Key Lime Pie with True Lime

by on January 1, 2007 · 7 comments

I like my key lime pie very tart, so I decided to add a little True Lime to a traditional key lime pie from Epicurious. I think the True Lime really did add some extra zing.

Tart Key Lime Pie

Key Lime Pie

Crust:
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 crushed or finely chopped almonds
2 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons butter, melted

Filling:
1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk (Eagle Brand)
4 large egg yolks
3/4 teaspoon “True Lime” (optional) — may substitute a teaspoon or so of lime zest
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh or bottled key lime juice

Topping:
3/4 cup chilled heavy cream plus sugar to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch pie plate.

Stir together graham cracker crumbs, crushed almonds, sugar, and butter in a bowl, then dump mixture into pie plate and press into the bottom and slightly up sides. Bake crust in middle of oven 10 minutes and cool in pie plate on a rack. Leave oven on.

Make filling. In a mixing bowl, stir together condensed milk and egg yolks. Stir in lime powder, followed by juice. Pour filling into crust, Lay a sheet of foil loosely over top and bake for 15 minutes. Cool pie completely on rack (filling will set as it cools), then chill, covered for 8 hours. Whip cream into soft peaks. Add sugar to taste and pipe along edge of pie. Decorate with sliced key limes if you have some extras.

Published on January 1, 2007

Janet January 2, 2007 at 7:05 am

Belated Happy Holidays to you and your family! I have been enjoying the many recipes you have posted during the season. Thanks! This Key Lime pie looks goooood! Where do you find the powdered Real Lime?

Anna January 2, 2007 at 8:00 am

Hi Janet,

The pie really is good if you like your pie a little sour.

I found True Lemon and True Lime in the spice aisle.

Amy January 2, 2007 at 8:45 am

Key Lime Pie is one of our favorites! And yes, we like it on the sour side. Happy New Year, Anna!

Anna January 3, 2007 at 8:15 am

Hi Sonia,

A whole can of regular Eagle brand has 30 grams of fat. 4 egg yolks have 20. The filling alone has 50 grams of fat, so divide that by 8 and you know there are at least 6 grams of fat in 1/8 of the filling. 1/8 of the crust has at least 6 grams, so this is not a low calorie pie.

If you wanted to, you could use reduced fat Eagle brand and use a prepared reduced fat crust. OR, you could just sprinkle some graham cracker crumbs across the bottom of the plate and pour the filling over. I wouldn’t bother with fat free Eagle Brand because the texture would be off.

Another alternative is to try Kraftfoods. This pie looks pretty good, though you might want to use a combo of lite and fat free cream cheese rather than all fat free.

And then of course, you could throw in some True Lime to make it spikier ;).

True Lime has a recipe on their web site you might like. It’s not real key lime pie, but it might give you the flavors you are craving. You could make it as directed below, but use sugar free vanilla pudding and lite Cool Whip.

Key Lime Pie
From True Lime

1 Graham Cracker Pie Crusts (6 oz.)

Filling
2 cups cold milk
1 pkg. (4-serving size) vanilla flavor instant pudding & pie filling
10 packets True Lime (or to taste)
1 tub (8 oz.) frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed

1. Pour milk into large bowl. Add pudding mix and True Lime.
2. Beat with wire whisk for 2 minutes or until smooth. (Mixture
will be thick.)
3. Immediately stir in 1/2 of the whipped topping. Spoon into
crust.
4. Refrigerate 4 hours or until set. Garnish with remaining
whipped topping.

Wow, I re-read this and it sounds like I work for True Lime/True Lemon. Trust me, I don’t. I just get excited about new products.

cybele January 3, 2007 at 6:30 pm

I love a good, tart key lime pie too … too often I have it and it’s creamy and mellow.

I’ll have to keep and eye out for True Lime (I usually just make the custard and serve it in rammekins instead of the whole crust thing).

Georgina January 31, 2008 at 3:46 am

can i use ur picture?

Anna January 31, 2008 at 7:50 am

Sure, Georgina. Thanks for asking!