Top 10 — Winter 2007 (First Top 10)

Cookie Madness has a new look!  The blogroll is still a work in progress, but it’s getting there.

Along with the new layout, I’ve cleaned up the categories and added a Top 10 Cookies category.  I have a hard time with “Top 10″ lists because my tastes are changing with age.However, I selected the 10 recipes which have been or will be repeats for various reasons.All of them are fairly easy and have been made and approved by others. Below is a quick rundown.  If you’ve had a cookie failure with any of these recipes, let me know so we can troubleshoot.  I’m always curious to hear how others do with recipes and what problems and issues people encounter along the way.

Cookie Madness Top 10

Jacques Torres Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe – Crunchy edges, tender centers, lots of nooks & crannies and plenty of chocolate.These are the perfect chocolate chip cookies.Your friends will think you bought them at a bakery.Don’t make any substitutions.Really.

Julie Hasson’s Apricot Almond Bars – As a chocoholic, I have to be careful with Top 10’s because I’d easily pick 10 chocolate recipes.These bars are an exception.When I think “Top 10” these bars come to mind.

Crunchy Hearty Oatmeal Cookies – Oatmeal cookies are satisfying in many forms.But if you like crunchy, very flavorful, satisfying cookies, try this recipe.

Dorie Greenspan Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies – What can I say?Dorie Greenspan plus a chocolate peanut butter combo?Easy pick.

Masterpiece White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies – I was impressed the day I first tried this recipe, then received many emails from people who also loved the recipe.

Gourmet Magazine Double Chocolate Biscotti – When you are in the mood for biscotti, this recipe will satisfy. Along with having a deep chocolate flavor, it has a very crunchy and kind of hard (but not tooth breaking) texture. Perfect for dunking or eating alone.

Basic Criss-Cross Peanut Butter Cookies – There are flashier peanut butter cookies, but these will remind you of the ones you ate as a kid.Make sure to use part shortening to get the right texture.

King Arthur’s Best Fudge Brownies (made with Hershey’s Dark Cocoa) – When I first made these, I thought they were pretty.I liked Nancy Baggett’s Supreme Fudge brownies a little better, but these weren’t bad so I served them at a Teachers’ luncheon.For months after, people talked about the brownies.I think they liked the dramatic appearance from the dark cocoa and the shiny tops.At any rate, they received so much attention I had to include this recipe in the top 10.

Sweet, Salty, Frito Candy – I put this here because it is also one of my most requested recipes.It sounds weird, but that makes it all the more fun!So far, no one has made it and said they hate it. The pleasure it’s given me in both eating it and serving it, has made it worthy of Top 10 status.

Vegan Truffles with Cashew Cream — Easy and unique

Comments

1. Ingrid says

Hi Anna,

a quick question about the frito creation.
    We don’t have Frito’s over here.
    Could I use a different kind of cornchips? ( I assume frito’s are cornchips? )
    I found a make your own peanutbuttercups recipe so that’s covered.
    About the pretzels: salted or unsalted?

Ingrid

Hi Anj,

Glad you like the new look. My blog is suddenly so much easier to deal with. Hopefully I’ll be able to manage it better.

Ingrid, first off, I want to say that my grocery store just devoted a whole end cap to Netherlands food — we have licorice cats, salty licorice, the special annisette flavored powdered sugar, Stroopwafels, and a bunch of other Dutch products I’d never even heard of. I’d take a picture of it for you if I could. However, grocery stores don’t really like people taking pictures of their displays.

To answer your question, I don’t know what you’d sub for the Fritos. Fritos are corn chips, but they’re lighter and crispier than tortillas chips, so don’t try those. Now I think Bugles might work, but if you don’t have Fritos, I doubt you’d have Bugles. Maybe around the holidays I’ll mail you some Fritos. They’ll be pre-crushed!

3. Ingrid says

We do have bugles over here! So no need to mail them.
    Yes! I can try your creation now :)
    Dutch products in Texas? Strange things are happening over there!
    Did you try the licorice yet? Not very good for your bloodpressure so don’t eat to many cats :)

Bugles in the Netherlands. Salty Cats in Texas. It’s like a world junk food swap!

My blood pressure is already low, but I’ll eat the salty cats in moderation so I can keep it that way.

5. Lindsay says

Yeah…the Top Ten is back! It’s always the first place I go when I want to try something new. I can’t wait!

6. Laurel says

I love the new look, too! This is my favorite blog.

I made the Jacques Torres’ Secret Chocolate Chip Cookies yesterday. Very nice. I only had whole grain pastry flour and couldn’t find it anywhere close so I used that. I will continue my search for regular pastry flour (perhaps Whole Foods, otherwise there’s always KA mailorder), but I didn’t get any complaints.

Thanks.
    Laurel

I’m nervous about this Top 10. I keep thinking of other cookies that are really, really good. Plus, this is so subjective…..oh well. What’s a blog without opinions, right?

Laurel, a lot of people are having trouble finding the regular pastry flour. Luckily, whole wheat pastry flour works very well. I’d actually like to try the whole wheat version.

8. Kelli says

Well since the Sweet, Salty, Frito candy made the top ten I really feel I should update my original comment. On their initial taste my two younger daughters did not care for this. I have since made it so many times, however, that they now absolutely love it and are always coaxing friends to try it.

9. Michelle says

Hi Anna,

Thank you for sharing your top ten faves with us. I am excited to try them all, even the frito one! I just bought the ingredients for the Jacques Torres cookies but I will be making them with the whole wheat pastry flour — seems like a good sub.

Have you seen the new issue of Bon Appetit? There is a Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cake that looks amazingly good. It is a Julie Hasson recipe. I am going to try and make that this week as well, will let you know how it comes out. I can send you the recipe if you don’t get BA.

Thanks for sharing your hard-won baking knowledge with us!

Michelle

10. Sue says

Hi Anna!

I love the top 10 list. If you are nervous about committing to just these 10, could you have a heading for top ten lists, and then organize them by month, or whenever the spirit moves you? I would be sad to see this list disappear, but wouldn’t want you to be limited in any way.

The last recipe I made from your blog was such a hit that I’m trying to narrow down what to make next. I was going to make the CL Key Lime Bars that I found posted on another blog, but now I’m thinking that I need to try the Apricot Orange Shortbread Bars.

For the chocolate eating crowd, I’ve got to make the Frito Candy. I wish everyone could eat chocolate! I feel bad for the people who have to stay away from it.

Thanks for all the comments. I really appreciate them all. This response is to the ones which included questions.

Michelle, I have the new issue of BA. That cake looks really good, however, I have dog-eared the page with the squash cake recipe. I’ll probably try that one first since I am starting to like squash. I will look for your report on the chocolate chip cake.

Sue, I like your idea of tagging each Top 10. Changing a Top 10 seems wrong, but adding a slightly revised Top 10 and keeping the old one is a good idea.

12. D'Ann says

I am going to try the Frito candy tonight. I’m sure the salty sweetness will be a big hit…and we have Fritos in the house, because we made chilli last night. :-)

Also, for anyone reading the comments: the Can’t Stop Cookies are fabulous – even though they didn’t make the top 10. they are wonderful! And, they’re easy. So, search the archives for the recipe and check it out.

Anna, I’ve just discovered your blog thru a link on a friend’s page – i used to have a little company called princess yumyum, and did tons of experiments like yours. I am thrilled to be trolling your archives.

Anyway I made the frito candy this weekend and it was a BIG HIT. Completely brilliant.

Hello Citymouse,

Enjoy the archives! If you have any old Princess Yumyum recipes you are willing to part with, send them my way. Experiments are fun.

It just occurred to me that Halloween is the perfect season for Frito Candy. I need to make a batch myself.

LOVE the new look – and that we can comment without registering. And the Top Ten List. And the Tip Sheet. And the fact that YOU’RE doing all the bakign so I need not! : – )

16. marye says

The frito concoction is about to be attempted for real! These look great. And the epicurious molasses cookie is the basic one I do (except I add chipotle because..well..I am a chipotle junkie)

Hi Alanna! Thanks for the compliments. And thanks for cooking a bunch of vegetables so I need not! : – )

Mary, I look forward to your opinion. Of course now that I’ve set expectations high, no doubt people will make it and not like it so much. LOL!

18. Heather says

Love your site Anna! I’ve made the Sweet salty Frito candy twice now and everyone just devours it. It is simply the best treat ever! Thanks.

19. Emily says

I think the best cookie ever is M&M cookies, maybe you shou put a recipe for that in the top ten list.

20. Michell says

I know i’m a guy but i love baking cookies i used so many of these recipes, maybe you should do a top 100 list :)

Emily, I love M&M cookies too. Have you looked at the M&M’s website lately? They have some really interesting sounding recipes. Most of them call for M&M’s baking bits, though.

Michell, I know what you mean! It’s hard to choose from just 10. I should do a 10-20. or “Next Top 10″.