Alton Brown’s Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

by on January 4, 2006 · 25 comments

Alton Brown’s Chewy Chocolate Chip — Adapted

2 sticks unsalted butter (230 grams)
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

Pour the melted butter in the mixer’s work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Chill the dough (don’t skip this step!), then using a 1/4 cup measure, scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

Published on January 4, 2006

Randi January 4, 2006 at 8:10 pm

Hey Anna, I got my new CL today. Congrats!! the cake looks good except I’ll need to sub out some splenda for all the sugar since I’m diabetic. Do you think if I subbed out 1 cup it would still work?

Randi January 4, 2006 at 8:11 pm

oh and i( along with another person) baked Ina’s brownies at the egullet gathering last July. I wasnt impressed. Of course, I didnt do all the mixing, someone else helped me. But, I think they are supposed to be refridgerated for a few days before consuming and we ate them right away.

Anna January 4, 2006 at 8:25 pm

Hi Randi!Thanks! Do you like my goofy smile? I was pretty happy at the moment — a bit awestruck, I suppose.As for the Splenda, I’ve had good results using it in the cake. The proportions I used were 1 1/2 cups Splenda (straight — not Splenda Blend) and 1/2 cup brown sugar. Hope that helps!The frosting is mostly marshmallow creme, which you might not be able to deal with since you are diabetic. If that’s the case, here’s another frosting I use.Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting (optional)4 oz reduced cream cheese, softened4 T. light butter 1/2 cup Splenda2 tablespoons baking cocoa1 teaspoon vanillaLet me know if that works for you. But yes, I have definitely used Splenda.

Randi January 4, 2006 at 9:53 pm

I clicked on that link for one smart cookie and it shows 66.89 for the price. I emailed the seller and he told me the price was correct!! Ridiculous.

Randi January 4, 2006 at 9:54 pm

thanks for the revised recipe. It really sucks that CL wont use recipes with splenda. I have a great choc. cake that I developed but they wont take it. : (

~~my~~ January 4, 2006 at 11:34 pm

Hi anna!I noticed there are two Greenwich brwonies(Greenwich Village Brownies& Greenwich Village Brownstone Brownies) which one did you bake? I’m always on the lookout for fudgy and dense brownies RANDI, how did Ina’s Brownies turned out when you baked them?

Michele January 5, 2006 at 12:09 am

Cookies and brownies look great! It’s the sugar that gives that nice glossy look.

s'kat January 5, 2006 at 7:23 am

Great photos and article in CL, Anna!

Anna January 5, 2006 at 7:40 am

Randi, I hope the revised version works out for you. My, I used the Greenwich Village brownies. Looks like the “brownstone” version is a 1/2 size of the “village” recipe baked in an 8 inch pan. Also, Randi can answer for herself, but I think the Outrageous Brownies are incredible. They are extremely dense and fudgy. The recipe is huge that I’ve always quartered it and baked the brownies in an 8 inch pan.

Anna January 5, 2006 at 7:43 am

Randi, surely you can find it for less. I’ll be on the look out.That being said, you may not like the book. She uses less fat, but still uses a lot of sugar.

Anna January 5, 2006 at 7:54 am

Michele, I believe it’s sugar, but what did I do to the sugar to make it glossy? Did it melt in the hot butter maybe? I’ve noticed I’ve gotten shiny tops on brownies which have used melted butter as well.

Amy January 5, 2006 at 9:10 am

Anna! You and your smile look BEAUFIFUL. Congratulations, that is is sweet magazine coverage!p.s. I made The Chewy last January. The dough freezes and bakes really well. I love them.

Anna January 5, 2006 at 9:19 am

Thanks, Amy!You’re so sweet.I looked at your Alton Brown cookies and they’re shiny as well. Guess it’s the melted butter/sugar thing.I’m making baking up the rest of the dough this morning.

Joe January 5, 2006 at 10:18 am

Randi – The One Smart Cookie book is only $10 on amazon new or could get it used for as little as $4http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1579549446/qid=1136477770/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-9725637-5514545?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Jen January 5, 2006 at 11:02 am

Anna – I completely forgot you were going to be in the January CL! My subscription ran out so I better run out and buy it! Why doesn’t CL take Splenda recipes – I always wondered why they didn’t have recipes that called for it?How does the Chewy compare to the Nielsen Massey Choc Chip Cookie?

Anna January 5, 2006 at 11:27 am

Jen, you’d better renew your subscription too!As for the cookies, I think the Nielsen Massey Cookies are drier. I don’t mean they are dry in a bad way, just not as thick and moist as Alton’s.

~~my~~ January 5, 2006 at 5:40 pm

ANNA, did the greenwich brownies tasted better the next day?Thanks so much for the inormation you’ve shared (quartering the Outrageous brownies recipe) for i have no idea on what pan size to use when the recipe’s divided Oh, your right, the other Greenwich recipe is just the half of the other one hehe, thanks!By the way, on FLORA’S Recipe list.. are most of the recipe listed good and full proof? Coz i’m quite hesitant in making recipes with no reviews from people..

Anna January 5, 2006 at 5:51 pm

You know, I never got around to eating a Greenwich brownie today. Instead, I ate a frozen, thawed Whopper cookie, which was extra delicious.If you do the 8 inch pan of Outrageous brownies, check them at 18 minutes. Those brownies are so rich that an 8 inch pan makes plenty. I like Flora’s hideout, but can’t vouch for all the recipes. Like you, I much prefer recipes which has been reviewed. Recipezaar is my fave!

~~my~~ January 5, 2006 at 11:19 pm

Me too, i never fail to go to recipezaar what’s your nickname?

Anna January 6, 2006 at 3:02 pm

I don’t have many good recipes on Recipezaar, because I just haven’t had time to keep up with posting there. But my identity is AnnaCG.

~~my~~ January 6, 2006 at 11:41 pm

thanks anna, i checked out your recipes with pics… Yum!! :)

tg January 11, 2006 at 10:10 am

the alton brown cookies – yr instrux say “6 cookies per sheet” – but i’m wondering how big a portion of dough to lay down – “rounded teaspoon”?

Anna January 11, 2006 at 12:27 pm

tg,Since you asked, I’m going to make a change in the directions. You should form your mounds with a very large cookie scoop or a quarter cup measure. They’re huge cookies! Baking times are never exact, so you’ll want to watch the cookies closely. But I generally scoop about 6 big quarter cup mounds and bake them for 12-14 minutes.

Stéphane October 1, 2006 at 11:47 pm

Hello there ! Here is a question for a French Chewy cookie lover :)

In Alton Brown recipe, you mention “2 sticks unsalted butter”, but how much would that weight ? thanks for letting me know…

Anna October 1, 2006 at 11:54 pm