Cooking Light Carrot Cake

by on March 25, 2007 · 8 comments

The carrot cake, which I’m keeping for myself and will probably freeze, is from Cooking Light magazine. I usually prefer very rich carrot cakes made with as much vegetable oil as possible, so I was skeptical about this one. The good news is it was very moist, had a great texture from the pineapple, coconut and walnuts (I used them instead of pecans) and a good flavor.

Here’s a link to the recipe in Cooking Light. One note. I halved the recipe and baked it in an 8 inch round cake pan. It took 30 minutes to bake.

cookinglightcarrotcake.jpg

Published on March 25, 2007

Bev March 25, 2007 at 2:01 pm

I adore carrot cake!!! Actually, I’m not sure which I like better….the cake or the cream cheese icing. :) Sorry to hear you’re not feeling well. Sending “get-well soon” wishes your way…..

KristaMB March 25, 2007 at 11:41 pm

I just about fell out of my chair when I read that you used walnuts instead of pecans. :) You always use pecans! Sorry to hear that you’re sick, but hey- at least the crack let you bake up a storm!

Anna March 26, 2007 at 7:13 am

Bev, I didn’t have the right kind of cream cheese on hand and had to use tub style. My icing is a combination of tub style, butter, sugar, vanilla and lemon. I can’t remember the proportions.

Krista, I wondered for half a second if anyone would notice I subbed walnuts for pecans. What happened was I just had a little bag here I wanted to get rid of…but yes, it was out of character. I hope the pecan growers of America aren’t upset with me.

Cassandra Tan March 26, 2007 at 12:30 pm

That’s why they put the sudafed behind the counter…..they make it into crystal meth. But dear heavens, how do you get through springtime without sudafed and/or claritin?

Claire March 26, 2007 at 8:07 pm

Looks great! I really like carrot cake, too.

Nicole March 27, 2007 at 8:57 am

What? no reference to your recipe in Cooking Light? There I am flipping my pages on the bus ride home and I see your face beaming back at me. Way to go on being a finalist! Hope you win! Going to try your cake for Easter. Sounds Tas-TY! Mmmm! Good luck.

Nicole

Anna March 27, 2007 at 11:12 am

Thanks, Nicole! That was from last year’s CL cook-off and I didn’t win. The winner was a delicious blueberry-lemon cupcake created by Gloria Bradley. Cooking Light is still accepting entries for their next cook-off, so if you have a lightened up favorite, you should enter.

Nicole March 27, 2007 at 3:13 pm

Oh, my bad! I guess I should actually read the articles BEFORE looking at the recipes. Sorry you didn’t win, but hey you won “THE Bakeoff” instead which is a much NICER pay off!