S’mores Bars

S’mores taste best when cooked and assembled among friends and open flames, but today I wanted them in bar cookie form.  Rather than search my cookbooks for a recipe, I searched the Internet and came upon this one from Hershey’s. I could tell by looking at Hershey’s picture that it would fit the bill, so I made it exactly as instructed but lined the pan with non-stick foil so I could lift the bars out and cut them neatly.

Here’s a picture of the base dough. Pretty sturdy looking, eh? Just what I was looking for.

smoresbase.jpg

And here’s a cross section after the cookies were baked. This is right out of the oven, so I suspect they’ll be less gooey later and will post another photo when they set.

smores out of the oven.jpg

All in all, this a very good bar cookie. Just watch out because if you go with the milk chocolate (in true S’mores fashion), the bars will be very sweet…sweet as in “Dang Y’all this is sweet!” Then again, we all have different tolerances for sugar. In fact, I think it varies among individuals in accordance with the moon and tides, but that’s neither here nor there…I liked these with the milk chocolate, but next time I’m going to try them with dark chocolate.

The recipe is on Hershey’s site. If they change the link or if it goes away, let me know.

Comments

1. meredith says

Anna – this is the recipe that I found last year after [our] ardous search, too! Let me know what you think — I preferred w/ dark chocolate, but that’s my taste. They go GREAT w/ coffee, but fair warning — you’ll be flying off the walls w/ all of the sugar and caffeine.
    P.S.: I want to try the s’mores pie on the Hershey’s site for Father’s Day!

Meredith, I remember searching and finding something, but all I remember was it being gooey. Guess that’s why I filed it under “Gooey”. This one is definitely better. I’ve created a S’mores category so that we can refer back to it.

3. Carrie says

One flavor element that is missing from the bar is the black burnt part of the marshmallow you get from the fire. Maybe that cuts the sweetness a little in the traditional s’more? Kind of like the difference between baked chicken and grilled chicken.

4. Anna says

Carrie, I didn’t even think about that. Great point! All the more reason to use dark chocolate since dark chocolate is kind of smoky. I guess using dark chocolate would be easier than burning the marshmallow cream ;).

Jami, I used Kraft marshmallow cream — the kind that comes in a jar and costs a little over a dollar. There’s another brand called Marshmallow Fluff which I believe is the same. I don’t think my grocery store carries the “fluff” type, but one day I’m going to hunt it down and try it….Central Market might have it. Sorry, I’m rambling.

BTW. I have a recipe for marshmallow fluff/cream. It doesn’t sound too hard, either. Maybe I’ll make it tomorrow.

Carrie’s comment just gave me an idea. I think Kraft or the Marshmallow Fluff people should do a line of marshmallow creme/marshmallow fluff that has char flavor swirled through it. Or wait, that might be kind of icky…but maybe some sort of roasty aroma? It seems like that wouldn’t be too hard to do, right? “New! Roasted Marshmallow Creme!” I’d buy it.

Man oh man those look good. I love the thought of infusing the ‘char’ taste into the marshmallow cream – what an excellent idea! That’s my favorite part of a roasted marshmallow!

Was it difficult to spread the marshmallow cream over the chocolate? Did you have to warm the cream slightly to spread it, or is the consistency OK right out of the jar?

I worry about the weirdest stuff…

Lindsay, I’d have to try them side by side. However, I really like these because they aren’t as crumbly. These were sweeter, but there’s an easy fix to that — the dark chocolate.

Kim, good question. If you press the candy bars into the dough, you kind of anchor the chocolate the creme goes on pretty easily. If you used chocolate chips or crumbled up chocolate, it might be more challenging. So I’d say the best way to do it would be to use chocolate in bar form (like the recipe says) and don’t chop it up or anything.

10. Janet says

These look wonderful! I went for rhubarb coffeecake last night since I didn’t have marshmallow creme…will try these soon…thanks.

11. Chelsea says

I just took this out of the oven, and I must say it looks delicious! I substituted in chocolate chips and marshmallows, only because I didn’t have fluff or chocolate bars. It still turned out great, I plan to give it to my father for Father’s Day!

Hi Chelsea,

Thanks for letting us know that regular marshmallows work. I was worried they might dry out, but I guess the top layer of dough keeps them insulated.

I suppose I need to make my dad something too….

13. PhillyGirl says

Made two batches last night. First batch was made with Fluff and Hershey’s milk choc bars. Had to use Pam on the spatula to get the Fluff to spread. Second batch was Nestle’s Chocolatier dark chocolate bits and big marshmallows. Had to put the second batch in the oven first to soften the marshmallows before putting on the top crust. I lined the pans with Pam and parchment paper and used water on my fingers to help spread the bottom and top crusts. Next time I’ll use about 40% crust on the bottom and 60% on top. My house smelled terrific during baking. I was able to cool then cut them about 30-40 mins out of the oven. As predicted, the Hershey Bar/Fluff batch was sweeter than the dark choc/marshmallow batch. I actually prefered the first one only because my sweetness tolerance is very high. I brought the dark choc batch into work and my co-workers loved them. The Hershey bar batch went to the end-of-year party at school with my 11-year-old. I’m sure they will be bouncing off the walls this afternoon. :) Thanks so much for pointing me to the recipe!!!

PhillyGirl,

Thanks for the good review. Sweetness tolerance really is a factor here. Again, I’m glad to hear you were successful with the big marshmallows. That was a clever trick you used — putting the marshmallows in the oven to soften them before adding the top crust. I’m going to remember that one.

15. nicole says

This was so yummy. it really tastes like smores. i used dark chocolate and I liked it a lot, it wasnt super sweet but i dont like desserts too sweet so it was perfect for me; and all my company liked it. btw, the marshmallow creme is easy to spread; you dont have to heat it, that would ruin it.

16. nicole says

17. nicole says

18. Laura says

I just made these for a bake sale. I had to have one (just to make sure!) and they were delicious. I don’t know how I managed to have just one…I’m sure they’ll be a huge hit tomorrow. Thanks for a great recipe!

19. Jen says

Just an FYI…these bars taste EVEN better when substituting the regular hershey’s chocolate with 2 giant hershey’s symphony bars (with the toffee and almonds included in the bars)and using 1/2 cup regular sugar and 1/4 cup brown sugar instead of the 3/4 reg sugar(I’m always a fan of adding some brown sugar to just about anything!) Oh yeah, and use the whole container of the marshmallow creme, you can never go wrong with a little more! (can you tell I’ve made these a few times!?)

20. Nicole says

I made these for my family… brothers, sisters, and all our kids… everyone liked them but i feel like i overbaked them slightly (but i like things more doughy) anyway, they are great and i will make them again. I used a 9×9 glass pan – worked great!

21. Krisma says

I actually put this recipe on my not-too-organized blog. It’s a smorgasbord of personal blogs, book blogs, and food blogs. I’m just starting out so it’s a little too plain now. But I can’t wait till I try this recipe! It looks so yummy and I have a treat to give to my boyfriend tomorrow!

Thanks for the tip about controlling the sweetness. I hate it when desserts are too sweet cause I end up eating all of them. Hahaha. But thanks so much! Can’t wait to try this recipe!

I love your site, btw! :]

22. Kelley says

I was reading through the comments and noticed that everyone agreed these are excellent but would be much better if you could capture that ‘burnt marshmallow taste’….problem solved! i ripped the larger marshmallows in half and made a layer over the fluff then added the dough to the top but the mallows stuck out and when i cooked them they camae out with a nice golden brown top!!! worth a try…yum!

my family loves when i make this. 1st time i ever made it i burned it, and it wasnt good, but after that, ive made it a lot more times and ive always made sure not to burn it and its so so so so so good. Definitly one of my very favorite recipes ever