Off to Chicago!

by on April 11, 2007 · 13 comments

I didn’t do any baking today. Instead, I packed. Tomorrow is a big day. I’m heading to Chicago to compete in what’s sure to be a fabulous cooking contest called “IGA Hometown Holidays”. I’ll be cooking alongside some illustrious competitors, three of whom I seem to see more often than certain members!
Speaking of which, this contest is going to be extra special because I’m bringing along my dad, who will be allowed to stay in the kitchen with me while I cook. I’m also really looking forward to showing him around Chicago, because the closest he’s ever been was Des Plaines. I’m quite sure that Lakeshore Drive and the Chicago skyline will blow him away. I lived in Chicago for 3 years and never got tired of that skyline………

chicagoskyline.jpg

Anyhow, this contest has been going on for quite a while and people who’ve been say it’s a blast. Along with staying at a nice hotel and having a few special dinners (one of which will be at Greek Islands, a real treat since I haven’t found anything like it in Austin), we’re doing our cooking in the kitchen of the culinary division of the Chicago Art Institute. I’m excited. I’ve never cooked in an actual culinary institute kitchen with real live pastry students no less. I can’t wait to share my recipe. Hopefully, I’ll get permission to post it here after the competition.

Adios for now.

Published on April 11, 2007

Amy April 11, 2007 at 5:23 pm

How exciting! Have a great trip!

KelliRR April 11, 2007 at 6:25 pm

How awesome that you get to bring your dad! Have a great time and good luck!!

Debbi April 11, 2007 at 6:28 pm

Congratulations and I hope you do well. Extreme Peanut Butter Molten Lava Cakes sounds like something my kids would love! They love anything that has to do with Lava or volcanos.

Looks like you might run into a bit of snow. It’s been snowing in the midwest here all day and will be into the weekend. Quite the difference from where you are! :-)

Amy April 11, 2007 at 6:47 pm

GOOD LUCK! That sounds like such a fun trip and a great professional experience for you! Can’t wait to hear about it!!!

Amy D.

kelly April 11, 2007 at 6:49 pm

Wow good luck! I am visiting chicago in may and I am so excited. The recipe sounds great!

Stephanie M. April 11, 2007 at 9:06 pm

Have a safe and fun trip! Enjoy the time with your dad.

Claire April 11, 2007 at 9:39 pm

Wow! Sounds like fun. I LOVE Chicago but have only been twice. Be sure to take pictures if you can. I hope they’ll let you post the recipe, because I need examples of good contest recipes, as one of my “kitchen resolutions” is to enter at least one recipe contest!

Anna April 11, 2007 at 10:09 pm

Thanks Everyone!

I am so excited. Hopefully, I’ll be able to sleep. Can’t wait to post the recipe because it is a good one. Then again, there are 10 good ones so I’m just happy to be going.

Dani April 12, 2007 at 12:26 pm

OMG, is that competition at my school? The Illinois Institute of Art of Chicago at 180 N. Wabash? If so, please email me and I will stop by! I would loooove to finally meet you in person!

Lauren April 12, 2007 at 1:56 pm

I grew up in a suburb of Chicago (Glenview). My mom still lives there (I’m in Boston these days) and I still love that city!

Janet April 13, 2007 at 5:20 am

Good luck! Hope you are having a good time!

TracysTribe3 April 13, 2007 at 8:52 am

Good luck! I’m rooting for you. I was excited about your recipe because I see that I’m thinking along the same lines with my own recipes and that’s got to be a good thing!

Anna April 15, 2007 at 8:32 pm

Belated thanks for all the comments.

Dani, it was at your school! I wish I’d seen your comment sooner or I would have made it a point to find you.