Good Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

by on October 6, 2005 · 6 comments

This recipe, which was sent to me by my friend in Ohio, is excellent. The texture of these cookies is dense, tender in the middle, but crunchy around the edges.

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup shortening, regular or butter flavored
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup unsifted whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cups quick oats (not instant)
1 cup chopped dried cherries
1 cup chocolate chips

Beat shortening, butter and brown sugar together in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg, water, vanilla; beat well. Combine whole wheat flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into creamed mixture. Stir in oats, dried cherries and chocolate chips.
Drop by teaspoons onto lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes or until golden. Remove and cool on wire rack.

Published on October 6, 2005

Alysha October 6, 2005 at 11:35 pm

Those look really good, Anna. I’ll put them on my ever-growing fall baking list. I like use Spectrum’s shortening – no trans fats and it’s organic to boot. Whole wheat and oats – practically a health food! ;)

Bassizzzt October 25, 2005 at 8:24 am

Good blog! Great recipe for me to try out for cookies, I might even do this tonight.

Anna October 25, 2005 at 5:03 pm

Hi Bassizzzt,I hope you like them. They’re pretty wheatlicious.

Bassizzzt October 26, 2005 at 1:39 pm

I am a self-indulgent cookie beast.I once made the so-called nieman marcus cookies and discovered that the best kept secret to the cookie base is to add in the blended oats but stave off on the brown sugar a bit.I’d kill for a bag of cadbury’s milk chocolate chips.

Anna October 26, 2005 at 2:49 pm

Bassizzzt, I love Cadbury milk chocolate too. I use it when I almond roca, a recipe I should probably post here. I haven’t made the Neiman Marcus cookies in quite a while, mainly because it’s my friend Sarah’s star cookie and no one makes them as well as she does. Maybe she staves off on the brown sugar too. Don’t know

Bassizzzt October 26, 2005 at 3:05 pm

Well now, there’s a soft spot on me, because Almond Roca is my favorite sweet!Please DO post that one! This blog is the best one so far!!