London Trip Report

by on March 19, 2007 · 13 comments

London was amazing, and we are still on that post-travel high.

londonhigh.jpg

It was nice going back for my third time, but especially great being there with my family. We just returned last night, so I am dealing with 3 suitcases full of dirty laundry and trying to sort through over 400 photos. My goal is to get them up on Flickr and add captions.

londoncutie.jpg

As for the food, it could not have been better. I’ll be talking about things here and there throughout the week (month, maybe year) but to list all the food experiences right now would be quite overwhelming. We spent a lot of money on that portion of the trip and to be honest, just barely scratched the surface.

londoneat.jpg

A few nights we had a babysitter, but other nights we took Fuzz with us so our choices aren’t quite as highbrow as say, Gordon Ramsay or Angela Hartnett at The Connaught. However, each place we picked turned out an excellent meal on the night we were there. Quick run-down of evening restaurant meals: Orso, The River Cafe, Momo, Gaucho Grill, Veeraswamy and Nobu. Aside from one afternoon meal at The Texas Embassy (we just had to check it out…had to), lunch was grab and go or grab and take back to the hotel….ie, sandwiches. I love sandwiches and London is sandwich heaven. My favorite sandwich/take-away place was called “Pret a Manger” and I am extremely jealous of those who live near a Pret.

Another new obsession, which I picked up from a little place called EAT is vanilla fudge.

londonfudge.jpg

After a busy day of shopping, I stopped into the EAT across the street from Harrod’s to rest. I bought a cup of camomille tea and a block of the vanilla fudge. The first bite of fudge took me back to when I was 7 and my family ate at a restaurant called Monterrey House, where they’d hide little blocks of wax paper wrapped candy underneath the tortilla chips. Years later, when I started craving that candy and Monterrey House was no more, I came to the conclusion that the candy was called leche quemada. I made a few batches and while the leche quemada was pretty good, it wasn’t quite the same as the Monterrey House candy. Turns out the candy was just “vanilla fudge”.

Now here’s the mystery. The ingredient list (not necessarily in order) listed sugar, condensed milk, golden syrup, and butter. However, I haven’t been able to find any vanilla fudge recipes using condensed milk. Between loading pictures, washing laundry and stocking our refrigerator, I’ll be looking for vanilla fudge recipes.

Published on March 19, 2007

Anna March 19, 2007 at 10:59 am

THANKS!! I think this one you found will be a good start. I can use golden syrup in place of the white syrup and will figure out how to incorporate the glucose syrup. Believe it or not, I actually have glucose syrup in my cupboard.

lattelady March 19, 2007 at 12:24 pm

Love the picture – looks like Fuzz is climbing up the “eye”!
Why does the Vanilla Fudge look like chocolate fudge??

Claire March 19, 2007 at 12:24 pm

Sounds like y’all had a great time! Cute pictures. Glad you’re back safely.

KelliRR March 19, 2007 at 2:36 pm

Welcome back! I love the picture with Fuzz and the flowers. So colorful. Glad you had a good time and I feel for you with the laundry!!

Janet March 19, 2007 at 3:55 pm

Welcome back!!! Fuzz is very photogenic and just adorable! You did a great job of posing her..loved the one in the flowers! Missed you and glad you all had a wonderful time!

Hatton March 19, 2007 at 4:45 pm

I’ve been lurking on your blog for awhile now. I recently moved from Austin to Washington DC and the taste of home is good. Today’s post, though, blew the top off of it. I, too, used to eat at Monterrey House and have been trying to find the candy ever since. If you get a working recipe, I’d love to have it. And, I’d settle for shipping info for the vanilla fudge.

Anna March 19, 2007 at 5:29 pm

Taking a break from laundry and Flickr and child-minding to answer comments.

Glad you all are enjoying these pictures. I have about 490 more — half of which are Big Ben and The Thames. I wish I’d taken more people shots (eg, our sweet Croation babysitter, Ana) then landscapes. I’ll post the Flickr link later.

LL, the fudge is a bit lighter in real life. The picture just makes it look darker for some reason. It’s kind of a brown sugar color…somewhere in between dark and light brown sugar.

Hatton, I am going to work on the recipe and will post it when I do. I thought I had some glucose syrup, but it’s all gone. This candy was dead-on with the flavor of Monterrey House candy. I am so glad you knew what I was talking about.

kelly March 19, 2007 at 6:48 pm

Anna, Is this fudge tasta like penuche. I tried to search too, but i couldnt find any with sweetened consensed milk, just evaporated. Anyway, I came across this…

carole March 19, 2007 at 7:23 pm

Welcome home, Anna. Glad you all had a wonderful time. I look forward to seeing the rest of your photos.

You are a super creative woman — cooking and photography. You should think about a job in food photography. The photos you post on you blog are fantastic. I am sure that any of the food magazines would be glad to have you as a freelancer. Also, your local paper(s).

Missed your posts this past week.

Jackie March 19, 2007 at 7:39 pm

Anna,

I am so jealous that you got to go to my home country. I haven’t been to London for over twenty years and it sounds like it’s changed a lot in terms of food since I was there. Time for a return trip. My parents are in the South West and my sister is in Nottingham so that’s where we spend our time when we’re over there. I try to go every few years and was hoping to go this year but it looks like we’re moving to NC instead.

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip and welcome back.

wellsfamilyof4 March 19, 2007 at 10:26 pm

Welcome home! Glad to hear you had a wonderful time and from the pics it looks like you had magnificent weather! Missed your posts and was thinking about you wishing you great weather and happy times.

Michelle :)

Nancy E. March 20, 2007 at 12:18 am

There’s a recipe for Vanilla Fudge Ice Cream here, and the recipe for the Vanilla Fudge sounds like it might be close to what you are looking for.

Elizabeth G September 3, 2008 at 4:50 pm

I have been searching for a fudge recipe using condensed milk for over twenty years now – As a teenager i used a recipe from a book i bought for my mother from marks and spencer (may have been part of the st michaels range- i think it was called sweets pickles and preserves – the recipe used a can of condensed milk, dark brown sugar (would explain the absence of syrup) and butter. There may have been one other ingredient but i do not think so. I will continue to search but i have not as yet been able to locate the book or a recipe(as my mother gave it away when she moved to Canada).I notice this site has not been visited for a long time i hope this is of some use to you. : )