Raspberry Chipotle Manchego, Chicken & Bacon Tapas

by on September 27, 2007 · 7 comments

Manchego cheese is kind of expensive. If you don’t want to spent the $$ on the Manchego, you can make these with a Monterey Jack.  A friend of mine made them with Pepper Jack and they were even better.

Raspberry Chipotle, Manchego, Chicken & Bacon Tapas

1 pound roll store-bought roll of polenta (Melissa’s, Alessi or you can make your own, of course)
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 cups diced onions
1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped
6 slices pre-cooked bacon, chopped
2 cups shredded Manchego cheese (divided use)
2/3 cup Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce (Fischer & Wieser)
3 tablespoons pecan pieces
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 13×9 inch pan with cooking spray.

Slice polenta into 12 equal rounds. Heat a large (10 or 12 inch) non-stick skillet over medium. Grill polenta rounds for 4 minutes on each side. Lay rounds, keeping as close together as possible, across bottom of pan.

Add butter and onions to skillet and cook over medium for 3 minutes. Add chicken and cook with onions, breaking chicken up into very small chunks, for 4 minutes or until chicken is just-opaque. Remove from heat and stir in chopped bacon.

Sprinkle 1 cup of the shredded cheese evenly over polenta rounds; Spoon chicken mixture evenly over cheese. Drizzle raspberry chipotle sauce over cheese, then top with remaining 1 cup of cheese. Sprinkle pecans over top.

Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly; sprinkle top with cilantro. Serve on small plates, tapas style.

Makes 6 appetizer servings

Published on September 27, 2007

Anna September 27, 2007 at 10:53 am

Jennifer, I’m sure everyone will like it. It’s fun to serve something different once in a while.

Therese, I recently learned that you do NOT like cilantro, but for everyone else, here’s a another product recommendation. The Four Star Provisions Cilantro & Pepito Pesto. You can make a similar version from scratch, but it’s easier just to buy theirs. Here’s the link. It’s so good. I love putting it on panini sandwiches with chicken and jalapeno jack cheese. You can also toss it it with pasta or add it to soups.

Jennifer September 27, 2007 at 10:03 am

I can’t wait to try making these for my Bunco Night with my girlfriends. My one friend recently turned me onto Ficher Wieser and now we can’t get enough of it.

Therese September 27, 2007 at 10:45 am

Well, I have JUST ordered 2 bottles of that Raspberry Sauce from Ficher Wieser. I checked out their website and it REALLY appealed to me!
The only sauce that I was thinking of using was from Target/Archer brandname. But, when I went onto the Ficher/Wieser website I was so charmed by the history and the pictures of their co.
They have a great recipe site as well! I am sure it will be worth the S & H!!!! and TO MAKE YOUR WINNING TAPA recipe as well!

shoyski September 27, 2007 at 12:30 pm

This is by far, one of the best appetizers I’ve ever tried (and made). I get rave reviews and DH and I have been known to eat it for dinner. :-)

Thanks for passing it along.

Shelley

Anna September 27, 2007 at 1:01 pm

Hi Shelley,

Thanks for the review. It probably means more coming from you than from me since I made it up ;).

I would eat it for dinner too, but I’m the only one in the family who likes polenta.

Therese September 27, 2007 at 1:43 pm

Anna:

I will have to get that pepito sauce for my hubby/Christmas gift. John LOVES cilantro!
Thanks for sharing intruiging flavor choices with us all!

Can’t wait till the brown truck comes with my Texas sauce!

Adare September 27, 2007 at 3:32 pm

This was terrific! I’ve been a huge fan of the raspberry chipotle for years. Since we’re veggies I made a veg version (used Morningstar Farms chicken strips, which I happened to have on hand, until I can figure out what good veggies to substitute, and their bacon). Everyone loved this!