Gigantic Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies

1 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
6-8 ounces dark chocolate, cut into chunks

In a large bowl, stir together melted butter, melted peanut butter, brown sugar and white sugar. Stir in the egg and vanilla.

Mix together the bread flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and stir into sugar mixture. Stir in oats and chocolate chunks.

Using a packed quarter cup measure, shape dough into balls and place on a dish. Chill shaped dough balls for about an hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment and place dough balls about 3 inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake cookies for 15-17 minutes, covering loosely with sheet of foil (if necessary) after first 10 minutes to prevent over browning. Remove from baking sheet and let cool completely. Makes about 12 cookies.

Published on November 16, 2005

Randi November 16, 2005 at 10:43 pm

im wondering why you used bread flour and not AP?

s'kat November 17, 2005 at 8:01 am

My husband would say that Jif is the only peanut butter. Great looking cookies!

Nic November 17, 2005 at 8:17 am

Yikes – they are huge! The do look delicious, though.

Anna November 17, 2005 at 8:22 am

Hi Randi!I think the bread flour may make the cookies a little bit more tender. However, I’ve made these with regular flour and they are still really good.S’kat, I like Jif too.Nic, these cookies are really big. The recipe works for small cookies, but the big ones have a more interesting, contrasting texture.

Jen November 17, 2005 at 12:34 pm

Good heavens! If my husband finds out there is a PB version this recipe, he really is going to run off to Austin to steal you from Todd! Never one to deprive him, I’ll have to pretend I made it up myself.;-)

Annie November 20, 2005 at 2:47 pm

Hi Anna – I’m glad they turned out! I’m going to try these with chocolate chunks next- I did not have any on hand last time. The chunks would add a better chocolate/PB ratio than melted. Also looking forward to trying your other PB recipes. Take care, Annie

Bree June 28, 2006 at 1:23 pm

Hey Anna. I just made these cookies the other day. I loved them. The only problem was that they took 3 times the amount of time to cook therefore turned extremely hard. Next time I will make them a lot smaller. But my dad loved them and that is all that really matters right? LOL