Galette des Rois (Another One)

galette for blog.jpg

Instead of using both sheets of puff pastry and making it round, I used 1 sheet of puff pastry and simply baked it up as a rectangle. Here is my version of the recipe. I will probably do the round version tomorrow. The round version is done the same way, but instead of using one sheet of pastry, you use 2 sheets and cut two 11 inch circles. If you are doing a round version, you might want to double the filling. The amount of filling I had was fine for a rectangle….more than enough, in fact. But for a round, you might want more.

Galette des Rois

1/2 of a 7 oz roll of almond paste
1/4 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter — softened
1 medium size egg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 pinch salt
1 roll of frozen puff pastry from a (17.25 ounce) package, thawed
1 dry kidney bean (optional)
1 egg — beaten
1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar for dusting

Place the almond paste into a food processor or blender with half of the sugar, and process until well blended. Add the butter and remaining sugar using and process until smooth, then blend in 1 egg, vanilla extract, almond extract, flour and salt. Set aside.

Roll the sheet of the puff pastry into an 11 inch square. Keep the pastry cool, do not knead or stretch. Carefully cut the square in half to make two rectangles. Place each rectangle on a separate sheet of parchment paper. Keeping parchment underneath, place one rectangle on a cookie sheet

Spoon as much almond filling as possible down the center of the pastry that is on the baking sheet (I had a bit leftover). If you do the larger galette with both sheets, you will have just enough filling. Leave about 1 1/2 inch margin at the edges. Press the bean or feve down into the filling. Place the second sheet of pastry on top, and press down the edges to seal. Crimp decoratively with a fork.

Place entire galette in refrigerator for 2 hours to chill. This will help prevent spreading.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Beat the remaining egg with a fork, and lightly brush onto the top of the gallette. Use a sharp knife and make a few slits in the top of the rectangle.

Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Do not open the oven until the time is up, as the pastry will not fully puff. Remove from the oven, and dust with confectioners’ sugar. Return to the oven, and cook for an additional 8 to 10 minutes, or until the top is a deep golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Comments

Anna that galette is stunning! Looks very professional and delicious. And the toffee is making me dream of my holiday candy-making sessions. I gotta get going on that!

2. carole says

Anna

Relax you’ll do just fine. You were cool as a cucumber at the PBO and the stakes were much greater there.

3. Janet says

Anna: I watched the Oprah video and you were not only lovely but showed a wonderful sense of humor! You are a star and look at all the wonderful things you just made! I am looking forward to hearing how it goes. I believe you will be a huge success!!! Enjoy, Janet

4. Therese/Wisconsin Cheesehead says

Anna:

You are the queen on the artistry of baking, you will be aweseome! And yumm, yumm, yumm, your trials look superior!!!!
    I wish I could be taking the class!! Those lucky baking peeps!!
    ENJOY YOU WILL BE WONDERFUL!

5. Jackie says

I wish I could take the class too. Maybe you could film it and we could watch it on youtube.com! Good luck. You’ll be great.

6. Anna says

Thanks for the supportive comments. I’m not worried about talking to people so much as forgetting ingredients, tools, etc. I’ll report back afterwards.

Jackie, that is a great idea. It would be fun editing it and adding in goofy music. I could make it like pop up videos…
    Nah, I’m too lazy.

Humm I want to eat toffees ! As for the galette, I guess I’m not gonna make one before january and this year it’s thousand that I’ll make (welcome to the world of pastry chefs :( ).

8. Sharon says

The galette sounds and looks yummy. Maybe a silly question… but what’s with the bean? Do you leave it in? Is it like a good luck thing that whoever gets the bean gets to make a wish?

9. Anna says

The bean is like the plastic baby in a King Cake. Whoever gets the bean gets to be King or Queen for a day.

10. Janet says

Hi! I am very excited because I just made the galette des rois. It is chilling in the fridge and I can’t wait to see if I did it correctly. I made the rectangular size you mentioned and had about half of the filling left…do you think I put enough in it? Thanks again!

11. Anna says

Janet, it should be fine.

The filling amount you put in should be fine. I usually don’t use all of it either.

One thing I’ve learned about this galette recipe is that it is REALLY important to seal the edges tightly. If you don’t, the filling might leak out a bit.

12. Janet says

Hello again! This is not only delicious but the presentation is WOW! Thanks for the inspiration! You are right the filling amount was correct and now I have enough left to make another and share with a friend! Sorry but I just can’t seem to get over how pretty it is!!! lol

13. Anna says

Janet, I hope your family enjoys it. Maybe for the next one, you could put something in with the almond filling….I mean besides the plasic baby. My friend David says he thinks pears would be good. Me, I’d like to try chocolate. Or how about cherry pie filling??? I’m glad yours didn’t leak.

Thanks again to Michael and Cindy (and Clotilde) for talking about galettes.