a rack to cool.

5. Eat the bars within a few hours, or seal them in a heavy zip-style plastic bag and store in the freezer. For maximum crispness, “refresh” them in a toaster oven after defrosting.

*For nondairy bars, replace the yogurt with unsweetened applesauce, canned pumpkin, or mashed banana. (Or try the silken tofu option in the Protein Boosters box.) Add an extra pinch of salt if using pumpkin or silken tofu.
*The range of sugar allows you to make these bars sweeter or not, according to your taste.

Protein Boosters
*Replace the flour with quinoa, ground to a powder in a blender or an electric spice grinder.
*Replace the yogurt with mashed silken tofu (soft or firm). Add an extra pinch of salt.
*Add 2 to 3 tablespoons powdered egg whites.
*Add up to 1 cup chopped nuts and/or sunflower seeds.

Published on August 15, 2005

Joe August 15, 2005 at 9:50 pm

I much rather make my own protein bars as I know exactly whats going in them. These look good!

Jeff August 15, 2005 at 9:56 pm

And I really like the home-made ones – they just taste “fresh”. Nice bars, Anna!

Maureen August 15, 2005 at 10:30 pm

I hope this doesn’t mean no wine reviews! :)

Anna August 16, 2005 at 8:08 am

Maureen, is wine not part of a healthy lifestyle? What about that whole Mediterranean diet thing? ;).I’m starting up with the wine on Thursday.Joe, I’ll be watching for your opinion on these if and when you make them. There’s an Alton Brown recipe out there too which looks good.Jeff, these do taste fresh! I wrapped them in pairs then put them in a freezer bag. I’m the only one in the house who will eat these, but I think my friends will like them.

Anna August 16, 2005 at 10:06 pm

Huh? Wine is good for our bones? Wow! That’s good news.

Maureen August 16, 2005 at 9:57 pm

What?! No wine until Thursday? Yes, I think wine is part of a healthy lifestyle. In fact, I have the Wine Spectator issue that is devoted to wine and health. My new favorite benefit is bone health. More reasons for us women to have that daily glass. Enjoy :)

Todd August 17, 2005 at 5:28 pm

It’s all right here. The only problem is you have to drink in moderation or you start causing more problems than you are solving (by falling).

Maureen August 20, 2005 at 3:45 pm

I made the protein bars with 2 minor changes. I used butterscotch chips because I had some to use up. (And I love butterscotch and oatmeal together.) I also used the canola oil instead of peanut butter. They taste pretty good. I am going to try to bring them in the car with me for a work snack. Otherwise, I either stop for a Luna bar at the gas station or a bakery cookie, when I get the mid morning hungries.

MJAWS March 24, 2008 at 3:46 pm

Anyone have any idea what the nutritional value on these bars is? I’m wary of trying them myself because of the ingredient list. Flour, brown sugar, chocolate??? Sounds more like a cake than a protein bar.

Anna March 24, 2008 at 4:22 pm

This is what Mastercook says for 1/16 of the pan.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items):
261 Calories;
10g Fat (31.4% calories from fat);
19g Protein;
29g Carbohydrate;
3g Dietary Fiber;
3mg Cholesterol;
156mg Sodium.

Heidi April 23, 2008 at 10:52 pm

Do you have the nutritional info on the protein bars?

Jess May 10, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I made these and just posted about them. I made lots of changes, but they are really yummy. They taste like healthy cookies.