Choco-Peanut Butter Cups

Yesterday’s cookie was created by Ronna Farley, who I met at the Bake-Off. We sat together on the bus ride to Downtown Disney, where Ronna told me about her job working in the grocery business. When she’s not at the store, she loves cooking and doing creative things with food. This recipe is one of those “Gee, why didn’t I think of that” ideas, but what’s really impressive is how well Ronna executed it. These are delicious. The filling is incredible. I made mine with refrigerated dough and the cookies were just as good as I’d hoped. If you are a purist, you might want to try them with shortbread dough — peanut butter or plain. I’m definitely going to do it that way when I have more time.

Here’s a link to the recipe. I had to improvise a little. H.E.B. was out of Pillsbury peanut butter cookie dough rolls, so I used Pillsbury’s pre-formed Reese’s Pieces peanut butter cookie dough. The pre-formed cookie dough pieces are bigger than what you’d get if you cut the dough as directed, which is why my cookies (especially with the Reese’s Pieces)look like Ronna’s in a funhouse mirror.

ronnasthingswithwrongdough.jpg

The dough puffed up, but it deflated again pretty quickly. Time for the filling!

ronnasthingsallpuffy.jpg

Ronna melted her chocolate over the stove. I like melting chocolate in the microwave, so that’s what I did and it worked just fine. I didn’t even really need to wash out the bowl after doing the peanut butter/white chocolate layer. You’ll know what I mean when you make these. Here’s a picture of the first layer.

ronnasthingspeanutbutterlayer.jpg

ronnasthingswithchocolate.jpg

And the final product! These are pretty firm when cold, but if you serve them at room temperature, they are soft and rich.

ronnascupsforblog1.jpg

Comments

1. Amy says

I really paid attention when i saw those in Wednesday’s paper, because they sound like something I’d like. Thanks for the step-by-step!

Those look so good! A couple of questions.. or a few on the BakeOff… There was a documentary done a couple of years ago following some of the contestants and who won. Did they do something like that this year? Will you be able to enter the next BakeOff? And have you heard when they will start the entry period for the next one? I think that is it :)Chloe

3. Anna says

Chloe, the documentary was not done by Pillsbury. I believe it was done by an independent film maker who got permission to do the film. This year there was no documentary, but there are plans for a FoodTV special.And no, I will not be able to enter the next one. Boo hoo hoo. You’ll have to enter for me.I don’t know when the next one opens, but sign up for Pillsbury’s email newsletter and when the next one is afoot, you’ll get an email notice. I doubt the eligible products will change too much. They’re still on the website in case you want to start practicing now.

These are also on the dessert tray for this weekend. Thanks! I prtinted the recipe but why oh why did I torture myself by clicking on the “nutrition information” link?!

Thanks for answering the questions. I should start practicing! I did enter last time… but I think my recipe had WAY too many steps… keep it simple is my motto this year! :)

Thanks for the nice review, Anna! I hope everyone enjoys this recipe as much as I do! I sure hope I can create some else just as good one of these days!

Hi Cookie Monster,

Sure, these can be made ahead of time. They’ll probably stay good for 3 days if you store them in a closed container. You could also freeze them.

8. Caitlin says

I have a question– can I use homemade cookie dough for these, or does it have to be packaged?

Caitlin, you could definitely use homemade dough. The problem is, I wouldn’t now exactly which homemade peanut butter cookie dough would work the best. There are so many types. Obviously, you’d want one that wouldn’t spread too much. I think a shortening based recipe without too much egg might work best.

That said, Pillsbury’s peanut butter dough is pretty good. The latest million dollar cookie recipe was made with their dough, so a bunch of food pros obviously liked it! But if you can’t find it, you might as well make it yourself.