Pretty Princess Cake

by on February 1, 2006 · 11 comments

A few weeks ago, Fuzz and I started making a Pretty Princess cake – a recipe idea we got from the book Delicious Desserts from Batter Up Kids.

We got as far as icing the first layer, but while stacking on the second, the layer broke in half. It was my fault for letting Fuzz do it herself. What was I thinking?

At any rate, it turned into an excellent lesson in “crumb layers”. We iced the whole thing (smearing crumbs all through the dark pink icing), stuck it in the deep freeze to firm, then wrapped it in a layer of plastic wrap and foil.

Today, we decided to finish the cake. I pulled out the frozen, homely, pink crumbed cake and set it on the cake stand. The plan was to ice the frozen cake with whipped white icing, then spray it with new pink spray on stuff. Here’s what it looked like out of the freezer. As you see, Fuzz has already coated some of the deep pink in a layer of white.

I am not particularly fond of dying icing because I always get dye all over the kitchen. Besides, Fuzz and I had been looking for an excuse to try out this new product. It’s like spray paint for cakes, and let me tell you – it is cool!

I had so much fun spraying it. Fuzz did too, although it was really hard for her little fingers. Here’s what the cake looked like partially sprayed.

And here it is all finished! It’s the tiara, really. A tiara will make any cake beautiful.

Published on February 1, 2006

val February 1, 2006 at 8:40 pm

ooo. where do you buy these tiaras in bulk? my cakes need serious help in the beauty department.that’s a fun looking cake. and the spray can thing is neat (but I think I’d only use it for the novelty with kids).

Ms. Chevious February 1, 2006 at 8:46 pm

Everyone looks better in tiaras, even cakes!

Anna February 1, 2006 at 8:56 pm

Val, I have no idea where the tiara is from. Maybe Ms. Chevious could send you one of hers, ’cause we know she has at least 40. Actually, I think you can find them in the party favor section. As for the spray paint, that stuff is addictive. Try it once and you won’t be able to stop.

s'kat February 2, 2006 at 8:08 am

What a beautiful cake! It looks like you both had a lot of fun making it- Fuzz should be proud.

Amy February 2, 2006 at 10:48 am

Adorable. Both Fuzz and also the cake. Adorable.

Anna February 2, 2006 at 11:55 am

We cut into it last night and it actually tastes good too. The spray paint is pretty flavorless.

Culinarily Obsessed February 2, 2006 at 1:26 pm

Anna the cake is precious!! And you have given me a fabulous idea for the princess niece’s upcoming birthday. She’s going to flip – I bought her a birthday tiara last year & she still talks about it!! And as she says EVERYTIME I see her “Pink is my favorite color!” lol

Anna February 2, 2006 at 1:48 pm

I totally recommend the cake. Maybe as a present, you could order the “Delicious Desserts” book and give that to her as a gift.

Anonymous February 3, 2006 at 9:35 am

What an adorable cake AND child! Being the mother of 4 boys, I particularly enjoyed it!

Anna February 3, 2006 at 11:35 am

Mother of Four Boys? Oh my. I’d like to buy you a drink ;).Maybe they’ll get together and make YOU a princess cake.Or maybe you could make some crazy boy dessert from http://www.kidsbakeoff.com/Pillsbury has some neat ideas for kids — boys and girls.

Joanna September 28, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Was this a birthday cake ? Fuzz is very cute!