Pumpkin Pie

by on November 2, 2006 · 7 comments

Rather than bake it into cookies, I ate my Halloween candy straight up today. I do have my eye on a couple of Heath Bar Brownie recipes, but haven’t come across anything that sounds really creative or appealing or like it would be an improvement over the candy itself. Of course, I’ll keep looking.

In other news, Fuzz made a pumpkin pie last night. She used this recipe from Eagle Brand. I am not a huge pumpkin pie fan, but this one was good. It had a nice texture and had the perfect amount of sweetness. It took about 5 minutes to prepare…..maybe not even that long. We’ve decided that from here on out, she will make the pumpkin pie every year.

Published on November 2, 2006

Laurel November 3, 2006 at 5:55 am

There’s a cookie recipe on epicurious.com that I’ve made many times over the years…I think it’s really quite impressive. It uses chopped Heath bars. Check out the site and search for Giant Chocolate-Toffee Cookies. It’s a Bon Appetit recipe.

Congratulations on the pumpkin pie! A budding baker.

Laurel

Anna November 3, 2006 at 8:10 am

Laurel, thanks for the tip. Those cookies would definitely upgrade a Heath Bar. I think I’ll make the dough and go get my car inspected while the dough chills.

carole November 3, 2006 at 9:07 am

Did you take a picture of Fuzz’s pie. Very impressive for a five-year-old

Erika November 3, 2006 at 9:25 am

Oh how fun!! Abigail just asked if she could make a pumpkin pie soon, and this was the recipe I am going to have her use. Glad to know it’s kid friendly.

Kristin W November 3, 2006 at 10:04 am

Anna, do you bake or buy pie crust? I’m planning to have my grandmother give me a pie crust lesson when I go home for Thanksgiving, but if there’s an especially good store-bought one for when you’re short on time, I’d love to know which one!

Anna November 3, 2006 at 10:28 am

Carole, I didn’t take a picture of it. It’s not that exciting looking, really. It tastes good, though! The spices really make the pie special.

Erika, this condensed milk pie was a really good recipe for kids. Which leads me to the crust…

Kristin, I used a Mrs. Smith’s frozen crust. I like to make homemade crusts when I have time, but I had this frozen crust lying around and wanted to get rid of it. Todd, who didn’t know I used frozen crust, commented on how good the crust was. So if you are in a SUPER hurry, Mrs. Smith’s makes a good frozen, pre-formed crust. And of course, you can’t go wrong with the Pillsbury ready to roll crusts.

My opinion is that it’s better to just buy the crust rather than NOT make a pie at all because you are intimidated by the idea of making a crust.

carole November 3, 2006 at 12:27 pm

I am not real good at pie crusts but here is a hint for anybody who is. This is a tip from my grandmother and great grandmother.

When making a crust for a fruit pie, no matter what your recipe, replace the iced water with iced orange juice.