Low Fat Chocolate Chip Cookies with White Beans

by on November 25, 2007 · 8 comments

These soft, cake-with-crispy-edged cookies are healthy tasting, but not in a “bad” way.   They are good for snacking or serving to children (Fuzz loved them), but I probably wouldn’t take them to a cookie swap or serve them at a party unless requested.

Epicurious version here.

Adapted version is below

White Bean Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate Chip Cookies with White Beans

3/4 cups oats, old fashioned or quick – not instant
1 cup all purpose flour
3/8 teaspoon baking powder
3/8 teaspoon baking soda
3/8 teaspoon salt (use a bit less if desired)
6 tablespoons drained white beans, mashed or pureed with 1 T. liquid
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon molasses
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 ounces dark chocolate, cut into chunks

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or spray lightly with cooking spray.

In blender, process oats until finely ground. Combine ground oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.

Combine mashed beans, oil, both sugars, molasses, egg, and vanilla in a separate bowl and beat well. Stir in oat/flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chunks.

Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets. Bake 12 minutes until centers are firm and edges are lightly browned. Transfer to wire rack to cool.

Makes 1 1/2 dozen.

S(Internet Address):

Published on November 25, 2007

Deb Schiff November 25, 2007 at 11:52 am

They look pretty good.

I’ve made really fudgy brownies with white bean puree (cannellini) and they passed without anyone lifting an eyebrow — just another brownie!

Love your blog!

Anna November 25, 2007 at 12:52 pm

Hi Deb,

I’ve come to the conclusion that you can hide just about anything in brownies ;).

These cookies are actually very good. They’re not as rich and sinful as some, but definitely good for snacking.

Jessica "Su Good Sweets" November 25, 2007 at 2:08 pm

I made white bean brownies too! Actually mine (http://www.sugoodsweets.com/blog/2006/09/bean-brownies) spawned Deb’s version.

Someone else also suggested these cookies, and I was curious if they’d actually work. If I make them, I’ll try your version.

pumpkinpie November 27, 2007 at 7:55 am

I added a healthy pinch of cinnamon and served them as scones. All the men gobbled them down without suspecting a thing.

leo November 27, 2007 at 2:14 pm

These look delicious and I will have to try to make them this week.

Just out of curiosity….Do you know where I can get quality organic/vegan ingredients online? I am now trying to order from online stores only because of various reasons…….can you help me with any suggestions??????

There is only one place, out of all that I have tried that really stood out for true quailty, and that is Celebrityfoods.

If you can help me grow my list of quality services or stores, where I can buy my food, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Anna November 28, 2007 at 7:10 am

Hi Leo,

For baking, King Arthur Flour company has everything you need. http://www.kingarthurflour.com.

I tend to my all my organics at the grocery store, so I’m not a great resource for you.

lila December 5, 2007 at 8:39 am

realy this cookies are sutaible for people who are care to their size thanks

Still learning:) September 5, 2011 at 1:15 pm

If too cakey, try dropping flour altogether, and bump up oats. We use ours for recess snacks. :)