Whole Foods Chocolate Chip Dried Cherry Cookie

by on August 28, 2005 · 6 comments

Adapted from a Whole Foods recipe.  These were pretty good, but a little on the soft side — almost too tender in my opinion.  Not much crunch, but still a good cookie.

chocolatecherrycookies1.jpg

Chocolate Chip Dried Cherry Cookies

1 stick organic unsalted butter — softened
2/3 cup organic cane sugar — packed
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sifted organic unbleached white flour
1/4 cup sifted organic whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup dried cherries — roughly chopped
1 cup pecans — roughly chopped

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Cream together butter and sugar, beating until light. Add vanilla and eggs. Continue to beat well. Sift together both flours, salt and baking soda, and add to butter mixture, beating again. Stir in chocolate chips, dried cherries and pecans. Refrigerate dough for 1 hour.

Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets that have been lined with parchment paper and sprayed with canola or olive oil spray. Bake cookies 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Remove to wire racks to cool

Published on August 28, 2005

Joe August 28, 2005 at 5:20 pm

Thanks for the cookie review! I’ve had that chocolate before and it is pretty good! I like it better just in bar form though.

Nic August 28, 2005 at 6:57 pm

I agree with you on the dried bings. Sour cherries are much better. I actually had no idea that there were cherry flavored craisins, but this recipe from the Oceanspray website sounds great: http://www.oceanspray.com/Recipes/recipe/recipe.aspx?ID=96Maybe I’ll have to track some down.

Anna August 28, 2005 at 8:38 pm

Nic, those black forest cookies look good. For some reason, I’ve been craving the chocolate & fruit combo.I’ll be interested to hear what you think of cherry flavored craisins. I buy them because they taste good and are super cheap — about $1.50 a bag, compared to $4.00 for dried sour cherries.Another product I spotted today is called “Confused Raisins”. Confused raisins looks like regular raisins, but are flavored with orange or cherry essence.

Jen August 29, 2005 at 10:49 am

I use those Cherry Flavored Craisins all the time instead of dried cherries. I really think they taste like dried cherries. Good to know I’m not alone.

s'kat August 30, 2005 at 7:34 pm

I’m so glad you tried that chocolate! I really like the Tiger Bar (dark chocolate with espresso beans), and am anxious to try the Bat Bar (dark chocolate with cocoa nibs). The Endangered Species chocolate bars have been, ironically, sold out at my store for some time, as well as on line.Use some of that whole wheat flour to make Joe’s banana-walnut muffins!

[email protected] December 15, 2007 at 1:31 pm

Your cookie receipes are absolutely wonderful I have mailed them out to thousands of people worldwide and placed your site on the board at work everyone is enjoying them and sharing them. Have had them in the store and if you wish you can add a link to my website http://www.mjsgifts.biz. It is a since of warmth, love, security and a joy to share with friends and foe. One taste takes you home where you enjoy the warm loving memories of sharing and the true since of well-being and love. Thank-you ever so much for the trip down memory lane which one is my favourite all of them.
Margo Jenkins of [email protected]