Smarty Party Muffins

by on October 31, 2007 · 14 comments

Fuzz has recovered from whatever she was fighting off, but we went to the doctor anyway for a previously scheduled annual “well-check”. Along with being deemed well, she was given a flu shot. It’s not easy convincing a six year old that a shot’s not as bad as the actual flu, and we are both relieved it’s over and can now focus on Halloween and a fun evening of trick-or-treating.

I wish we lived in a world where it wasn’t unsafe or socially unacceptable to give out homemade goodies, but that’s been frowned upon for as long as I can remember……or at least since the Halloween a lady gave me a jelly doughnut and my dad gobbled it up, claiming it was for my safety. But people never give jelly doughnuts anymore and I guess that’s a good thing.

It’s all about candy now, so starting tomorrow, I’m posting recipes requiring various candies. I’ve already found a few. The most interesting one was “Smarty Party Muffins”. I copied it down immediately then realized it was for the chocolate, widely available in the UK version of Smarties and not the typical sugary American kind. For those of you who have access to chocolate Smarties, here’s the recipe. It calls for margarine, but I’m sure butter would work too.

SMARTY PARTY MUFFINS

Wet Mix:
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup Smarties
Dry Mix:
2 1/2 cups self-rising flour

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.

Thoroughly blend the margarine and sugar; beat in the eggs & milk. Mix in the smarties and then gently fold in the flour. Place in lined muffin cups. Put an extra smartie or two on top of each
muffin before baking, to make them look more colourful. Makes 36.

Bake for 20 minutes.

Note: Use Chocolate Smarties, not the sugary American kind!

Published on October 31, 2007

carole October 31, 2007 at 12:33 pm

Anna

I have you beat by 30+ years and Fuzz by 50+ years. Back in the dark ages, when it was safe to go tricker or treating, we went out 2 nights. October 30th, Beggers Night and October 31, Halloween.

We were able to cover 3 streets each night. everybody had more than 1 bag and it was not unusual to drop a load off at home before continuing.

Those were the good old days.

T. Martin October 31, 2007 at 12:51 pm

Hi Anna,

Check out this side-by-side analysis/comparison of Smarties and M&Ms. Based on the review it would seem one could sub M&Ms for the Smarties in this recipe…

Anna October 31, 2007 at 1:08 pm

But did anyone give you jelly doughnuts, Carole???

T, now I’m dying to do a side-by-side Smarties vs. M&M’s taste test. I also find it interesting that Cybele shares my same affinity for the almond flavored M&M’s (she mentions that toward the end). I kind of thought I was the only one buying them ;).

carole October 31, 2007 at 1:42 pm

I got powdered sugar doughnuts but they were not home made.

Angie October 31, 2007 at 3:02 pm

Our trick or treat night was last Friday ( dont ask me why) and so our newspaper today had recipes for leftover Halloween candy…I made candy bar cookies today for a Halloween party my teenage daughter is hosting this evening…just a scary movie and some games. It is a basic tollhouse cookie recipe but instead of adding chips you add chopped up candy and you mae them with a bigger scoop. I added peanut butter cups, snickers, kit kats and some chopped up hershey bars ( we live 10 minutes from Hershey, Pa and so Hershey products are big here)… the cookies were delicious and they are monster sized!

Jenny October 31, 2007 at 2:10 pm

M&M’s would be a good substitution but smarties are different somehow. My memory tells me the chocolate is much more creamy and delicious, but maybe I’m just being an anti-american snob!

Anna October 31, 2007 at 2:21 pm

Mmmmmmm. Doughnuts.

Jenny, I think you are correct. A Canadian friend sent me some Smarties one time and I do remember them as being somewhat meltier and creamier. The note next to the recipe says the cooked Smarties become melty and soft inside the M&M’s. I can’t imagine M&M’s (which I love so very much) doing that.

Speaking of M&M’s in muffins, I found this with Google. Can’t imagine what they must taste or look like.

Janet October 31, 2007 at 4:26 pm

Anna, Fuzz looks adorable in her costume!! Thanks for all the fun recipes! I hope to have some leftover candy and put your recipes to good use!!! Happy Halloween!

Jackie October 31, 2007 at 7:28 pm

Smarties are very similar to M and M’s but much better. The orange ones are the best as they taste kind of orangey. Also the outer candy shell is more melty than M and M’s. We used to like the red ones and rub them on our lips and pretend we were wearing lipstick. My parents have brought us a big bag of candy from England so I’ll have to check if there are any Smarties in there so that I can see what they are like in the recipe.

Anna November 1, 2007 at 9:40 am

Angie, cutting candy into chunks and putting it into chocolate chip cookies is a good fallback. I’ll probably end up doing that too.

Janet, I hope you had some leftover candy.

Jackie, thanks for confirming that the outer candy shell is more melty. Cybele’s analysis mentioned it had some ingredients other than sugar and that probably contributes to the softness. I like that the orange flavored candy has a bit of orange. Chocolate-orange seems to be a much more popular flavorful combination outside the U.S..

Brian November 1, 2007 at 11:08 am

Here’s a comparison of US and UK Smarties and here’s a review of UK Smarties by an American

Anna November 1, 2007 at 11:26 am

Brian, that was very interesting. I wonder what it is that gives Cadbury chocolate (which I also love) its distinctive flavor. If Nestle’s Smarties have that similar essence, well…..

I have to admit, I’d probably feel like I was cheating on M&M’s.

Hey, thanks for the info that the *other* Smarties are called “Rockets” in other lands. I had no idea. I’m going to start calling them Rockets too…..even though the package says Smarties.

Brian November 1, 2007 at 7:45 pm

Yeah – Rockets is a cool name. Smarties is too though. Here’s a Halloween Smarties story :)

Brian

sara November 1, 2007 at 8:32 pm

I skimmed through here yesterday and didn’t really read this recipe, but shouted out to my husband “SMARTY PARTY MUFFINS!” thinking that they were the american smarties… he LOVES those and was beside himself with excitement and begged me to go to the dollar store today to get smarties and get busy baking.

I was sad to have to tell him that his dreams had been shattered. ;)