Chewy Granola Brownies

by on April 18, 2007 · 6 comments

I love granola. Sometime it’s homemade, but sometimes it’s store-bought — usually something new or with a unique health claim. Such is the case this week. I’ve been eating Nature’s Path Organic Hemp Plus Granola. What lured me in was that it contains 600mg OMEGA-3’s per serving, and a serving is defined as 30 grams/140 calories. So far, that’s the most Omega-3’s per calorie I’ve seen in granola. I should also mention it tastes great.

hempbox.jpg

There is one drawback, and that is that all the big clusters of granola are near the top and the bottom half of the box is comprised of tiny granola bits which are hard to eat dry and by hand. Rather than eat dry granola with a spoon (feels weird) or throw the stuff out (wasteful), I decided to bake the rest into brownies. This is an old recipe from Sunset. You may use any type of granola you wish, but I recommend using Hemp granola because you can tell all your friends you made a nice batch of hemp brownies.

hempaloneforblog.jpg

Here’s the full recipe which yields a 13×9 inch pan of brownies. This one is quite easy to cut in half. If you cut the recipe in half, use an 8 inch square pan.

Chewy Granola Brownies

8 tablespoons butter, softened
1 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup each all purpose flour, lightly spooned and swept
3/4 cup whole wheat flour, ditto
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups granola
1/2 cup chopped, toasted walnuts (for more Omega 3)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line or spray a 13×9 inch pan with baking spray.

Melt butter in a medium-size pan over medium heat. Remove from heat and mix in sugar. Stir in eggs and vanilla; set aside.

In a mixing bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, and salt. Add sugar mixture and stir until well combined. Stir in granola, then nuts. Spread batter in pan.
Bake 23-25 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack, then cut into 24 bars.

granola brownies.jpg

Published on April 18, 2007

Todd April 18, 2007 at 11:02 am

Aha! The Brazil Nut Effect strikes again!

Jen April 18, 2007 at 11:49 am

Thanks for the recipe. Once again, I have a big box of granola for a cheesecake recipe I made. I don’t really like granola by itself so I think I’ll make these brownies for work.

Anna April 18, 2007 at 1:57 pm

Todd, thanks for the info. Next time, maybe I’ll use Brazil nuts and keep the theme going.

Jen, you’ll have to tell me how they go over. I ate half of one, froze the rest and am sending them off with Todd tomorrow.

Jackie April 18, 2007 at 8:54 pm

Thought you might like this recipe. They are in keeping with your healthier recipes as there’s no added fat.

Sin-Free Chocolate Chews

Ultra-chewy, rich chocolate cookies with no added fat? And no gluten? Impossible! But it’s true: these flourless chocolate cookies get their texture from egg whites and their flavor from cocoa powder (which represents the only fat in the recipe). Plus they’re easy to make: Just stir together a few simple ingredients, chill the batter for a few hours, scoop onto a pan, and bake. You won’t believe the delicious result.

This cookie is adapted from one of our King Arthur Bakery customers’ favorites. Can’t visit us in Vermont? The bakery will ship you some of their other fabulous cookies; shop for them at bakerscatalogue.com. Keyword: bakery.

2 1/4 cups (9 ounces) confectioners’ sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1 cup (3 ounces) cocoa powder, Dutch-process or natural
3 large egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract*

*For gluten-free cookies, be sure to use gluten-free vanilla.

Whisk together the sugar, salt, espresso powder, and cocoa. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together the egg whites and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the egg whites, and mix at low speed of an electric mixer for 2 minutes. The batter will seem dry at first, but will become shiny and smooth as it mixes. Cover the bowl, and refrigerate the batter for 3 hours, or up to overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Thoroughly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.

Drop the dough in ping pong-sized balls onto the prepared baking sheets; a tablespoon cookie scoop works well here. Bake the cookies for 12 minutes, reversing the pans (top to bottom, bottom to top) midway through. Remove them from the oven, and cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool completely.
Yield: fourteen big (3 ½”) cookies.

Variation: You’ll lose the low-fat appellation, but to take these cookies over the top, add 1 cup (6 ounces) chocolate chips to the batter before scooping. Bake as directed. Yield: sixteen 3″ cookies

©2006 The King Arthur Flour Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Claire April 18, 2007 at 9:10 pm

These look good. I may have to check out this hemp stuff. Haven’t had granola in ages.

Anna April 20, 2007 at 8:07 am

Jackie, thanks for that recipe. They sound similar to Savannah Chews. I’m going to save this recipe and make it next week.