New Top 10 — Fall 2007

by on November 7, 2007 · 15 comments

As mentioned in my previous Top 10, there’d be more than one Top 10. Tastes change, so this my current Top 10 as opposed to being a Top 11-20 or something like that. I’m calling it Fall 2007 Top 10.

Note, a couple of cookies have stayed on the Top 10.

Fall 2007  Top 10

Jacques Torres Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe – Crunchy edges, tender centers, lots of nooks & crannies and plenty of chocolate. These are the perfect chocolate chip cookies. Your friends will think you bought them at a bakery. Don’t make any substitutions. If you make one batch and they turn out flat, use a tad bit more flour the next time. If these cookies don’t work out for you, try this recipe.

White Chocolate Raspberry Bars — This recipe is adapted from an old Bake-Off recipe.  Over the years, it’s been refined and revised and entered into more contests.  For instance, it won a Nestle contest under the name Razz-Ma-Tazz Bars” and I’ve seen it many times in books and magazines with different fillings.  You can’t go wrong with this one.

Giant Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies — This recipe, from Elinor Klivans, is perfect. The cookies are huge, soft in the middle, crispy on the outside and open to improvisation. That is, you can sub cranberries with cherries and raisins or change out the nuts. They’re sturdy and can be wrapped up easily for Bake Sales.

KA’s Triple Play Peanut Butter cookies – These should have been in the first Top 10, but at the time, I was kind into criss-cross type peanut butter cookies a few months ago. These don’t have the criss cross. They’re just big, rich, soft (or crunchy if you bake them longer) peanut butter cookies.  By the way….                               Sorry.  I had to.

Dorie Greenspan Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies – What can I say? Dorie Greenspan plus a chocolate peanut butter combo? Easy pick.

Masterpiece White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies – I was impressed the day I first tried this recipe, then received many emails from people who also loved the recipe.

Gourmet Magazine Double Chocolate Biscotti – When you are in the mood for biscotti, this recipe will satisfy. Along with having a deep chocolate flavor, it has a very crunchy and kind of hard (but not tooth breaking) texture. Perfect for dunking or eating alone.

Wanda’s Fudge Brownies – I’m adding Wanda’s recipe to the Top 10 because I received quite a few emails from people saying how good they were.  Plus, I like Wanda.  I don’t know her, but I like her based on her intro to the brownies.

Apple Crumb Bars – These are another new addition to the Top 10. I’m putting them here because if made properly, they are as satisfying as a slice of Dutch Apple Pie. Plus, they’re kind of seasonal and this is a “Fall” Top 10.

Published on November 7, 2007

Jen November 7, 2007 at 8:48 am

Couldn’t find a small bag of bread flour the other day so I made the Cuisine at Home Chocolate Chip Cookies you recommend instead of the Jacques Torres cookies. I received a resounding big thumbs up here from the co-workers.

Anna November 7, 2007 at 8:55 am

Jen, I must need another 10 ounces of coffee because I read “big thumbs up” as “big thumps”. But I’m glad your co-workers liked the cookies. JT’s cookies are excellent, but they’re not as practical given the different types of flours. The Cuisine at Home cookies are good. If you can find the caramel bits, you should try the caramel macchiato version.

Therese November 7, 2007 at 9:05 am

Anna!

I made your top 1 cookie a while back….it truly is the best cookie recipe!!!!

I was wondering if you have ever done a Christmas Cookie Swap in your hoodie? What about a top 10 Christmas Cookie List? Ahhh…would this list qualify? Probably huh? Okay…enough of the questions on my part…sorry!!!

I need some more jo in my cup!

Amy November 7, 2007 at 9:32 am

Hey Anna,

Okay, I tried commenting a long time ago on the alton brown energy bars, but it wouldn’t let me post, so hopefully it will today!

I LOVE your website and visit it multiple times a day, reading recipes, etc and I was so excited to see this entry this morning because I was looking for a good cookie recipe to make tonight and I’ve decided to make the peanut butter chip chocolate cookies except, I’m going to use reese’s pieces instead of peanut butter chips!

Thanks for all the great recipes (I’ve made a ton of them)!!

Adare November 7, 2007 at 9:57 am

Hi Anna,
The Apple Crumb Bars have become a huge hit in our house. I’ve made them 5 (!) times since you posted the recipe, and my daughter made them for a GS sleepover (they got rave reviews). We thank you for such an addictive treat (perfect for fall) and we can’t wait to try the other recipes, esp. the raspberry bars and the giant cranberry cookies!

Anna November 7, 2007 at 11:59 am

Hi Adare,

Thanks for the apple bar endorsement! And I’m happy to hear they were a hit with the Girl Scouts.

stacey November 7, 2007 at 1:41 pm

I agree with you about the jacques torres cookies. very tasty.

somebody once told me that combining those two types of flour made all-purpose. what do you think?

Debbi November 7, 2007 at 4:45 pm

So glad to see that the Masterpiece Macadamia nut cookies survived the cut. Those are my favorites and I am making them tonight! Just send the husband out for macadamia nuts. Oh, and not funny on the kriss kross video. My husband LOVES that song and I HATE it!! So I hit the link not knowing what is going to come on and my husbands comes in RIGHT when the song comes on the computer so he got in my face and called me a closet Kriss Kross junkie. Not a pretty moment. :-) All for the love of the cookie though.

Melissa Smith November 7, 2007 at 6:36 pm

Hi Anna,
I just watched the Pillsbury Bake Off on the Food Network. Congratulations on your win! I was hoping you could share with me what it is you are using over your baking sheet to put the raw cookies on. It looks almost like paper or rubber of some sort. I’m always looking for a way to bake a better cookie. Thanks!

Melissa Smith
Cedar Hill, MO

Anna November 7, 2007 at 7:54 pm

Hello Melissa,

I believe what you saw was a Silpat. They’re these little mats you lay on your cookie sheets to help protect the cookie sheet and keep the cookies from sticking. You can buy them at Linens and Things and Bed, Bath & Beyond. I think Silpats insulate cookies a bit because when I use my Silpat, I rarely get overly browned or burnt bottoms.

cookiechick November 8, 2007 at 5:32 am

Anna! Elinor will be thrilled when I share your Fall Top 10! Good cookie, right! Thanks for sharing your passion with us!

Julie O'Hara November 8, 2007 at 9:43 am

Thank you for the Kriss Kross video–seriously. I didn’t know what would be on the other side of that link, but you have my undying gratitude:) I’ve got to figure out how old I was when that song came out.
Julie

KristaMB November 8, 2007 at 2:37 pm

Hi, Anna. I needed to make a dessert for a meeting last night, and of course started the project at 3 pm! I had originally planned to use up the Halloween candy in bar cookies, but at the last minute made the Apple Crumb bars. I love how quickly they came together using my food processor. They were a huge hit with my friends, and my family enjoyed the leftovers for breakfast this morning. They’re perfect for breakfast, right? Oats, apples…

Anna November 8, 2007 at 4:29 pm

Stacey, I’m not sure about the flour issue. If that were the case, then I’m not sure why JT would use two kinds of flour. It would be interesting to research that!

Cookie Chick, tell EK I said hi ;).

Julie, it came out in 1991 according to Wikipedia.

Krista, thanks for the review!

mrs potato head November 14, 2007 at 2:57 am

The flour issue is about the level of protein in the individual flours, and also the different strain of flour used – some absorb more water than others. The protein level affects the texture of your baked item, because higher protein in flours allows more gluten to be formed. So bread flour has a high protein content so that you get the normal bread texture and cake flour has a low protein content so you get a soft texture.