Brown Sugar & Honey Pecan Bars

by on September 13, 2007 · 8 comments

These were better than expected – thicker and chewier than most pecan pie type bars and kind of candy-ish. These bars do not contain eggs.

pecan-bars-for-blog.jpg

Brown Sugar & Honey Pecan Bars

Crust
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed (light or dark)
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 ounces cold butter, cut up

Filling
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar, packed (light)
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups coarsely chopped pecans (see note)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13×9 inch metal pan with non-stick foil or parchment. It’s important to line the pan because these are very sticky.

Prepare crust. Combine flour, brown sugar and salt in food processor and pulse 3 times to mix. Add butter and process until mixture is crumbly – it will be really dry. Pour over bottom of pan and press tightly. Bake for 20 minutes.

Prepare the filling. In a heavy saucepan melt the butter. When the butter is completely melted, stir in brown sugar and honey. Simmer mixture for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in cream, vanilla and pecans.

Pour the pecan mixture over crust and spread evenly. Bake on center rack for 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on a rack for at least an hour. To quick-cool, let them cool down as much as possible then shove them in the refrigerator. I had to do this.

Makes 1 (13×9 inch) pan.

Note: I toasted the pecans by tossing them with a tablespoon of butter heating them in a roasting pan for 10 minutes at 350 degree F. I liked the toasty flavor, but I think these would be good even without toasted pecans.

Published on September 13, 2007

BoydGreeneArt September 14, 2007 at 8:29 am

Looks so good I might have to bake me some up!

Jackie September 14, 2007 at 9:01 am

Anna,
The pecan bars look delicious. You might also want to try this recipe one day: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_34777,00.html A word of warning — it makes a large quantity and you need to put something under the baking pan as it tends to overflow the pan when the mixture boils. But they are so delicious and get rave reviews.
Jackie

marye September 15, 2007 at 9:36 am

OH MY! Those. Look. Amazing.

Anna September 15, 2007 at 9:39 am

If any of you try these, let me know. They are very different than other pecan bars in that they have a very thick shortbread crust and the topping is very firm. I did receive a compliment on the bars and will be baking this recipe again soon.

Judy September 19, 2007 at 10:02 am

I checked the Barefoot Contessa recipe and it also looks great. Pecan bar recipes have been around a long time — longer than we realize — I have an old Williamsburg cookbook that has a recipe very similar to yours, Anna, but what I like about yours is you don’t have to boil the butter, sugar and honey for 5 minutes. Their shortbread dough has egg in it though. You have a lot of good new recipes posted that I want to try when I have time, especially those pumpkin cheese bars.

Anna September 19, 2007 at 12:11 pm

Judy, I didn’t know there was a Barefood Contessa version. I’ll have to take a look.

Judy September 19, 2007 at 1:04 pm

Anna – just click on the link that Jackie sent you.

Radha February 4, 2009 at 11:11 am

Thank you for this recipe, I am always looking for egg free, yummy recipes. I am looking forward to trying them out.