Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

by on October 19, 2007 · 59 comments

I was craving homemade peanut butter cookies today and made some of these. I’m the only one who likes peanut butter around here, so I scaled the recipe down to 10 cookies and put those measurements at the bottom for others who don’t need 40 cookies. Normal Peanut butter-loving households will want to make the full batch. Just be careful because these guys are addictive. They come out of the oven puffy, soft and hot and firm up as they cool.

flourless peanut butter cookies

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

1 large egg
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon Mexican vanilla
1/3 cup chopped peanuts, to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a mixing bowl, beat together egg, sugar, baking soda and vanilla. I use an electric mixer for this, but you can do it with a whisk. Beat in the peanut butter and stir in the peanuts.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Cookies will look puffy and soft when the come out of the oven, but they sink and firm up as they cool.

Makes about 40 cookies.

Small Batch: Use about a tablespoon of beaten egg, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 cup peanut butter, a little dash of vanilla and a tablespoon of chopped peanuts.

Published on October 19, 2007

Debbi October 19, 2007 at 12:15 pm

How is Mexican vanilla different from regular vanilla?? Just a stronger flavor?

maria~ October 19, 2007 at 1:15 pm

Wow! I’m a peanut butter nut myself. I must try this recipe soon! Thanks for sharing.

Paige October 19, 2007 at 3:30 pm

Yummy! There’s a flourless peanut butter cookie in One Smart Cookie that we like too!

Anj October 19, 2007 at 3:32 pm

I love this recipe, but have never figured out how to make a small batch — thanks! I use Mexican vanilla too. I think it makes baked goods taste extra special.

Kelly October 19, 2007 at 3:37 pm

Wow… these look really puffy compared to other flourless recipes I have tried. I must try!

Gigi October 19, 2007 at 4:20 pm

This might be a silly question, but did you use salted peanuts?

Anna October 19, 2007 at 4:24 pm

Gigi, yes. I used salted peanuts. I like the sweet/salty combo.

Emilie October 19, 2007 at 4:31 pm

I like this recipe because you used the peanut butter as the fat, which makes sense. I’ve had too many greasy peanut butter baked goods.

Judy October 19, 2007 at 5:16 pm

Anna, these look amazing. I want to try them but I don’t have Mexican vanilla.

Anna October 19, 2007 at 5:33 pm

I buy giant bottles of Mexican vanilla and I always have it on hand. But you can use any vanilla. Some people don’t add vanilla at all, but I like the flavor it adds.

Kim October 19, 2007 at 6:07 pm

2 X 4 Peanut Butter Cookies

2 cups crunchy peanut butter
2 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla

Mix together. Roll into tablespoon sized balls and flatten in crisscross pattern with fork. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes, or until edges are slightly browned.

These are an old standby in my house, and the kids love ‘em!

Paula from Only Cookware October 19, 2007 at 8:43 pm

I’m definitely going to try this one. I just happen to have all the ingredients except the Mexican vanilla but I will just use regular vanilla essence and see how it goes.

Lisa Ernst October 20, 2007 at 10:46 am

I was just trying to conjure up something similar to this cookie in my head, and here it is! I’m amazed that the cookie can have this much structure and texture without any flour. I imagine that just enhances the taste. I’ll have to add chocolate chips. :-)

Anna October 20, 2007 at 10:55 am

About the structure. One thing I did which may have helped make the cookies so pretty is I beat the sugar and egg with an electric mixer on high rather than just beating it with a spoon. I’m thinking maybe the high speed beating whipped some air into the batter AND helped dissolve the sugar more leading to a nice structure.

It’s an easy recipe to play around with, especially if you just make 10 cookies.

Also, if you have a scale, you can avoid measuring the peanut butter with a measuring cup. I put the mixing bowl on the scale, set the tare to “0” and added 2 1/2 ounces (weight) of peanut butter. Peanut butter weighs a bit more than its volume. That is, 2 ounces volume weighs about 2 1/2 ounces or something like that.

Judy October 20, 2007 at 6:30 pm

Anna – What brand Mexican vanilla do you use and where do you get it?

Anna October 20, 2007 at 7:27 pm

I use a brand called La Vencedora. I buy it at Central Market, but it can also be purchased on-line. Just put it in Google.

Laura October 20, 2007 at 8:41 pm

I just made these and they were delicious! They melt in your mouth. I’m quite ashamed to say that I just ate three–I couldn’t stop! There goes my diet…
They were well worth it :)

Anna October 20, 2007 at 10:31 pm

Laura, I had the same problem. I could have easily eaten all 10.

I did manage to save some, and they still taste fresh on day 2.

Paula from Only Cookware October 21, 2007 at 5:21 am

I made these the other day Anna. I couldn’t believe how quick and easy these were. Just had two now with a cup of tea….yum! You can see the results here – http://www.only-cookware.com/blog/2007/10/20/peanut-butter-cookies-the-easiest-recipe-ever/

Rhonda November 11, 2007 at 6:45 pm

I love your site and visit daily.
I tried these cookies and would love feedback as to why they didn’t turn out like the pic?

I expected them to spread, they did not. They remained little peanutty mounds, while tasty, didn’t have the visual appeal I was looking for.

I used the same ingridients listed. I’m thinking the culprit might be the peanut butter. I used Smart Balance with no hydrogenated oils. Can that be the reason?

Anna November 12, 2007 at 9:49 am

Hi Rhonda,

I have some Smart Balance, so I’ll check.

e November 22, 2007 at 8:46 pm

Thank you SO much for the small batch recipe. I always appreciate that.

carol January 17, 2008 at 5:26 pm

These are the best!!!

I only had 3/4 cup of peanut butter, so I put in 1/4 cup of wheat germ and they are fantastic!!!!

mzachem February 17, 2008 at 3:13 pm

I added 1/4 c ground flaxseed. Turned out super!

Debbi February 21, 2008 at 1:26 pm

I just made these for my kids’ cousin who is wheat and dairy free. They are delicious! Mine were pretty small and I got 34 cookies. Mine didn’t sink at all. They stayed very thick but not still in a ball. I used Chunky Honey Nut Skippy and regular vanilla. I also used the mixer and I agree that might have gave them more “fluff”. We don’t do peanut butter too often as some of my daycare kids are allergic to peanuts but I’ll for sure be making these again!

AppetiteforChina April 2, 2008 at 7:50 pm

I just made these yesterday and they turned out great! I used chunky instead of smooth peanut butter, so the cookies came out very crunchy. I’ll definitely make these again the next time I run out of butter!

michelle June 14, 2008 at 10:26 pm

i used 1 cup skippy peanut butter, 1 cup sugar, and one egg. i mixed all three together.

should have added the peanut butter last.

the cookies kind of tasted good but crumbled when i touched them.

and forgot the baking soda!

can you name the brands of ingredients i should try to get cookies like in your picture?

devon July 17, 2008 at 11:16 am

cookies were great. i added a little coco
powder in the batter ,and it was delicious.
my cookies came out a little dry but i must have overbaked them a little so just watch out!

Colin October 1, 2008 at 6:37 pm

These went over with a bang in my house. I can’t keep them more than 2 days. Wife and kids love ‘em.
Made a slight variation for myself. Dropped 1/4 cup flour, added 2-3 tsp baking coacoa, and chocolate chips.

Colin October 1, 2008 at 6:40 pm

whoops. I meant to say I dropped out a 1/4 cup of peanut butter.

Also, only had chunky in the house and it worked great. Added a touch more salt to get the sweet/salty thing.

Anna October 1, 2008 at 6:43 pm

Hi Colin,

I had to laugh at your first post. I thought maybe you didn’t trust the whole “flourless” concept and “dropped in” 1/4 cup flour. Thanks for the clarification. Good call on adding the extra salt! I love sweet & salty.

Kellie October 17, 2008 at 9:16 pm

i have a passion for peanut butter..i need to try these. =P

carissa November 10, 2008 at 2:02 pm

these were delicious but i was wondering why did they come out live arock shape

Charlotte December 3, 2008 at 1:48 pm

Thanks for the recipe. I just printed it and will be trying it with my kids when they get home from school in about half an hour. I am always looking for interesting wheat-free recipes as a few members of my family follow wheat free diets.

Charlotte Bradley December 4, 2008 at 8:30 am

Hi Anna,
We made these yesterday and they were delicious! Perfect texture and very decadent. My twins wouldn’t stop tasting the batter as they wanted to make sure it wasn’t poisonous .. Had no peanuts so just left them out and put a chocolate chip in the middle of each one when they came out of the oven. Yummy and easy, awesome recipe.
Charlotte

Hazel December 6, 2008 at 7:49 pm

My boyfrien and roommate were bugging me to bake some peanutbutter cookies. I was thinking of just making the regular cookies with flour, but I saw this – I had to try it! I’m hoping that without the flour, the peanut butter taste would be more evident!

Three more minutes to go..

Carly January 6, 2009 at 9:56 am

I made these cookies last night with splenda instead of sugar and they are delicious! When using splenda they don’t “sink” back down, so I pressed them with the traditional fork marks (before baking) and it worked beautifully!

Kathy March 11, 2009 at 12:58 pm

Enjoyed the cookie!
However, I didn’t even come close to making 40 making cookies. You must make real small cookies.
I made 13 out of the full recipe.

Anna March 11, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Kathy, mine were fairly small — about a half oz each. I also used a fairly “good” cup of peanut butter so I might have had a little more dough. Not sure. Looks like the yield is all over the place. At least the cookies are good.

Leigh June 4, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Any ideas on substituting agave nectar for the sugar? I’m tempted to make a batch but am on a no sugar/no flour diet ;P

Anna June 4, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Leigh, I don’t know about that. If you try it, let us know how it works.

Leigh June 4, 2009 at 3:16 pm

They turned out fabulous! I made the smaller batch and had to alter it a little. 1 tbsp. beaten egg with 3 tbsp. agave nectar beaten until frothy. Then added baking soda and the mex. vanilla and beat again. Then folded in 2 oz of creamy PB. It was very thin, so I ended up adding about another 3 teaspoons of PB to get it to hold. I didn’t have any plain peanuts so omitted them. I dropped them by the tablespoon on parchment and although the batter was very sticky-gooey, they baked up well! I baked them at 325 for 10 minutes. They turned out beautiful and were melt-in-your-mouth! Soft, cakey, fluffy and airy – not overly sweet and very mild. Definitely a winner, esp for a “diet” cookie!

Leigh June 4, 2009 at 3:16 pm

I forgot to add, I took a picture of the end result if you are interested. They looked beautiful!

Anna June 4, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Leigh, thanks for the feedback! I’m going to have to try your method as a new recipe.

Right now I’m out of agave, but this is a good excuse to buy more.

Teesia December 26, 2009 at 11:29 am

I did a double batch. i like to bring cookies to work with me, and i know my co workers enjoy it.
i did a few things differently, and i’m currently baking them, have not gotten to taste yet.
I took 2 eggs, with a splash of milk and beat it with an electric mixer for about 30 sec. took 1 3/4 cup white sugar 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1 tsp vanilla, beat with electric mixer for about 1-2 min, until smoothe. then i added 2/4 cup milk chocolate/peanutbutter chips, along with 2 cups peanut butter and a dash of salt, beat it again with electric mixer.

Brittney B. January 30, 2010 at 5:20 pm

why would you want less hahahaha

(ps)i am a cookie lover and im a little kid

Brittney B. January 30, 2010 at 5:22 pm

good job Teesia a double batch is better :)

ntrlmama June 1, 2010 at 4:31 pm

These are great! I am not eating sugar, white flour or nuts right now (my husband has a nut allergy and I am nursing our son) and have been craving peanut butter cookies. I used the agave variation and substituted sunbutter for the peanut butter and they are delicious! I bet my children will think so after dinner as well. Thanks so much, it’s always hard to find really tasty recipes using only the ingredients I eat these days.

Anna June 1, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Glad you liked them!

tatiana July 25, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I just threw a bath of these in the oven! Im 12 years old and me and my sister baked them together! So easy, so fast! Im so excited to taste them, and see the look on my parents and neighbors faces!