Crisp and Thin Chocolate Chip Cookies

by on August 16, 2006 · 9 comments

This recipe was adapted from a recipe by Amanda Hesser in the New York times. The ingredients are the same except for the amount of salt and the Lyle’s Golden Syrup. I also changed the technique a bit. These are supposed to be very crisp and thin.

crispythin.jpg

Crisp and Thin Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 (at most) scant teaspoon of kosher salt if using Morton brand, 1 scant tablespoon if using Diamond, if omitting nuts, use a bit less
14 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons Lyle’s Golden Syrup or Corn Syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk
½ cup grated or pulverized bittersweet chocolate morsels
1 cup bittersweet chocolate morsels, left whole
1 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans

Sift or thoroughly stir together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

Place butter in a microwave safe mixing bowl and melt on high for 1 minute. Add brown sugar and white sugar to hot butter and let it sit for a minute. Using high speed of a handheld electric mixer, beat for about 3 minutes or until the mixture starts to become less shiny and somewhat lighter. Using a mixing spoon, stir in syrup, vanilla and milk until thoroughly blended. Stir in flour mixture. Chill mixture for about 10 minutes. (If mixture is still warm grated chocolate will melt – I learned this the hard way).

Take it out of the refrigerator and stir in the grated chocolate and chocolate chips. Chill dough for another 30 minutes or more.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop 1 inch balls onto parchment paper, shape them into neat rounds, then flatten to about ¼ of an inch, spacing 2 inches apart.

Bake for 12-14 minutes or until edges become golden brown. Let cool on sheet for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool and crisp.

(Note: if your oven runs fast, you will want to check these at 10 minutes).

Published on August 16, 2006

cookiemonster August 16, 2006 at 2:27 pm

Those first cookies gave me a much needed laugh today….sorry, though.

Jill August 16, 2006 at 3:17 pm

Yum… Gerd’s cookies look positively delectable. ;-) The other cookies truly do look wonderful.

Anna August 16, 2006 at 3:37 pm

It looks like 9 little elves threw up on the cookie sheet.

Anonymous August 16, 2006 at 4:10 pm

It looks like your cat has been baking little kitty puke treats. Yuck! Glad the other cookies worked out though!

Jen August 16, 2006 at 4:16 pm

What was your take on the CC cookies with the salt change? How would you rate these compared to other CC cookies?

Oh, and I was sad to see the the cat puke cookies not work out as I’ve got some potato flour I should really use.

Anna August 16, 2006 at 8:31 pm

Jen, once the salt was adjusted they were terrific — best thin and crispy cookies I’ve ever made.

Anonymous, I like the idea of my cat trying to be creative in the kitchen over the nasty elves. Thanks.

Jill August 16, 2006 at 9:19 pm

Poor Gerd! But on a brighter note – I love what your doing with your blog! The links on the side are so helpful. Thanks!!

tg August 16, 2006 at 10:09 pm

so, i will say it, i’m not a super huge big fan of your “trusted source” as far as recipes go… and even as far as restaurant reviews go. but maybe that’s because i’m a bitchy critic myself. in any case, it’s a good thing the recipe had you to fix it up! dammit

Anna August 16, 2006 at 10:33 pm

Jill, thanks for the feedback on the placing of the links. I’ve had a much easier time finding things myself.

tg, what can I say? I guess I like bitchy critics. Actually, the only bitchy critic today is me because I’m complaining so much about freakin’ salt in cookies.