Bailey’s Irish Cream Brownie Pie

by on November 26, 2006 · 16 comments

I made up this recipe last year when I was on a Bailey’s kick. Wait a minute. I’m always on a Bailey’s kick! This is an easy, Jell-O pudding based pie and it’s really good.

This is what today’s pie looks like. I accidentally used chocolate pudding mix instead of my usual vanilla pudding mix. While the chocolate is delicious, I prefer this pie made with vanilla pudding mix because you get more of a flavor and color contrast between layers – a deep chocolate layer and a lighter, tanner, Irish Cream layer.

Irish Cream Pie

Bailey’s Irish Cream Brownie Pie

1 (10.5 oz) packet fudge brownie mix (Betty Crocker)*
4 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons water
1 large egg
1 (3 oz) packet Jell-O Cook & Serve vanilla pudding mix
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup Bailey’s Irish Cream
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or 6 oz chopped semi-sweet chocolate
3 1/4 cups frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed (8 oz container)
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch deep-dish glass pie plate very well.

In a mixing bowl, stir together brownie mix, oil, water and egg until mixed. Spread brownie batter in pie plate; bake for 20-23 minutes or until cooked, but still fudgy. Set aside.

Place a mixing bowl (approximately 2 quarts) next to stove.

In a saucepan, whisk together pudding mix, milk, Bailey’s and gelatin. Turn heat to medium and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens and starts to boil. Turn off heat. Pour approximately 1 cup of the hot pudding mixture into bowl next to stove. Add chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate) to hot pudding mixture in saucepan and stir until chocolate melts (no need for extra heat). Pour hot melted chocolate/pudding mixture over brownie crust, spreading to just shy of the edge.

Lay a small sheet of waxed paper over both chocolate mixture in pie plate and Irish Cream mixture in bowl; let both cool to room temperature. This takes a little over an hour, so go do something else.

When cool, fold 2 cups of whipped topping into the bowl of vanilla pudding/Irish Cream mixture. Spread Irish Cream mixture over melted chocolate/pudding mixture which you have already spread over the crust; Reserve remaining whipped topping.

Chill for about 4 hours. Spread reserved whipped topping over top. When ready to serve, sift cocoa powder over top.

Makes 10 servings

Published on November 26, 2006

Jami November 26, 2006 at 9:48 pm

Hello Anna!! I have followed your site for quite a while… I found it after watching you on the Pillsbury Cookoff on Food Network. I have failed to ever comment because tending to a toddler tends to takeover any extra time for such things! lol I’m sure you know that feeling though huh?! Anywho, I just wanted to tell say thank you for posting all of these wonderful recipes on here… and posting the photo’s with them. I absolutely love to cook and it gives me a lot of great recipes reading your site. The photo’s are so helpful to let you know what the finished product should look like and such. This has definately become one of my most favorite sites to make time to come to everyday and read and I’m even beginning to get my dear hubby addicted to it as well!! haha I hope that you have a most wonderful holiday season and I can’t wait to see all of the recipes that you continue to post on here…!!! God bless, Jami

lori November 26, 2006 at 11:28 pm

MMMM…looks YUMMY! That is one I think I will have to try. I bet it would be interesting with kaluha too.

Once again, thanks for sharing!

tg November 27, 2006 at 12:30 am

fab entry – the beginning made me laugh, and then all the good eenfo. U R the greatest

DonnaJ November 27, 2006 at 3:28 am

Droooool! Oh-my-God! A friend of mine sent me this link because I LOVE Baileys! I can’t wait to make this and share it a few select friends who don’t really like chocolate or Baileys. More for me that way. You said it has no calories right?? Cause I’m on a nasty diet….

Sharon November 27, 2006 at 6:00 am

I made homemade Bailey’s for the first time over Thanksgiving, and it turned out great– So easy and CHEAP. I can indulge my cravings guilt-free, and now I won’t feel guilty using it for cooking instead of drinking! Can’t wait to try the pie.

Anna November 27, 2006 at 7:46 am

Jami, thanks so much for the very nice comment. You just made my day. Of course, it’s only 7:43 AM.

Lori, I think Kahlua would work too. You might want to use 1/4 cup Kah and 1/4 half & half cream rather than a full half of Kahlua since Kahlua is strong.

Donna, this dessert is calorie free. In fact, eating it makes all the other calories you ate during the day turn negative.

Sharon, I made Bailey’s a few years ago and it was a hit. I poured it into old, washed out Jones Soda bottles then made my own labels.

Lori November 27, 2006 at 10:16 am

Good tip, I bet it would be way too strong if you didn’t cut it somehow.

LOL…I knew my spelling of kahlua looked funny ..hehe, it was late and I should have been asleep! :)

Can’t wait to try it!

Mariam November 27, 2006 at 11:57 am

So I tried your best pecan pie yet recipe again with some Baker’s crust instead of the stinky Marie Calender’s which let me down so completely, and it turned out fantastic. My sweetie ate almost the whole pie in a day. My only adjustment was to add a tablespoon of bourbon.

Anna November 27, 2006 at 12:15 pm

Mariam, that is great news! Thanks for the report.

JD November 27, 2006 at 2:17 pm

That looks delicious. You have the best cookie recipes.

Brent November 27, 2006 at 4:25 pm

I found you after seeing you win on TV too, and this is one of my favorite web sites to visit. I come here almost every day.

I can’t wait to try to make this pie.

Thanks from me too for your great site.

Anna November 27, 2006 at 8:13 pm

JD, I’m glad you like the recipes. I try to pick out good ones, but it’s hard because there are so many out there.

Hi Brent. Thanks for the comment. It’s nice to hear from people who read the site. I hope you like the pie. I just found another recipe today which someone swears by. I don’t know if I’ll even try it because I’m so happy with that last one. Then again….

Brilynn November 28, 2006 at 9:00 am

Bailey’s- Good. Brownies- Good. Pie- Good. Put it all together- Real gooooooood!

Julie O'Hara November 28, 2006 at 12:50 pm

Anna, another creamy pie! I don’t know if I can handle a whole layer of brownie AND all the other additions. Definitely decadent, but I love Bailey’s too!

Kristen November 30, 2006 at 3:39 pm

Oh my gosh… this pie would be heaven! I can’t wait to give it a try. Thanks for sharing the recipe… I know it will be a hit!

Lindsey March 20, 2008 at 5:33 pm

I made this on St. Patrick’s day and everyone loved it (even the person who isn’t a big fan of chocolate desserts). Thanks!