Chocolate Mascarpone Brownie

I’m not sure what I was looking for when I stumbled upon “chocolate mascarpone brownies”, but the recipe sounded interesting. Topping a brownie with creamy mascarpone or perhaps marbling it through the batter seemed like an excellent idea, but in this recipe, the mascarpone is mixed right in with the brownie batter.  I was skeptical, but the recipe had 17 ratings several reviewers thought the texture was superior. I had to find out what mascarpone could do for brownie batter, so I bought a tub ($3.99) and some Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate.

When I took the pan out of the oven, the brownies appeared grainy.  I reminded myself that brownies need to sit, so I iced them with the ganache, let them cool, then chilled them for a few hours. The end result was a fantastic fudge brownie with a texture that was truffle-like, yet dense and brownie-ish. I couldn’t really taste the mascarpone, but perhaps it will be discernible tomorrow.

I did make one change to the original. Lennie, who posted the recipe, says to use a glass pan.  I used a metal pan lined with non-stick foil. Total cook-time was around 42 minutes.

Sorry the picture’s not great. I am a little tired right now. Maybe tomorrow I’ll get a better shot.

chocolate-mascarpone-brownie-for-blog.jpg

Comments

oh, these look so amazing. i was out to dinner last night and was VERY tempted to get their mascarpone bread pudding after my meal, but i refrained. now that you’ve posted a mascarpone dessert, i can go ahead and put mascarpone to good use myself!

does it ever bug you on the food network when one of the stars will say “MARscapone” when referring to this cheese?

Well, bread pudding needs all the help it can get. Kicking it up with some mascarpone seems like a good idea, because there’s nothing worse than ordering bread pudding and getting a pile of gloppy French Toast like stuff. When bread pudding is good, it’s very good….but when it’s bad.

One nice thing about this recipe is it only uses 4 ounces, so you can use the rest of the tub (assuming you’re buying an 8 oz tub) for single size tiramisu or whatever.

So who’s the one who says MARscapone? If it’s Giada, then I’m going to start staying MARscapone too. Heh Heh. Seriously, I pronounce everything wrong so it probably wouldn’t bug me. I read a lot of words which people in my circle just don’t say…..like m-a-s-c-a-r-p-o-n-e. They can, however, pronounce Manchaca (Austin joke).

oh, you KNOW giada is going to (over)pronounce an italian cheese correctly!

bobby flay is constantly mispronouncing the ingredients he cooks with. so maybe he’s one of the people i’m thinking of . . .

i looked up manchaca and saw a pronunciation guide– but i still don’t know how to say it!

4. Christa says

I just made these tonight for a function tomorrow morning. My family couldn’t resist trying a little bit. They are fabulous! The ganache topping makes them divine.

Hi Christa,

Make sure you save one for yourself so you can try it tomorrow. I personally think they are better the second day. Glad you liked them. I wish I knew who dreamed up this recipe.

6. TampaDawn says

I think Giada IS one of the MARscapone offenders, as is Rachel Ray, I think. Now, Mario B-you CAN count on him to say it right-so I pay attention to his pronounciations-he’s well-versed in Italian (and the different dialects.)

I also agree-Bobby Flay is hopeless.

Good day to all! Must make a biscotti-style macadamia-nut bread pudding: biscotti croutons, I made, rehydrated crans & figs in cran-pom juice & will dry & dust w/ flour prior to adding to egg/juice batter to add more toasted macs before baking.

Yumm-O (thanks, Rachel!!!)

7. TampaDawn says

Oh-forgot-gonna swirl in a tub of mascarpone, flavored with vanilla?, something, maybe lemon would go w/ the cran/figs better?