Small Batch Crunchy Granola

by on February 19, 2006 · 8 comments

I’ve tried a lot of granola recipes, but the one I always come back to is from Kathleen Daehlman’s book Cooking Thin. Unlike the higher oil crispy granolas, Kathleen’s recipe is very crunchy and has a great vanilla flavor. The nuts make it kind of rich, so it’s probably best eaten as a dry snack then in a giant bowl with milk.

Since I’m the only one around here who eats granola, I make this in small batches.

Granola without oil

Kathleen’s Crunchy Granola

Cooking Spray or olive oil for misting
2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup brown sugar (dark or light)
2 tablespoons water
Pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Spray a roasting pan with cooking spray or mist with olive oil.

Stir together oats, pecans and almonds in a mixing bowl.

Place brown sugar, water and salt in a 2 cup microwave safe measuring cup. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over oat mixture and stir until oats are coated with mixture.

Pour into pan and bake for 45 minutes, stopping to stir mixture every 15 minutes or so. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container

Makes about 2 1/2 cups

Published on February 19, 2006

s'kat February 19, 2006 at 8:52 pm

I’m the only one around here who eats granola, as well. What a bummer!Thanks for your small portions recipes, I usually just get the Nature Valley Fruit & Nut Bars instead!

Michele February 19, 2006 at 9:16 pm

Sounds so good, especially the pecans. Can’t wait to try it!

Anna February 20, 2006 at 7:40 am

s’kat and Michele,I hope you like it. Again, it is very crunchy since it doesn’t have oil. So keep that in mind.Michelle, the pecans and the almonds really are the best part.

Randi February 21, 2006 at 1:34 pm

Have you tried Andy’s fairfield granola from Nigella’s feast( and how to eat). It looks good, doesnt use a lot of oil and I’ve heard good things about it. I have a link to sarah discovers how to eat( girl who is making all the recipes from how to eat) and she made it in her blog with pics.

Anna February 22, 2006 at 7:28 am

Hi Randi!Thanks the tip. I just found Sarah’s blog and love it. I’m going to add a link.http://sarah-discovers-how-to-eat.blogspot.com/I'm still searching for the granola recipe, though.

Nupur October 6, 2007 at 5:46 am

Thank you for this delicious recipe! I am delighted to find an oil-free extra-crunchy granola. I will be making this again and again.

Kim F June 25, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Love that this is made without added fat/oil. Can’t wait to try this out!

Kim F. June 30, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Made a double batch of this granola today. It’s fantastic and I love how crunchy it is! I had a few spoonfuls over a cup of Oikos Black Cherry Greek yogurt and it was amazingly good!