Red Velvet Dump Cake

by on May 14, 2007 · 11 comments

My morning is not going well.

I tried to make a red velvet bundt cake with a cheesecake tunnel. The cake seemed okay when I took it out of the oven, but didn’t budge when I tried to flip it out of the pan. I realized I’d forgotten to spray the pan with cooking spray, so I loosened the edges with a knife and flipped the pan again. Half the cake came out and the half with the tunnel, which looked like steamy scrambled egg whites, stuck to the pan. It didn’t taste very good anyway, so I threw it in the trash. I carried the trash bag to the garage and as I lifted it into our big dumpster, the bag came open and red velvet cake spilled all over me and Fuzz’s bike.

It’s days like this when I start considering new hobbies.

Published on May 14, 2007

carole May 14, 2007 at 10:57 am

I have been having the same type of day. In fact, it is two days.

I drop everything I touch. Lots of extra time needed for baking some cookies.

TG May 14, 2007 at 11:04 am

oh my god this is so hilarious. you made me burst right out laughing. not that i’m enjoying your misfortune. no way.

annie May 14, 2007 at 12:30 pm

i’m so glad that i’m not the only one that things like this happen to!!! my most embarassing was when i made confetti box cake in a bundt pan and it split in two in similar fashion … thank goodness for trifle!

Amy May 14, 2007 at 1:05 pm

I hope you keep trying it though because it sounds like a great idea. I love red velvet cake.

Anna May 14, 2007 at 1:28 pm

I’m never baking again.

carole May 14, 2007 at 1:30 pm

Of course you will bake again.

When you fall off a bike, which we all have, you get back on and try again.

Anna May 14, 2007 at 1:39 pm

The only bike around here has red velvet cake on it.

Debbi May 14, 2007 at 2:18 pm

My kids would love it if I dumped cake on their bikes.

I’m looking at your oatmeal cookie recipes debating which to make this afternoon. I’m thinking about using wheat flour and 1/2 splenda in one of your recipes. Craisins too, I don’t have raisins. I just hope it works and will hopefully resemble something edible.

Alysha May 15, 2007 at 9:46 am

Oh my.

I had a run of problems with bundt cakes and haven’t made one since, so I can sympathize.

Thanks for the chuckle at your expense. ;)

Claire May 15, 2007 at 1:55 pm

I understand…I get totally frustrated when things don’t turn out how I want them to, even if they are edible I’m disappointed. I think we’re harder on ourselves than other people are, though. Don’t worry, you’ll come through with something fantastic, I’m sure!

BEVERLY October 6, 2008 at 1:21 pm

DOES ANYONE HAVE A RECIPE FOR RED VELVET DUMP CAKE OR RED VELVET UPSIDE DOWM CAKE?