Oatmeal Cookies

I have a lot of good oatmeal cookie recipes. In fact, I can’t pick a “best” because my favorites vary given my mood. But for those of you looking for a reliable and tasty recipe, this is a good one.

This recipe is an offshoot of Crescent Dragonwagon’s recipe which she called “Dairy Hollow House” cookies.
The ingredients are pretty much the same, but I make the cookies in smaller batches and use a few different techniques.

If you take the cookies out at 10 minutes (they’ll seem underbaked inside) and let them sit for a while, they have a very soft, dense middle. If you cook them for 12 minutes, they’re more uniform throughout. Here’s a picture. These were baked for 12 minutes.

oatmealcookiesforblog.jpg

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups regular or quick cooking oats, not instant
1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted and cooled

Cover raisins with warm water and soak for about 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry

Using high speed of electric mixer, beat both sugars, butter, and shortening. Beat in egg and vanilla.

Remove 1 tablespoon of flour and set aside. Sift together remaining flour, soda, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Combine flour mixture with oats and add to batter. Toss reserved flour with raisins and pecans; stir into batter.

Chill dough for at least one hour.

Form chilled dough into rounds a little smaller than a golfball, then press rounds into ½ inch thick discs. Place discs 2 inches apart on a parchment or silpat or non-stick baking sheet. If you do not wish to make the dough at this time, place the discs into freezer bags and chill or freeze until ready.

Bake for 10-12 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven.

Makes about 20

Comments

1. Jen says

Hmmm…I really liked those Jumbo Oatmeal Raisn Cookies (from Everyday Food) that you sent me so I’ll have to try these to compare.

2. Anna says

I hate to admit it, but I really like these. They’re crunchy and hard and have a hint of coconut.

Jen, I’d like to hear your opinion on how the two compare.

3. Jen says

If I didn’t have to chill them for an hour, I’d make them tonight but perhaps an Oatmeal Cookie bake-off this weekend is in order.:-)

I have a big test week coming up next week, so studying is majorly in order…but I’m going to have to take a baking break! I’ve got recipes floating around in my head that I must try! I read your interview on that blog site preview thing and can totally understand you pecan delimma…aren’t those the only nuts in the world? BTW, thanks for the roasting nuts hint…I now roast my nuts before I put them in any baked good! So much better.

5. Anna says

Claire, I am happy to hear that you roast your nuts. It’s such a small thing, but so critical. Sometimes I feel bad for people who don’t like nuts in baked goods because I imagine that they’be been exposed to untoasted or unroasted nuts.

Brenda, I always soak raisins. They tend to dry out if you don’t. There are some new raisins that are “pre-plumped” for baking. Those are great too.

6. Lauren says

Great recipe! I made them tonight minus the raisins and the nuts (for the boyfriend’s sake). They were a huge hit! Thanks again.

7. ANna says

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for the feedback. I always worry that I’ve made a typo of left out a step. Glad they worked out for you!

8. Gigi says

I too love oatmeal cookies but can’t seem to find a recipe that comes out quite right. For some reason, mine always turn out like chocolate chip cookies that were made with raisins instead of chocolate chips, know what I mean?

I’ll have to give these a try. I’m already encouraged by the photo – they look really yummy!

9. Anonymous says

Looking for oatmeal cookies containing dried apricots and raisins as well as walnuts or pecans