Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with Wheat Germ and Pecans

Hooray! A cookie I can share with friends, rather than the trash can. These are great. They’re thin, but chewy and slightly crisp around the edges. The wheat germ adds some chewiness and nuttiness, but the cookies don’t taste like health food.

wheatgermcookiesforblog2.jpg

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with Wheat Germ and Pecans

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup wheat germ ( I used the untoasted kind)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups oats
2 cups semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
3/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped and toasted

Whisk together flour, wheat germ, salt and baking soda. Set aside.

Beat butter and both sugars until fluffy. Beat in vanilla and eggs.

Stir flour mixture into butter mixture, followed by oats, chocolate chips and pecans. Chill dough for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased non-stick cookie sheets and bake for 8 to 12 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet for 3 minutes. Remove and cool on wire rack.

Makes about 60 cookies

Comments

1. Lindsay says

Anna- I’m new to your blog (thanks CCC) but wanted to tell you I made the Malted Choc Chip and the Banana Chocolate Macadamia cookies for this weekend. Both turned out fantastic! I can’t pick a favorite.Question that occurred to me as I read the blog: what are your criteria for a good cookie? It would help to know this when reading your reviews.Thanks again for this great blog!

2. tg says

oh, don’t call that “glare”. call it an “artfully placed hilite” that enhances the composition of the photo, yeah

3. Anna says

Hi Lindsay,Good luck with CCC!! I’m really glad you liked the cookies. The malted chocolate chip recipe is an old brand name recipe (from Crisco, I think) and the banana ones are something I just made using a combination of different recipes. The answer to your question is highly subjective, but here are the characteristics I like in cookies.Chocolate Chip — Crisp edges, chewy insides, bumpy tops, lots of chips, packed with flavor…flavor should explode in mouth.Peanut Butter — Not chewy, very sandy, crispy outside/soft inside, intense peanut butter flavor. Double Chocolate — Like eating chocolate baked into cookie form. Should be soft and/or chewy. Bumpy a plus but not required. Chunks or chocolate chips in cookie required for greatness in that category. Exception — Thomas Haas Truffle Cookies. Chocolate Crinkle Cookies need not apply.Molasses Cookie — not ginger snaps disguised as molasses cookies! Real molasses cookies should be big, soft, brown and taste like molasses….NOT ginger.Ginger Cookies — Bitingly spicy, gingery, can be chewy or crunchy. Doesn’t matter so long as there’s a huge wallop of ginger.Shortbread — should be crisp, fine crumbed, practically disintegrates on tongue, extremely flavorful (usually butter)Oatmeal Cookies — depends on mood, but usually crisp on outside, soft on inside, flavors of butter, oats, cinnamon. Raisins a plus. Oatmeal Cookies with chocolate chips best crunchy.Okay, I have to stop now. ;)

4. Anna says

tg, it’s glare and it’s annoying. It’s even worse when I try to take pictures of wine labels. I think my flash might be set too high.

thanks to lindsay for the excellent question about cookie criteria, which prompted such a thoughtful and provocative dissertation on cookies from the queen of this blog

6. Anna says

Boy, being called a queen and a gem in one day is going to my head. I think it’s going to explode.

7. Lindsay says

I love it…thanks Anna! I copied and pasted to my “notebook” for future reference. You’re a gem!

8. Sharon says

We made this cookie because Specialty’s Bakery in San Francisco makes THE best oatmeal chocolate chip wheat germ cookie I’ve ever had (fluffy, chewy, chocolatey). These ones were okay, but not the same. We might have done something wrong…

9. Penelope says

I like these cookies A LOT! I was looking for a cookie that could stand up to the 60% Ghirardelli chips that I have. The chips are big and have a very strong flavor, so they overwhelmed the first cookie I made with them (orange-cranberry). I really like the flavor and the texture of the wheat germ and oats and nuts combined. Fantastic! I’ll definitely make these again. (Especially since I got the chips at Sam’s club, so I have a huge bag of them!)

ps, I halved the recipe and it came out fine.