Pumpkin Bread With Dark Chocolate Chips

by on November 27, 2006 · 10 comments

This recipe is something I adapted from a BB online recipe and allrecipes.com. Both of these recipes make double loaves, so I halved the recipe and played around with the flavorings a tiny bit. My version is below, but I think they are all more or less the same. The key ingredient is the pudding mix and the intro on allrecipes.com saying “think of this as pumpkin pie in bread form” is good advice.

When I took the loaf out of the oven, I really wanted to cut into. Of course since I baked it for my grandma, I couldn’t, because that would have been rude. In hindsight, I don’t think she would have cared, but at the time I felt I should keep it whole. All I can say is it smelled so good, and I could tell after doing the toothpick test that it was going to be a very, very moist bread.

I called my grandmother after the holiday and tried to get an objective review. She said she liked it a lot, commented on how moist it was, then asked my opinion as to how she should prepare it. That is, whether it should be toasted or what. This kind of led me to believe that maybe she found it too moist, but she said she didn’t. Anyway, if someone makes this, please let me know. If should have made a batch of this today instead of those brownies.

Pumpkin Bread with Dark Chocolate Chips

1 cup canned pumpkin
2 large eggs
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 (3.4 oz) box vanilla instant pudding mix
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a loaf pan (9×5) with flour-added cooking spray.

In a large bowl, stir together pumpkin, eggs, oil, pudding mix and sugar.

Remove 1 teaspoon of the flour and toss with chocolate chips. Set chips aside.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir the flour mixtre into the pumpkin mixture, mixing only until combined. Stir in flour-coated chocolate chips.

Scrape batter into pan and bake for 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Published on November 27, 2006

Julie O'Hara November 28, 2006 at 1:22 pm

It must have been the weekend of pumpkin bread. I made mini pumpkin-cranberry-walnut-loaves on Sunday. I love to make these for the holidays and they freeze so well. I’ll be posting that recipe soon.

tori November 28, 2006 at 3:04 pm

I just made the bread in your recipe except I didn’t have vanilla pudding so I used chocolate. It is really really good! Very moist and yummy. I think I would prefer it with vanilla pudding, but my kids will definitely appreciate this in their lunch boxes tomorrow (or tonight for a snack after school!) You come up with the best recipes!

Anna November 28, 2006 at 5:43 pm

Julie, I’ll be checking for that recipe.

Hi Tori,Thanks for making the bread. Now if only you had a picture for me so I could post it. Guess I still have to make it. I’m curious to know if the chocolate pudding muddied up the color much. Mine wa

tori November 29, 2006 at 7:57 am

Ours is gone now and I forgot to take a picture! Everyone thought it was brownies (even after tasting it) so I would say it definitely muddied the color. I am going to make it again with vanilla pudding as soon as I get to the store this weekend.

Therese November 29, 2006 at 8:09 am

Anna!

I made this bread! It was delicious! I tweeked it a little too. I added 1/2 cup flour and probably 3/4 tsp. baking soda/salt. I also purchased (on clearance), at Target, some chocolate brownie glazed walnuts/Emerald Brand. I probably added 1/2 cup, coarsely chopped.
It made the kitchen smell divine! I was having fun experimenting. I love those glazed walnuts! Very sturdy and crunchy!
Thanks for the inspiring recipe!!

Emily December 6, 2007 at 1:41 pm

I tried this recipe today with toasted walnuts instead of dark chocolate chips and I substituted unsweetened applesauce for half of the oil. It came out great! I don’t have a camera or else I’d take a picture for you. You were right in your suspicions that it was a very moist bread. The middle is incredibly moist. I think it’s fantastic.

Anna December 6, 2007 at 1:47 pm

Hi Emily,

Thanks for letting me know that the applesauce sub works. That’s good news.

alyshalynn August 5, 2008 at 6:12 pm

[IMG]http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff117/servemethesky/100_0255.jpg[/IMG]

this bread is super moist. i made two thin loafs, topped off flour on top of the 1 cup to about 1 and 1/4 cups, and also over loaded the 1/2tsp of baking powder. i cooked the loaf for about 20 min longer at 300 once the 70min @ 325 was up, and it’s still a pretty gooey loaf in the middle.

Anna August 5, 2008 at 6:36 pm

Thanks for the photo! Definitely looks like pumpkin pie in cake form.

alyshalynn November 14, 2008 at 5:16 pm

so i just saw an episode of America’s Test Kitchen where they made pumpkin cheesecake. one of the steps they went through was covering a cookie sheet in paper towels in three layers, then spreading the pumpkin filling across it, then placing another three layers of paper towels on top and pushing down easily. all of this was done in order to remove moisture from the filling, and the host said it removes up to 4oz of wet weight. using this step may help the texture from becoming too suspiciously moist.