Maida’s Cake — Again

by on October 31, 2005 · 12 comments

Maida’s cake turned out quite well. For those interested in copying the recipe off the web, here’s a link to the one I used. The original cake is called “September 7 Cake” and it’s in Maida’s Book of Great Chocolate Desserts.

The cake is very good. The chocolate part is light and airy and gets all its fat from the egg yolks. The white part is simply stablized whipped cream flavored with vanilla (I used Nielsen Massey paste) and the top part is a very light whipped chocolate icing. It’s not really a buttercream, even though it does have cream and a little butter. It’s much lighter tasting. This cake is all about the illusion of lightness. With 3 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream, that’s a grand illusion.

annasmaidacakeforblog.jpg

Published on October 31, 2005

Alicat October 31, 2005 at 7:41 pm

Bah – I think I just deleted my comment! As I was saying, I don’t know what youre talkin’ about woman! That pic looks gorgeous!! :D

Anna October 31, 2005 at 7:45 pm

Thanks, Ali!I think the white filling is too bright. Otherwise, it’s an okay picture.Hope you’re having a Happy Halloween. Some kid just came to my door dressed as Stevie Ray Vaughan. Ah, I love Austin.

Anonymous October 31, 2005 at 7:46 pm

I agree w/ alicat, looks great. I’m drooling!!!!Michelle

cookie jill October 31, 2005 at 8:36 pm

WOW…that’s some fluffy cake! ;-)

Alicat November 1, 2005 at 3:13 pm

Stevie Ray Vaughn???hahahah…did he have to explain it to you or did you get it?Or was he singing something like “she’s my sweet little baby, I’m her little lover boy”That’s hilarious. :D

s'kat November 1, 2005 at 3:30 pm

Anna, I don’t know what you’re talking about, that cake is beautiful. But if the filling seems too hot, pull out some photoshop! Use burn set to highlight, and use an extremely light touch. It’ll tamp it down just enough.Let us know if you nail the lightened version!

Anna November 1, 2005 at 8:43 pm

Ali, SRV has a distinctive look — long hair and a cowboy hat. There’s a statue of him in one of our parks. Welcome to Austin (again).Jill, the fluffy part tastes better the second day.S’kat, when I tried to use the Photoshop burn thing, it made it look too grey, but thanks for introducing me to the “burn” tool. I’m good at burning things.

Joe November 1, 2005 at 9:49 pm

I agree – it looks great!

Anonymous February 5, 2006 at 5:38 am

Your post (Maida’s Cake — Again) was on target for home cooking v. It’s interesting to know that many people don’t understand home cooking v, good job. What I would like to see is more info on home cooking v and home cooking v. Any post you make on home cooking v in the future will be well received.

cookiemonster July 25, 2006 at 12:52 pm

When I am clicking on a link for the Maida’s Sept. 7th cake for example, I am being taken to the comments…no picture. What is wrong?

Anna July 25, 2006 at 12:57 pm

Cookie Monster,

Try using the scroll bar and scroll up on your browser. The comments are below the picture and post.

Anna July 25, 2006 at 12:58 pm