My Version of the KA Better Than Storebought

Thank goodness I’m done with cupcakes. Not that there’s anything wrong with them, but I find them stressful. I needed to get back on track with regular cookies, so I baked up a batch of these for my hairdresser and her co-workers.

This recipe was adapted from King Arthur’s “Good-as-Store-Bought”. The cookies are kind of like the Neiman Marcus cookies, but flatter, moister and chewier. My version of King Arthur’s recipe (besides making a smaller yield) uses toasted oats and nuts and much less espresso powder. For King Arthur’s version, check the KA cookie companion.

betterthan.jpg

My Version of King Arthur’s Good-as-Store-Bought

1 1/4 cups oats (not instant)
3/4 cup whole pecans
8 tablespoons butter, room temperature, unsalted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour (4 ΒΌ ounces)
1/2 teaspoon each – baking powder, baking soda and Morton kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon espresso powder
3 ounces dark chocolate
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lay oats on 1 cookie sheet and nuts on another. Toast together for 8 minutes or until nuts start to smell (toast oats on top shelf, nuts on bottom). Let oats cool completely before using.

Meanwhile, cream butter, both sugars, egg and vanilla. Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt and espresso powder. Stir into butter mixture.

Grind up cooled toasted oats and chocolate in food processor. Stir into batter. Chop toasted pecans and stir toasted pecans and chocolate chips into batter.

Drop large, rounded scoops onto a lined cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes or until just set.

Let cool on sheet for 5 minutes.

Makes about 18 cookies.

By the way, the reason I am now giving the brand names for salt is because the New York Times responded to my query and re-tested the salty cookies. They were nice enough to send me a letter saying they were surprised to find out that Diamond salt (the salt they used for their cookies) is actually not nearly as salty as Morton and that we have opened up a whole new set of questions, as many of their recipes are tested with Diamond.

Comments

1. cookiemonster says

NM cookies are my favorites…..I add Heath Chocolate covered Toffee Bits to them……sinful!!!

Off the subject, but the Vegan Lunchbox (www.veganlunchbox.blogspot.com) has a link to a cookbook with Larabar-type cookies in it. Here is the quote:

“Simple Foods for the Pack. . . . Ah, and those of you who are addicted to Larabars will be happy to note that this book includes an entire collection of “fudges” made from mashed dried fruits, dates, and nuts.”

3. Jen says

So, are you baking cookies exclusively with kosher salt these days? What are your thoughts on it in cookies as opposed to regular table salt?

4. Anna says

Steph, I love Vegan Lunchbox.

Jen, I don’t taste a difference with Morton Kosher salt, but two people (beside the two at the NYT) have told me that Diamond yields a superior cookie. So if I can find some Diamond kosher, I might try it.

5. Molli says

Steph-

Thanks for the Vegan Lunchbox post. I really like Larabars – eat one almost every day – and would love some recipes to try at home.

6. Xiaolu says

I just baked these cookies this morning with several changes: reduced pecans to 1/4 cup and processed with oats/chocolate, reduced dark chocolate to 1.5 oz, 3/4 cup chopped chocolate instead of chips. These were fabulous! I brought them to work and they disappeared within 2 hours. Thanks for the inspiration!