No Name Pecan Pie

1 cup pecan pieces
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup cup untoasted pecan halves
1 unbaked pie shell, 9 inch

In a heavy saucepan, combine 2 tablespoons of the butter, corn syrup and sugar. Bring to a boil. Cook at a gentle boil, stirring often, until it reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat and let mixture cool for 30 minutes – it should cool down into a gel-like consistency.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, combine remaining 6 tablespoons butter and chopped pecans. Cook pecans and butter together over medium heat, stirring often, until butter begins to brown. Remove skillet from heat and allow pecans/butter mixture to cool.

Transfer cooled corn syrup mixture to a mixing bowl. Mix in eggs, salt, vanilla and pecan/butter mixture. Pour mixture into an unbaked pie shell.  Arrange the untoasted pecan halves around perimeter of pie.

Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F. for 12 minutes.

Reduce heat to 325 degrees F. and bake for an additional 35 minutes. After 35 minutes, the center should be shaky but the center should be quite wiggly.

Remove from oven and let cool on a rack. Pie will set as it cools.

Comments

1. Sue says

My thought at this moment is individual pies, so i can try both this, and the one you posted awhile ago.

Thanks Anna! I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

2. Rachael says

I just made a chocolate pecan pie. It looks so good, it’s killing me to wait to try it!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy T-Day to you, Sue! Let me know what you think of the pie.

Rachael, I haven’t made a chocolate pecan pie in ages. Hope it’s good.

4. Mary says

Thanks Anna!! The recipe sounds great. Are the untoasted pecan halves used as a garnish?
    Happy Thanksgiving

Hi Mary,

Thanks! Yes, they’re a garnish. I just added that. I made this pie twice yesterday (plus another one which was good too) and we loved it. It has a nice smooth filling and a high custard to pecans ratio.

no name pecan pie . . . your title makes this sound so mysterious and intriguing.
    and then the recipe sounds just plain delicious.

happy thanksgiving, anna! i hope you and your family have a lovely day.

7. Aaron says

Dark corn syrup has a better sweet flavor to me and light corn syrup doesnt really have a taste to me, does the addition of sugar help make light corn sweet? Can i use dark corn syrup? Have you tried it with dark corn syrup?