Toasted Oats & Browned Butter Granola Bars

by on August 9, 2006 · 12 comments

If I don’t accomplish anything else today, at least I can go to bed knowing I used up the rest of yesterday’s condensed milk.

Today’s cookie was a granola bar. Eagle brand has a recipe on their site, but I didn’t want to use peanuts and I wanted a much smaller batch, so I made some changes.

First off, I used a 9 inch square pan. It worked out fine, but an 8 inch pan would work just as well if that’s all you have. I also toasted the oats, seeds and almonds and browned the butter. These are small steps, but they make a noticeable difference in the end product.

The only sweetness in these comes from the dried fruit and the condensed milk. These were plenty sweet, but not candy-like sweet.

Here are the ingredients. You could make whatever you want just by varying the brand/variety of mixed fruits. If you’ve been to Target lately, Archer Farms now makes about 300 gazillion varieties. I used a mix of cherries, blueberries, raisins, and other things.

1cmilkgranolabars 001.jpg

Here’s a picture of the batter. It looked kind of grayish for some reason. Maybe stain from the dried blueberries? Luckily, the bars didn’t take on a gray/purple hue.

2cmilkgranolabars 003.jpg

And here are the bars. They were chewy/crispy right out of the oven and will no doubt, harden up quite a bit after being chilled. I’ll definitely make them again. I’d like to try a no-fruit, chocolate chip & peanut butter version next…..or maybe a mocha chip version. Since these aren’t particularly sweet, I think they would take well to a handful of flavored chips being thrown in at the end – maybe cappuccino, cinnamon, butterscotch?

3cmilkgranolabars 004.jpg

Toasted Oats & Browned Butter Granola Bars

1 1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup almonds (I used a mixture of whole almonds and sliced)
4 tablespoons salted butter
1/2 of a 14 oz can of condensed milk
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2-3/4 cup mixed dried fruit

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment. Spread oats, sunflower seeds and almonds over sheet and toast for 8-10 minutes or until the mixture starts to smell good.

Meanwhile, line a 9 inch square pan with parchment paper.

Place butter in a small saucepan and melt over medium heat. Cook melted butter for another minute or just until you start to see bits of brown around the edges. Swirl butter a bit in pan and remove from heat.

Dump toasted oat mixture into a large bowl. Stir in condensed milk, browned butter, cinnamon and vanilla. Press mixture into lined pan. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until lightly brown around edges

Published on August 9, 2006

Ms. Chevious August 9, 2006 at 1:44 pm

Snort. Love Mr. Quaker’s antennae. Bars look yummy too!

Anna August 9, 2006 at 2:11 pm

I got carried away with the little paintbrush tool.

surcie August 9, 2006 at 3:01 pm

Hey, I just saw you on Oprah!

Anna August 9, 2006 at 3:58 pm

Oh yeah? How funny. Glad I keep the TV on Disney Channel ;).

Janice August 9, 2006 at 7:28 pm

Hey Anna!!
I saw you on Oprah too! You really do come up with some amazing ideas! Any more contests coming up? I love looking through your past recipes for sweet ideas… plus the pictures make my mouth water!

Kristin August 9, 2006 at 11:37 pm

Ok, here’s my review:

Good nutty/granola texture without being so chewy that it makes my mouth hurt. Sorta like the Powerbar Trail Mix bars, or the Mojo bar without the vitamin-y aftertaste. I am a fan of these!

Steph August 10, 2006 at 5:36 am

I love the photoshop doodles! : ) Your blog is really a day-brightener – and the bars look good too.

Anna August 10, 2006 at 7:38 am

Janice, Oprah was lots of fun. I especially liked staying at The Omni ;).

Kristin, thanks for throwing out a review. Also, yours were probably chewier than usual because they were right out of the refrigerator.

Steph, thanks for appreciating my highly refined doodling ability.

Terri August 10, 2006 at 8:53 am

Love the doodling! These look really good. Any idea of the nutritional value (calories, fat grams, etc.)? I’m looking forward to making them.

Anna August 10, 2006 at 9:04 am

I just put them into Mastercook. I pasted the values below. They came in at 50% fat, but keep in mind a lot of that fat is from almonds and Sunflower seeds — good fat.

Per 1/12 of a 9 inch pan

229 Calories;
14g Fat
(53.1% calories from fat); 6g Protein;
22g Carbohydrate;
3g Dietary Fiber;
16mg Cholesterol;
62mg Sodium.

Terri August 10, 2006 at 12:31 pm

Thanks for the info. These will be good pre-run.

sandra July 16, 2009 at 12:16 pm

i just made these and they are great! i used a mixture of apricots, blueberries, cranberries, cherries and raisins for dried fruit. I used a slightly larger rectangular pan because they seemed too think in a 9″ one, probably because i had like a whole cup of fruit. next time i think i would add toasted rice things, like rice krispies and put them in a bigger pan.
thanks for the recipe!!