Hello Kitty and Chococat Cakes

by on June 27, 2007 · 6 comments

A few months ago, Fuzz told me she wanted to have a Night at the Museum themed birthday. For a second, it seemed like a great idea. Then I came to my senses and realized how difficult it would be to get Night at the Museum napkins, plates, and favors. Doing a knock-off theme incorporating museum items would be simple, but Fuzz wanted hers to be more in line with the movie. She even came up with a game called “Pin the Flashlight on Larry” which I thought was quite smart, though I dreaded having to draw the giant Larry. I stopped thinking about it for a while and hoped she’d change her mind.

Last night, while going through the Oriental Trading company catalog, she told me to forget about Night at the Museum. Instead, she wanted her theme to be Purrr-Fect Kitty Party which was straight out of the catalog. As clever as Night at the Museum sounded, I am relieved. I think a cat cake will be much more fun than a Larry cake.

The point I’m getting to, is that I’m going to be practicing some fun cakes over the next few weeks.

Here are some previous cat cakes – both San Rio characters, which translate easily to cake.

I made this Hello Kitty cake for Fuzz’s second birthday party, but dropped it face down on the floor before the guests arrived. Sad story. Told it too many times. Pattern is here.

Hello Kitty Cake

I used a similar pattern for Chococat, but made the ears different and used a thin, shiny, pourable frosting. Chococat stayed intact. I really liked the Chococat cake.

chococat cake.jpg

So I guess this next cake is going to look like the Purrr-Fect kitty. I think it should be strawberry, but kids never seem to eat strawberry cake. I’ll keep thinking.

Published on June 27, 2007

Gigi June 27, 2007 at 9:46 am

Hello Kitty and Chococat cakes? Are you TRYING to make me cry?! I actually had to make my own birthday cake this year (*sniff*).

When I was little, my mom always made me a strawberry birthday cake with white frosting (at my request). It was from a box but she loaded it insided and out with real strawberries and I loved it. I’m sure whatever you make will be a smashing success!

Anna June 27, 2007 at 10:48 am

I haven’t had a birthday cake in years. Usually I just order some special birthday dessert at a nice restaurant. This year we’ll probably be in NYC so it should be an extra special dessert.

That strawberry cake is starting to sound good now. I wonder if she used the recipe with the cake mix and strawberry gelatin.

STRAWBERRY CAKE

1 package white cake mix
1 package strawberry gelatin powder, 3 oz
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup mashed strawberries, fresh or frozen

Strawberry Icing:
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 (16 oz) box confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup mashed strawberries

Combine cake mix and gelatin powder in a large bowl. Beat in oil, eggs, water, and strawberries. Pour into 2 9-inch round greased and floured cake pans. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool and frost with strawberry icing.

Icing: Mix butter and confectioners’ sugar together until smooth. Add strawberries. Spread between cake layers, then frost top and sides.

Gigi June 27, 2007 at 12:10 pm

My mom’s “doctored up” strawberry cake definitely didn’t include gelatin. I think some of her secrets included switching out some of the oil with milk and stirring some mashed strawberries into the batter. Not that far off from the recipe you found, actually.

I bet a strawberry cake with chocolate frosting would be good too.

scrapperbo June 27, 2007 at 5:57 pm

Love those cakes!! They are so cute. Hope Fuzz has a Happy Birthday!!

Jill July 10, 2007 at 10:42 pm

This year was the first year my daughter didn’t have a strawberry cake (she is 9). She has asked for one every year, but this year it was store bought. I have gotten over the horror of that. Kids have always loved it.

Kristen and Tony May 7, 2008 at 12:36 pm

YUM! CAKE LOOKS GOOD. I WOULD EAT IT.

LOVE-