Chocolate Chip Cookies from Todd English

by on July 14, 2007 · 9 comments

TOP 5 UPDATE:   This recipe made the Top 5 was because over the years I’ve received lots of emails from people who love it. It does have a lot of baking powder, though — a flavor I’m starting to notice and not favorably. But the recipe is still a good one.

I was craving chocolate chip cookies and decided to try a recipe out of The Figs Table. My favorite recipes from the book are in the pizza and pasta categories, but there are also some great desserts, one of which is the white chocolate challah pudding, which is now my benchmark for bread pudding. Given this book’s history, I figured these cookies would be awesome. They have the perfect level of sweetness, light crisp edges and soft centers. They’re also packed with chunks of chocolate and nuts. The oats, which are completely pulverized, add depth and flavor, but aren’t really recognizable in the cookie.

fuzz pulverizes.jpg

Here are the cookies……still hot.

chocolate chip cookies from Figs table.jpg

Chocolate Chip Cookies – adapted from a Todd English recipe in The Figs Table

1 cup walnut or pecan pieces
20 tablespoons (285 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup (200 grams) light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup (96 grams) granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice or 2 teaspoons espresso powder dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 cups (260 -270 grams) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking soda
1 teaspoon (5 ml) kosher salt (Morton brand, if using Diamond you’ll need more)
1 cup (90 grams) rolled oats, pulverized in food processor (measure 1 cup before pulverizing)
3 cups any combination of semi-sweet, bitter sweet chocolate chunks (T.E. includes white chunks and milk chunks)

Place nuts in a large skillet set over medium heat. Cook nuts, stirring often, for 3-5 minutes or until they become aromatic and start to release their oil. Remove from skillet and allow them to cool completely.

Using an electric mixer (a stand mixer, if you have one), cream the butter and both sugars; Beat in the vanilla, then beat in your choice of 1) lemon juice or 2) dissolved espresso. I used lemon juice. Add the egg and egg yolk and beat just until eggs are until blended into the batter; Do not overbeat after adding the eggs.

In a separate bowl, thoroughly stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and kosher salt. Add the flour mixture to the batter and mix just until well-blended. Add the oats to the batter and stir just until blended. Stir in the cooled chopped nuts and chocolate

Chill the dough for about an hour if you have the time and would like slightly thicker cookies.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Spoon large tablespoonfuls of dough 3 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet; bake one sheet at a time for 13-15 minutes or until cookies are brown around edges but still soft in the middle. Allow them to sit on the cookie sheet for 3 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool.

The yield is supposed to be 48 cookies, but I tend to make mine slightly larger and wind up with fewer.

Published on July 14, 2007

Debbi July 14, 2007 at 7:38 pm

What did you use for chocolate chips and chunks? It looks like you have dark and milk chocolate in there. I am SO going to try these next week. Always looking for a reason to make chocolate chip cookies!!

sandra July 14, 2007 at 8:04 pm

So the recipe has one whole egg and then the yolk of another, correct? Just checkin….

Anna July 14, 2007 at 9:03 pm

Amela, photographing food feels weird at first, but you get used to it. Your husband will too. My husband now requests that I photograph whatever it is he’s cooked. I only feel creepy taking pictues of food at restaurants. Wish I could get past that, but it just feels wrong. Plus, flash bothers other diners. Still, I am always amazed at these pictures people post of meals they’ve had in various restuarants.

Debbi, I used a cut-up Lindt dark bar, a handful of Ghirardelli bittersweet chips and at the end, I stuck some milk chocolate into the baked cookies. As a rule, I don’t bake milk chocolate…I just stick it in the cookies at the end.

Sandra, yes. One whole egg plus 1 egg yolk. You’ll have an extra egg white to deal with. I kept mine on the kitchen counter all day, then realized I didn’t have a use for 1 egg white and threw it out.

cookleitz July 16, 2007 at 8:09 am

I made these over the weekend and liked them a lot. I used the bottom of several bags of chips – white, milk, semisweet chocolate and butterscotch. Next time, think I will use semisweet and some Heath Toffee bits to mix it up a bit.

Anna July 16, 2007 at 9:53 am

Cookleitz, I liked them a lot too. The only issue I had was that they didn’t taste as good the second day. That is, they didn’t keep well. Like most chocolate chip cookies, these are best eaten the same day.

Judy Castranova September 9, 2007 at 2:28 pm

Hi Anna. Like your website changes. I tried this recipe because am always looking for a better chocolate chip cookie and was intrigued by the lemon juice among other things. Here are the changes I made: Used 4oz Smart Balance Buttery Spread and 8 oz. unsalted butter; 1-1/4 cups white sugar, 1 Tbsp. molasses; added 1 Tbsp. cornstarch; reduced salt to 1/2 tsp. and used sea salt; added 2 Tbsp. quick oats not pulverized along with the pulverized cup of oats; 1 cup Hershey mini Krackels chopped, 1 cup semisweet morsels and 1/2 cup milk chocolate morsels which was 1/2 cup less chocolate than recipe called for. They turned out scrumptious — crisp on the edges and tender and soft inside –this recipe is definitely a keeper. Will be trying the Jacques Torres recipe soon and am wondering how you think the two recipes compare, since they have some similarities? Will be posting the recipe with my changes and a link to your site on my blog. Regards.

Debbi January 25, 2008 at 3:13 pm

I finally tried these and I love them! I used semi sweet chips, white chocolate chips and cut up a milk chocolate bar. They were awesome! I chilled the dough overnight so the cookies were very thick after cooking which I love! Thanks!

Anna January 25, 2008 at 3:16 pm

That Todd English knows what he’s doing! LOL.

Glad you liked the cookies. If you can find it (and I’m sure you can on the Internet), the Fig’s Table cookbook is a good one. There’s also one called The Olives Dessert Table which you might like even better.

Anonymous February 25, 2008 at 10:26 am

how do you get cookies to be soft and chewy like the cookies from millies and fresh bakeries?? I cannot work it out! every batch of choc chip cookies i make turn out cakey or crispy…:-(
advice anyone??