Quick Update — Nothing of Relevance, Really

by on May 23, 2007 · 10 comments

Yesterday I posted a recipe for spelt cookies then fussed over whether or not I should yet another cookie for the work crew doing my floors. I opted not to, and left the house to do mundane errands. Later on in the day, Fuzz and I noticed the workers drinking Mountain Dew and eating sandwich cookies. It was evident that they did indeed like sugar.

strawberry cookies and mountain dew.jpg

We decided to bake them a quick batch of Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies, a recipe which a lot of us probably know by heart. I hadn’t made the back-of-the bag recipe in years, and this batch came out very flat. I’m not sure why, but I had sympathy for all of my friends who’ve complained to me that all their scratch cookies come out flat. The funny thing is, I don’t remember these being so flat in the past. My theory is that growing up, I #1. used margarine instead of butter (margarine spreads less) and #2. scooped up the flour rather than gently spooning and sweeping, which is what I do now. Scooping packs more into the cup, but some bakers do it on a regular basis.

Anyway, I just thought I’d drop in and mention that. I am working on a coconut cake, but things aren’t looking very good.

Published on May 23, 2007

Claire May 23, 2007 at 12:45 pm

Oooohhh…coconut cake! I ALWAYS have that happen with the toll house recipe, so I don’t use it. For people who like using butter but don’t like flat cookies, I have a fun recipe coming up on Saturday!

Jen May 23, 2007 at 12:54 pm

I still have a bunch of margarine left over when my mother came to visit – it was on sale so she bought a ton of it for some reason. Believer it or not, I’ve never made the Toll House recipe so perhaps I can do a side-by-side experiment.

Jen May 23, 2007 at 12:54 pm

I still have a bunch of margarine left over from when my mother came to visit – it was on sale so she bought a ton of it for some reason. Believer it or not, I’ve never made the Toll House recipe so perhaps I can do a side-by-side experiment.

Anna May 23, 2007 at 1:04 pm

Claire, I’ll report back on the coconut cake. It will be a while.

Jen, I’d be interested in seeing the side by side and will post pictures for you. Also, try scooping the flour.

amela May 23, 2007 at 2:38 pm

That is funny you had that problem, only because just yesterday I read an article at Very Best Baking that talked about how to avoid flat Nestle Toll House cookies.

sandra May 23, 2007 at 4:49 pm

I always use the butter flavor Crisco when I make the Toll House cookies and the cookies come out fine.

Miss D May 23, 2007 at 7:41 pm

Where can I get some of those pink-filled cookies???? (I live in PA and have never seen those)

Anna May 23, 2007 at 8:02 pm

Amela, I just read the article. They say if you leave out the nuts, you should add two tablespoons flour. I didn’t do that, but I guess it would have helped. I really think I just didn’t use enough flour.

Sandra, the butter flavored Crisco does make thicker cookies — especially if you follow their special recipe.

Miss D, I think those cookies are from a Mexican grocery store here in town called Fiesta. I’m thinking the brand is either Bimbo or Gamesa, which are two bakeries which sell Mexican cookies. I’ll have to check on that because they do look good.

Carolyn T May 24, 2007 at 7:51 pm

For years and YEARS I’ve added another 2 T. of all-purpose flour to my chocolate chip cookies. But then, I use (generally) Plugra butter, which is higher in butterfat than American butter, and that may contribute to the flatening issue. So, my advice is to add about 2T. then bake one tray and see if you’re happy with them. You can always add more flour, but once you’ve got too much they kind of become rocks. Not so tasty!

Anna May 24, 2007 at 8:27 pm

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for confirming that I should add extra flour. I also plan on baking the cookies with Plugra next time. I keep meaning to buy some, but just haven’t gotten around to it.