Whole Wheat Cut Out Cookies

by on November 8, 2006 · 7 comments

I didn’t even notice this recipe until today when Fuzz came home from school and embarked on a relentless campaign to make cut-out cookies. She’s obsessed with worms this week, so I wasn’t surprised when our dough cutting session evolved into a bunch of worm making and worm story telling and worm eating. Eating raw dough is not smiled upon around here, but I am happy to say that this particular dough contains no raw eggs. It’s also easy to halve, which comes in handy when you are making it for someone with a short attention span. It’s easy to work with and the cookies can be made very thin of you cut them out right on the Silpat.

This bat photo, while not very good, shows you just how thin these cookies are.

wheatbat.jpg

Best of all, the cookies are really good thanks to the wheat, orange and vanilla flavor. I wouldn’t bother with decorating because mucking these up with icing just kills the wholesomeness groove that’s going on here. Really, they are good plain.

Whole Wheat Cut-Out Cookies Adapted from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking: Delicious Recipes Using Nutritious Whole Grains (King Arthur Flour Cookbooks) — a GREAT cookbook and one I recommend.

3/4 cup unsalted butter ( 6 oz)
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar (6 ¼ oz)
1/4 cup orange juice (2 oz)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups traditional whole wheat flour (8 oz)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder.

Beat the butter, sugar and salt in a medium bowl, then add the orange juice, vanilla, flour and baking powder. Divided the dough into 2 pieces, wrape each piece in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.

Roll each section into a 14 inch circle, cut out into shapes and bake at 350 for 14 minutes.

Makes “I don’t know”

Published on November 8, 2006

Erika November 8, 2006 at 9:11 pm

Lol about the worms! Have you read “Diary of a Worm” by Doreen Cronin with Fuzz? It’s more funny for Mom and kids when they’re young, but my kids love that book.

Melody November 8, 2006 at 9:55 pm

A baking blog about worms AND a link to “They Might Be Giants?” Bravo!
And you get extra points for using the bat cutter a week after Halloween! Bat shaped cookies should not be banished to only one day a year!

Therese November 9, 2006 at 7:49 am

Worms….too funny. Whew I was relieved as I read your blog that there wasn’t a pinworm pandemic at school.
This recipe looks great! I will have to put that cookbook on my x-mas wish list.
Thanks for sharing such great recipes with us!!

Anna November 9, 2006 at 8:04 am

Erika, I have never heard of Diary of a Worm, but I mentioned it to Fuzz and she wants me to find it…pronto.

Melody, I forgot all about that song until yesterday. I was so happy to find it on YouTube. Fuzz liked it more than I did and watched it about 900 times. As for the bat, Austin is bat town. We have one of the largest bat colonies in the world living here under the Congress Avenue bridge. They’re here in the summer, but around late October, they go live in Mexico.

Therese, we haven’t had any pinworm pandemics yet…thank goodness. I hope you watched the video.

I think that might be one of my favorite TMBG songs ever next to “Version 3 of Hotel Detective (in the future)” sung by Linnell. It’s impossible to find on the Internet.

Anyway, the cookies are really good. I loved the wheat.

steph bachman November 9, 2006 at 7:40 pm

Worms! Ha – we are listening to “How to Eat Fried Worms” on the i-pod right now. We are hoping that it will inspire our kiddo to eat something – anything.

Marjeta December 9, 2007 at 6:16 am

I tried this recipe yesterday, and the dough was crumbly and it was falling apart. What did I do wrong?

Tamsyn October 28, 2010 at 9:24 am

This was really yummy! It is my new favorite edible play dough for my kids. The cookies turned out well too, but the dough is really sticky, so use lots of flour. Thanks for sharing this!