Erika’s Mom’s Brownies

Thanks for the ear sympathy and empathy. It’s a bit less bothersome today — or at least I’m dealing with it better. Wearing a baseball cap backwards seems to help.

Today’s cookies are brownies, and the recipe comes from Erika’s Mom’s Brownies. I was really curious to see how oil-based (as opposed to butter-based) cocoa powder brownies would taste. And hooray, they are very good! I followed Erika’s mom’s recipe as directed, but added a pinch of salt. I also took the brownies out after about 23 minutes and plunged the hot pan in a larger roasting pan filled with cold water. When the pan cooled down, I put it in the refrigerator for a few hours. Here’s what the brownies looked like when it was time to cut them. They were very good – especially if you aren’t into using butter. I used natural cocoa powder, but I think Dutch process would taste even richer and better. Since this recipe uses baking powder, it would be okay.

ericabrowniesforblog.jpg

Since it’s Friday, I thought I’d also post a picture of my freakishly large cat.

giantcat.jpg

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Those brownies do look good. And, what an adorable girl!

I’m curious why you put the pan in water to cool down (does it do something to the brownies) — I think I read on your blog awhile back that you put a pan into ice water to cool down.

Thanks,

2. Gigi says

Hi Anna! Glad your ear is feeling a little better today. These brownies look ooey gooey good. I’ll add them to the list of things to indulge in as soon as I’ve conquered my aforementioned “chocolate spread”.

By the way, I love this picture of Fuzz and your kitty! She looks simply overjoyed and the kitty looks, well, slightly underwhelmed (as most cats do). Maybe you should make these Fuzz/kitty pictures a regular Friday thing!

glad to hear how fashionable your “strategy” is (the backwards-cap look); god forbid you don’t look cool while suffering

meanwhile, kid + cat = smash hit!

4. Anna says

Hi Gigi,
    Nice idea about Cat Friday. We can watch my cat get progressively larger. He’s not fat, he’s just really big and muscular. .

‘sup, tg? Wearing my cap backwards makes me feel tough…like Eminem or Mike D from the Beastie Boys. The inconguity of it all must scare away the ear pain.

Hi KAnn, if we ever meet, I will bake you some cookies shaped like cats wearing backward hats.

Anna, glad to hear you’re feeling a bit better today. That is a very large cat with a very cute kid! However, Fuzz looks like she’s a little concerned about the cat! These brownies looks so good. Brownies are one of the few things that I’ll use a mix for as many homemade brownies are too cakey for me. But these look nice and fudgy!

6. Michelle S says

Hey Anna. Just wanted to say hi! Fuzz is so adorable. I will be baking some cookies this weekend and will think of you :-)

Hope your weekend is going well.
    Michelle

7. penguin says

Very bizarre but my mother-in-law’s tried & true brownie recipe is almost the exact same as Erika’s mom. Differences are interesting to note: 1/4 cup more flour and 1/2 cup more oil. Other than that, they are identical minus the add-ins (nuts & chips). She sometimes uses them, sometimes not, depending on her mood and what’s in the house. I wonder why hers has so much more oil?

8. Anna says

Hi Michelle! What kind of cookies did you make?

Penguin, I think Erica’s mom mentioned that her original recipe used shortening. Either way, the amount of oil in these is plenty. I’d still be curious to see your MIL’s recipe.

9. Michelle S. says

mmmmm, some very good cookies!!! :-) I’m munching on a Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookie. I used Ghirardelli chocolate and they are rich. I’m cutting the richness with Mexican Vanilla/Mexican Chocolate Blue Bell ice cream :-) Also, made Peanut Jumbles and Snickerdoodles. I got the recipes from Greak Cookies by Carole Walter.

10. Anna says

I saw that Carole Walters book this weekend at B&N. Looks like a good one.

But what really sounds good is that ice cream! I haven’t seen that flavor.

Oh I’m glad you got around to making these brownies, and that they turned out good. I’m glad to know I’m not in love with a strange brownie.

And yes, Mom did say that the original recipe she had used shortening, but didn’t say how much. I just can’t imagine that tasting very good…

12. Anna says

Hi Erika,

First off, I’m sorry I kept spelling your name wrong! I will change that. I think the shortening might not be so bad if you used Crisco Butter Flavor. I’ve been sort of paranoid of transfats lately and haven’t, but I think it would taste good.

13. Anna says

Hi Erika,

Lol Anna! You must really be sorry about my name… :-) I guess I’ll go delete all the nasty comments I’ve been making about the blogger who can’t even bother to spell my name right. ;-)

15. Tricia says

I just stumbled upon this blog, but had to post as I also have a very similar kitty (similar markings) that can reach his nose over the kitchen table while standing on his hind legs. Yes, a very long, large cat!