A Cartoon

by on May 2, 2007 · 6 comments

Here’s a cartoon sent to me by my friend Shirley, who doesn’t usually forward me cartoons and jokes. This one is from Denise Dorrance, an American living in London. You can see more cartoons at “denicedorrance.com”. I’m having problems with my links at the moment, so just cut and paste http://www.denisedorrance.com into your browser.

cartoon.jpg

Published on May 2, 2007

TracysTribe3 May 2, 2007 at 8:43 am

Are you doing a publicity thing in Scottsdale? Just wondering because I live outside of Phoenix and would come see you if so. Otherwise, have a nice trip – we’re having great weather!

Joe May 2, 2007 at 1:00 pm

Oh sure… back to Scottsdale again and this time we won’t be there for you to ignore us again! =*)

Just teasing, hope you have a great time! Shouldn’t be too hot, yet!

KelliRR May 2, 2007 at 1:03 pm

That cartoon actually made me laugh out loud. Because, without ever realizing it, that is pretty much how I sum up recipes in my head! Have fun in Scottsdale. You sure are the mighty traveller these days.

Anna May 2, 2007 at 8:19 pm

Tracy, I emailed you. At least I think I did!

Joe, don’t remind me. I still feel bad about not calling on you guys the last time I was, uh, 10 feet from your house.

Kelli, I put the cartoon up then took it down because I wasn’t sure Denise would like me slapping her cartoon on my blog. She was very sweet and said I could post it. I’m really glad, because I couldn’t find any cooking cartoons that were as funny and was worried I’d have to draw one myself.

Jami May 2, 2007 at 10:14 pm

I have a question for you… I LOVE lava cakes but struggle to find any good recipes.. I was wondering if you had any recipes that you have tried out that were yummy and not mega complicated to make?? Thanks Anna!!! – Jami

Anna May 2, 2007 at 11:23 pm

Jami, I don’t know if you saw it earlier, but I posted a peanut butter lava cake recipe. As for chocolate lava cake, I haven’t made one in a while and wouldn’t be able to steer you toward a personal favorite. However, a lot of people seem to like this one from Cooking Light. It has pistachios, so it’s kind of different. I pasted the recipe below. Under the recipe, there’s a link to CL’s Recipe Finder, where you can go and read the actual reviews.

Chocolate Lava Cakes with Pistachio Cream

“These flourless chocolate cakes are as rich as a restaurant dessert, but they’re made with a fraction of the fat and no dairy butter. When these cakes bake, the gooey filling causes the center to sink in.”

1 cup shelled dry-roasted pistachios
1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 large eggs
5 large egg whites
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cooking spray
1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
Dash of salt
Powdered sugar (optional)

Place pistachios in a food processor; process until a crumbly paste forms (about 3 1/2 minutes), scraping sides of bowl once.

Place 1/4 cup pistachio butter, 1 1/4 cups sugar, cocoa, eggs, and egg whites in top of a double boiler; stir well with a whisk. Add chocolate; cook over simmering water until chocolate melts and sugar dissolves (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat; add baking powder and vanilla. Stir with a whisk until smooth. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Chill 2 hours.

Place remaining 1/4 cup pistachio butter and 1/2 cup sugar in food processor; pulse 4 times or until combined. Add milk and salt; process until smooth. Strain mixture through a sieve into a small saucepan; discard solids. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 4 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat; pour into a bowl. Cover and chill.

Preheat oven to 450°.

Bake cakes at 450° for 9 minutes or until almost set (centers will not be firm). Let cool in pan 5 minutes. Invert each cake onto a dessert plate; drizzle with sauce. Garnish with powdered sugar, if desired.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 cake and 2 teaspoons sauce)