Bath Bombs

by on April 5, 2007 · 11 comments

I took a break from cookies today and made something non-edible called “bath bombs”. These are not the ones I made.

notmybathbombs.jpg

….this is.

mybathbomb.jpg

It’s a “key lime” bath bomb. I would have like to make some other flavors, but I couldn’t find any citric acid, which is a key ingredient in bath bombs. What I did have, was some “True Lime” which worked well but limited me to lime or slightly tropical bath bomb flavors. I also had an actual fresh lime, and was able to incorporate the lime zest into the bath bomb.

Here is a picture of the ingredients sitting next to the bath bomb. I only have one….

mybathbombingredients.jpg

…there was another one, but it was a test bath bomb and I didn’t bother to dry it out. This one will be lucky if it makes it for the next 48 hours. Every time I pass it, I want to throw it in the water. It’s small, so hopefully it will dry out soon and look more professional.

If you would like to make a bath bomb too, here’s the formula I used. This makes enough for you to play with and decide if bath bombs are really worth the trouble of making. (1 part citric acid, 1 part cornstarch, 2 parts baking soda, oil to hold it together) or see below

2 tablespoon of True Lime (or citric acid, if you can find it)
2 tablespoon cornstarch
4 tablespoons baking soda
some lime peel or other nature type thing
3 tablespoons or so (use 1 at a time) of some olive oil, vitamin E oil, coconut oil or other oil you have around the house

Published on April 5, 2007

carole April 5, 2007 at 5:22 pm

This may seem like a stupid question but what do you do with them?

kelly April 5, 2007 at 6:45 pm

How fun! Did you find this online? I have never heard of true lime, what is this?

Anna April 5, 2007 at 8:09 pm

Carole, you drop them in the tub and they make the water all fizzy. Most bath balls are infused with herbs, essential oils, Mickey Mouse shaped confetti, flowers or other fun things like that. This is a really basic bath ball.

Kelly, I love taking baths almost as much as eating cookies. I discovered bath bombs at a store called “Basin” in Orlando. They cost about 1 to 2 dollars a bath bomb depending on what size, which is why I started searching for ways to make my own. I’ll still probably keep buying them at Basin. Lush cosmetics also sells excellent bath bombs. True lime and True Lemon can usually be found in the spice aisle.

Melissa September 28, 2007 at 10:23 pm

Just a note! I am a Canadian currently living in Taiwan. Anyway, I found LUSH at Taipei 101 and bought some bath bombs, as I love taking a bath.
Here the bath bombs are about $5-6 US/bath bomb…so that is why I decided to make my own.

Shelley October 13, 2007 at 9:20 am

When you showed the picture of the store bought ones….and said “these are not them” then I scroll down and you say “this is” I laughed and laughed. That was soooo cute!! HAHA

LB November 13, 2007 at 5:58 pm

Thanks for a good laugh, Anna. I needed that….

Sandra :) December 21, 2007 at 9:26 pm

I bought my first bath bombs tonight at Lush (ouch, $6 Cdn. each, and they weren’t even the most expensive ones!) — I decided to look online for directions to make them, and came across your post. I have to tell you that your bomb looks nicer than the store bought ones – they’re perfect and somewhat boring – yours has personality and looks like it has a good time in life – I’d pick yours over the store bought ones ANY day – it has ‘tude!

Anna December 21, 2007 at 9:40 pm

Sniff. Sandra, that is the nicest thing anyone has ever said about my bath bomb. ;)

And yes, Lush bombs (and just about all the other good ones) are expensive. If you like bath bombs as much as I do, the best thing to do is just order the materials from Brambleberry and just make them.

I still splurge on the Lush bombs sometimes. They keep coming out with great new varieties.

Jenny May 7, 2009 at 10:53 pm

I too got hooked on Basin Bath Bombs, found Basin at Downtown Disney in Calif. I also found great Bath Bombs online at bathandbasin.com, they seem to have more of a variety.I loved the picture of your homemade bath bomb, I couldn’t stop laughing because I had a similar experience trying to make one, only mine wouldn’t stop growing. I’ll stay with buying Bath Bombs.

Anna May 7, 2009 at 11:08 pm

Jenny, thanks for the tip and the bath bomb making empathy. I will check out Bath and Basin.

Marty September 25, 2009 at 8:23 am

The True Lime is crystalized lime. Tases much better than the liquid products because it doesn’t need the preservatives. Taste much better in Cola/Soda/Pop than the liquid stuff and great for cooking. Sometimes is found with the no cal sweetners if your store carries them.