Vegan Oatmeal Cookies

by on June 20, 2006 · 19 comments

Today’s recipe comes from Satan. No really, check it out. It’s pretty trendy to go vegan these days, but I am surprised to see that even the devil himself has gone veg. I should be even more surprised that he bakes – and cookies? You’d think he’d bake something like molten lava cakes or chocolate sin cake, but nope. He makes oatmeal cookies.

This is a useful recipe. You can file it under “ways to use up rotten bananas”. In this case, the banana takes the place of the eggs, so if you know someone with an egg allergy, you can bake him a batch of these. The texture is good — kind of cakey, but still yummy. They’re a little on the sweet side, so you might want to add some toasted pecans (like I did) to tone down the sugar. Don’t cut down the amount of sugar, because that will mess up the fine balance of ingredients in Satan’s cookie. Also, I noticed Satan adds a little water at the end because his dough is dry. That must be because he’s cooking in Hell. My dough was perfectly moist without it.

I added Ghirardelli chocolate chips.

satancookiesforblog.jpg

Published on June 20, 2006

Ms. Chevious June 20, 2006 at 2:45 pm

Hmmm…”mashe’d banana”…sounds vaguely french, or maybe a little kinky…

Gigi June 20, 2006 at 6:10 pm

Boy…all this time we thought Eve tempted Adam with an apple. Maybe it was really an apple cobbler!

Anna June 20, 2006 at 8:30 pm

G, maybe the he had a viking stove hidden up in the branches of the tree. Ms. Chevious, kudos to you for actually clicking the link and reading Satan’s recipe. When I read it, I imagined taking a machete to a banana. That would do the job, right? But if he’s Satan, he would have probably would mashed it with a pitchfork.

radioactive girl June 21, 2006 at 12:22 pm

I made these today. You are awesome! I am on day 6 of my low iodine diet (I had thyroid cancer and am preparing for a scan…long story, visit my website if you actually want to know, otherwise don’t worry about it, just know it is very difficult, as almost all foods have iodine in them) and was having trouble finding cookies that did not contain forbidden ingredients. These did perfectly! Mine were a touch dry until I added a tiny bit of extra water, but I am wondering if humidity makes a difference in that.

Anna June 21, 2006 at 2:06 pm

Hi RG!I am glad to hear Satan’s cookies came in handy for you. I didn’t even realize they were low in idodine, but that’s great.A friend tried some of the ones I made yesterday and said she thought they were the best cookies ever. Maybe Satan’s original title for the recipe is appropriate.

Steph Bachman June 22, 2006 at 10:23 am

Hilarious post! You made my morning. Satan’s batter needs water because cooking in hell – HA!I hope you don’t mind if I link to you today.

JoAnna June 22, 2006 at 11:29 am

the satan jokes were quite funny. the cookie sounds delish tho! I often use applesauce to replace oil, and tofu to replace eggs, so to hear that the banana thing surprised me.keep baking!

Anna June 22, 2006 at 1:14 pm

Steph, link away!Joanna, I am interested in trying a few more tofu-based recipes, but just haven’t gotten around to it. Applesauce is iffy. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn’t. The banana was great, but it does give the cookies a banana flavor.

val June 23, 2006 at 6:45 pm

I made these and didn’t add the water. they are very good. nice and chewy (mine weren’t cakey) with a crisp outer shell. and they keep well. the banana flavor is very strong and deepens as they sit, so I wouldn’t call these the “best oat cookies” ever. that makes you think you are getting an oatmeal cookie. these are too banana-y to be in the class of a traditional oatmeal cookie.

Claire June 24, 2006 at 5:31 pm

I made these yesterday. The ones that I didn’t forget about were good. I keep forgetting to put my timer downstairs and can’t figure out how to work the timer on the microwave; so, I just estimate. That didn’t work so well yesterday!

Anna June 25, 2006 at 6:21 pm

Val, we could call them “The Best Vegan Oatmeal Banana Cookies Ever”. Claire, glad at least some of them worked out for you.

s. barker March 9, 2008 at 11:03 pm

Very, very good. Tastes a bit like banana bread, and satisfies any sweet tooth! This recipie is definately going into the favorites file.

Anna March 10, 2008 at 6:58 am

Thanks for the review!

Kim June 28, 2008 at 11:20 am

I made these yesterday for a vegan friend’s birthday. I did decrease the brown sugar a bit, as well as adding 2 TB of ground flax seed and a half-cup of golden raisins. They came out great!

Our ultra-picky 16 year old even ate them without complaint, and that is definitely saying something!

Thanks for the recipe, Satan!

Stella April 1, 2009 at 12:36 pm

This was a great, healthy cookie recipe. I made them two nights ago, and they are still delicious. Only thing is I had to add about five tablespoons of water to even be able to manipulate the dough and add all of the flour and oats.
I also agree with Val that the banana is really good, but is strong and somehow off sets the cookie from a traditional oatmeal cookie…..??

Tatiana May 31, 2009 at 9:02 am

I have a very similar recipe, (with less sugar) on my vegan blog, check it out: Awesome Vegan Girl

Tatiana

niina June 21, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Satan’s recipe includes the instruction “Rip off a chunk to see it it is still raw.” Very devilish, indeed.

TeamJewel September 30, 2009 at 11:36 am

You are so funny. I loved your opening line! My daughter and I are about to make a batch right now! Thanks!

Emily March 20, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Gotta show my love for this recipe. Every time I make them, they’re a big hit. Chewy, tasty, moist, wholesome, awesome cookies!