Granola with Maple Glazed Walnuts

This morning I made Grace Parisi’s granola from the December issue of Food & Wine. I was a little hesitant because the granola cooks at 375 F and I usually make it at much lower temperatures. But the technique for this recipe is slightly different so I figured I’d give it a try. To be safe, I cut the recipe down to a quarter and cooked it in a 13×9 inch pan. I also layed a sheet of foil over the top to prevent over-browning.

granola pile

After 30 minutes, it started to smell and I could tell it was almost done. Total cook-time for the quarter batch was about 38 minutes. It had the perfect sweetness and was both crispy and crunchy. In this recipe, the walnuts are cooked separately from the granola. I held off on making the candied walnuts until I was sure the granola worked out. It did, so I cooked the walnuts at 350 for 10 minutes. The recipe says 375 for 20 minutes, stirring often, but I did that first and the nuts burned.

This is probably the best granola I’ve ever made. The packaging it not fancy, but at least I know it will stay fresh in this tin-tie bag. I’ll probably make more and package it in big jars with cute tags.

bag of granola

Comments

1. Kelly says

I have a quick question about your toffee. If I kept it in a sealed tupperware container till xmas, woud it keep?

Hi Kelly,

If you stuck it in a container and then put the container in the freezer, it would be fine. It keeps for a long time, but I can’t confirm that it would be good a month from now. It *might* be, though. I’ve never tried. But it will definitely keep in the freezer.

3. Judy says

Anna, I thought I would go to you to ask this question. I am looking for cello bags to stack at least a dozen cookies in and then twist tie the top and put a festive ribbon on it for Christmas. My cookies measure across about 3-inches. I would like them to stand up and lay flat on their bottoms. What size bag would I purchase. Would I order the gusset type bag? Would they stack one on top of the other in this type of bag?

Thank you.

Well, there’s always Martha Stewart. Do you see anything you like on this page?

And I highly recommend Paper Mart. They ship wholesale and to the regular consumers and their prices are very reasonable. It sounds like what you need might be on this page.

Another thing I love are their brown tin-tie bags.

5. jenny says

Anna,

I am always eager to try good granola. I made a full batch last night and it is fabulous. Can barely keep from snitching when I walk past the container! I followed the recipe as printed in the magazine and it turned out perfectly. The glazed walnuts are flavorful and crunchy. I am taking it to my family in TN for Thankgiving. We are granola snobs and I know they will love this one! I love your site and usually try what you recommend.

Hi Jenny,

I have a hard time staying away from granola too. Glad you liked this one! Like I said, I think it will become my one and only granola recipe.

Mmm, I like granola, too. It brings out my inner hippie. I like to light some incense and listen to Crosby,Stills,Nash,and Young while I eat it.