Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

by on September 17, 2007 · 22 comments

Last week a Cookie Madness reader mentioned a whoopie pie she ate at Disney World’s MGM Studios — specifically, a carrot cake whoopie pie. Until then, I’d never heard of a carrot cake flavored whoopie pie and for the past few days, haven’t been able to get the idea out of my mind. Without an actual carrot cake whoopie recipe or the time to figure one out, I just made half a batch of these pumpkin ones. They’re great — high and light with a cream cheese filling which is slightly richer and heavier than more traditional whoopie pie fillings. If you don’t want to use cream cheese or need a filling that’s more portable and less messy, you might try making the cookie part of this recipe and using the Amish filling recipe here. In the meantime, I’m going to plan a trip to Disney World so I can get a carrot whoopie pie.

pumpkin-whoopie-pies-on-plate.jpg

It just occurred to me, as I was wrapping these in Halloween cling wrap and trying to figure out what to do with them, that the cookie part of this recipe would be great for Fall flavored ice cream sandwiches. You could sandwich in dulce de leche ice cream, butter pecan, vanilla bean…..yum.

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Filling
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, cool
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (3 1/2 ounces) Marshmallow Creme
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large mixing bowl, stir together pumpkin, eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

In a second bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and stir just until mixed.Using a generously rounded tablespoon, drop 9 rounds about 2 inches apart onto each cookie sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes, rotating baking sheets from front to back and top to bottom halfway through baking. Let cool for a minute on cookie sheets, then transfer to a rack. Repeat with remaining dough to make 36 cookies.

When cookies are cool, prepare filling. Filling: With electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Scrape down sides of bowl and beat in salt. Add marshmallow crème and continue beating until incorporated. Scrape down side of bowl and vanilla, then gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth.Spread 2 tablespoons filling on center of flat side of one cookie. Place flat side of second cookie on filling and press cookies together to bring filling to edges. Repeat with remaining cookies and filling.

Makes 18 sandwich cookies

Published on September 17, 2007

ErickaJo September 17, 2007 at 3:46 pm

I’ll have to take a picture of my wedding cake. A company in town called Whoop it Up is making it for us. A 3 tier whoopie pie cake. The bottom tier will be classic, the middle double chocolate with raspberry (my favorite) and the top one pumpkin. They also do strawberry and vanilla, and all other types of yumminess. I met them at an expo and saw that they did cakes. I asked them if they had ever done a wedding cake and the head baker said “No. … but we really want to!”
20 days to go, I’ll email you a picture when I start doing all the picture stuff :D

Anna September 17, 2007 at 3:54 pm

ErickaJo, I have to see that cake. Thanks!

Now I’m trying to find Whoop it Up on the Internet. Do you happen to have a link to their site? I’ll keep looking.

Anna September 17, 2007 at 3:57 pm
Gigi September 17, 2007 at 4:00 pm

Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies?! In all my visits to Disney I have never seen those. I may have to get my spies on the case and see if somebody can send me a photo and/or recipe.

Barbara September 17, 2007 at 6:27 pm

Ok..here is my address…please send me a plethora of whoopie pies:)haha

They look fantastic Anna, I want a carrot cake one Mmmmmmmm

Kelly September 17, 2007 at 7:30 pm

Anna, these look great! I live vicariously through your baking. I would love you to come do a cooking presentation at my sorority house – my sisters would love it : )

Anna September 17, 2007 at 8:28 pm

Amy, hopefully you’ll write about them before I make more.

Barbara, they’re coming Fed Ex. Okay, not really.

Kelly, I have my own sorority. It’s called I Eta Cookie.

Johnny September 17, 2007 at 11:01 pm

My aunt makes chocolate woopie pies. We eat them with forks.

I wonder if a scoop of cinnamon ice cream would compliment these. Can’t go wrong a la mode.

Anonymous September 18, 2007 at 5:31 am

Those look great! As for the carrot cake version, here’s something that might get you started:

Anna September 18, 2007 at 6:10 am

Ice cream would definitely go well — either sandwiched between or on the side.

Anna September 18, 2007 at 6:14 am

Anonymous,

Thanks for the link. Those carrot cookies are gorgeous and I will see if I can work with that recipe. I liked how light and cakey the above recipe is and am wondering if I could just swap out the 15 oz mashed pumpkin for 15 oz roasted mashed carrot.

Anna September 18, 2007 at 7:40 am

I guess these would work as carrot whoopie pies.

….just add a filling.

Augustina September 18, 2007 at 9:42 am

I just made the traditional chocolate cream-filled whoopie pies a couple weeks ago and loved them. I’ll have to give these a try especially with fall just around the corner. thanks for the recipe!

citymouse September 18, 2007 at 12:29 pm

these would be great at a halloween party. Melt chocolate and make little jack-o-lantern faces on the front!

Anna September 18, 2007 at 1:13 pm

So Keith, if you happen to see this, do you remember where at MGM you bought your carrot whoopie pie? Was it at the book store or “Starring Rolls”…and was it cakey like a real Amish whoopie pie or was it just a soft sandwich cookie with a texture not unlike Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies, because that wouldn’t be a Whoopie Pie. I suspect it was a real Whoopie Pie and not a just a soft sandwich cookie.

I need to go check airfare from Austin to Orlando.

heather September 20, 2007 at 4:02 pm

Hey Anna!

Someone mentioned your yummy pies in the Bake & Destroy Flickr group!:

Anna September 20, 2007 at 4:10 pm

What a cool group! I just joined. I don’t know much about Flickr groups, but a lot of them seem fun.

Terri September 20, 2007 at 8:13 pm

Anna these look really good from the Diana’s desserts site. The are carrot cake cookies sandwiched with cream cheese filling.

Anna September 21, 2007 at 6:42 am

Terri, thanks for the link. Those aren’t exactly Whoopie pies, but they look BETTER. Plus, anything off Diana’s web site will be good.

Tiffany October 29, 2007 at 12:37 pm

I made these yesterday….woooow they are soooo good!!!!!! The best pumpkin cookies I believe I’ve ever made…

Carrie Keller March 5, 2008 at 9:45 pm

I’m a HUGE fan of Walt Disney World and I am absolutely obsessed with the carrot cake cookies they serve there. I’m not sure if you know this or not, but there are various versions in different parks.
Goofy’s candy kitchen in Downtown Disney, as well as the Main Street bakery in the Magic Kingdom, and the candy store there as well, all serve an ‘open faced’ version, if you will, of the carrot cake cookie. They are large, fairly hefty cookies that have a heaping pile of cream cheese frosting on top. Over in the Disney Studios (mgm), I discovered another version, but I didn’t see it at all as being a whoopie pie, but rather a double stacked carrot cake cookie that was very similar to the ones mentioned above. The difference was that they not only had a second cookie on top, but they had about double the frosting. Absolutely incredible.
I’ve searched endlessly for a clone recipe but have never found anything even close. I hope you can try one yourself someday and maybe come up with a close copy!

Kim March 11, 2010 at 8:21 am

Actually, At Disney MGM, they call it a carrot cake cookie. It is at Mickey’S Newstand or Newshop. I am not sure why they don’t call it a whoopie pie, but it was delicious!