Cooking Light Carrot Cake

The carrot cake, which I’m keeping for myself and will probably freeze, is from Cooking Light magazine. I usually prefer very rich carrot cakes made with as much vegetable oil as possible, so I was skeptical about this one. The good news is it was very moist, had a great texture from the pineapple, coconut and walnuts (I used them instead of pecans) and a good flavor.

Here’s a link to the recipe in Cooking Light. One note. I halved the recipe and baked it in an 8 inch round cake pan. It took 30 minutes to bake.

cookinglightcarrotcake.jpg

Comments

1. Bev says

I adore carrot cake!!! Actually, I’m not sure which I like better….the cake or the cream cheese icing. :) Sorry to hear you’re not feeling well. Sending “get-well soon” wishes your way…..

2. KristaMB says

I just about fell out of my chair when I read that you used walnuts instead of pecans. :) You always use pecans! Sorry to hear that you’re sick, but hey- at least the crack let you bake up a storm!

Bev, I didn’t have the right kind of cream cheese on hand and had to use tub style. My icing is a combination of tub style, butter, sugar, vanilla and lemon. I can’t remember the proportions.

Krista, I wondered for half a second if anyone would notice I subbed walnuts for pecans. What happened was I just had a little bag here I wanted to get rid of…but yes, it was out of character. I hope the pecan growers of America aren’t upset with me.

That’s why they put the sudafed behind the counter…..they make it into crystal meth. But dear heavens, how do you get through springtime without sudafed and/or claritin?

5. Nicole says

What? no reference to your recipe in Cooking Light? There I am flipping my pages on the bus ride home and I see your face beaming back at me. Way to go on being a finalist! Hope you win! Going to try your cake for Easter. Sounds Tas-TY! Mmmm! Good luck.

Nicole

Thanks, Nicole! That was from last year’s CL cook-off and I didn’t win. The winner was a delicious blueberry-lemon cupcake created by Gloria Bradley. Cooking Light is still accepting entries for their next cook-off, so if you have a lightened up favorite, you should enter.

7. Nicole says

Oh, my bad! I guess I should actually read the articles BEFORE looking at the recipes. Sorry you didn’t win, but hey you won “THE Bakeoff” instead which is a much NICER pay off!