Chocolate Grasshopper Brownie Cookies

Every year Southern Living Magazine has a cook-off. Thousands of people send in entries, but, only 15 of them are invited to the cook-off to compete for the prize of $100,000. In the past, the grand prize has gone to a pecan pie stuffed cheesecake, a shrimp/watermelon salad, a mocha cheesecake, a stuffed pan fried chicken dish and roasted banana ice cream. Those are off the top of my head and not in the right order, but you get the idea.

Back in 2003, Southern Living put out a cookbook featuring recipes that scored high in the test kitchen, but didn’t make it to competition. The book is called Southern Living Cook-Off Cookbook
and it’s one of my favorites because the recipes are unique and homegrown. They’re rough in that some have way too many ingredients or call for odd sized pans or needed a touch of “something” from the test kitchen to be perfect, but the recipes in the book have the test kitchen’s suggestions/fixes written in, so that when you make the recipe at home, it will be perfect.

Chocolate Mint Cookies

This recipe is one of the also-rans, but definitely a winner with me. I chose it because I liked the name and because I had some Andes mint chips to use, but based on how good these were, I’ll be making them again. Here’s the recipe, which was submitted by Karen Hildreth. I re-ordered the ingredients, used unsalted butter and toasted the almond slices, but that’s it.

Chocolate Grasshopper Brownie Cookies

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour (10 oz)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch not recommended)
2 sticks (8 oz) unsalted butter
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs
10 oz bag Andes mint chips
1/2 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted and cooled

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Stir together flour, baking soda and salt. Add cocoa to dry mixture.

In mixing bowl, cream the butter with both sugars. Beat in the egg and vanilla. By hand or using low speed of mixer, stir in the flour mixture. Fold in the chips and nuts.

Drop mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheet then transfer to rack to finish cooling.

3 Dozen

Comments

oh, these sound so good. i saw the title in my feed reader and had to click immediately.

happy holidays to you and your family, anna!

2. naomi eve says

These sound interesting. What are Andes mints? And how does the mint flavour work with almonds?

Happy Holidays to you too, Rebecca!

Naomi, I was concerned that the sliced almonds would taste odd with the mint and almost left them out. I ended up putting them in and am glad I did. They don’t add much taste, but the do give the cookies a bit of crunch. So yes, I recommend keeping them in.

Stacy, I used Andes mint pieces which are very tiny and don’t have to be broken up. You can uses the same amount of Andes mints (10 oz). If you do this, then definitely chop them up.

4. Therese says

Hey Anna!

Could I sub the regular Andes Mints with Candy Cane flavored Andes Mints?? The candy companies have been busy this year. Have you seen the Hot Cocoa flavored Hershey Kisses? There is an intruiging recipe on the back of that package.

Hi Therese,

I have some of those candy cane chips too. And yes, I’m sure they’d work here. The cookies would taste different and might be crunchy due to the chips, but they’d still be good.

6. Reneé says

I just spotted some new M&M’s today at the store – they have an Indiana Jones “theme” and are called Mint Crisp. I grabbed them and when I got home was trying to figure out what to do with them. I was tossing up cookies and brownies and nothing sounded right, and then I thought of a chocolate based cookie, and then I came here! What a perfect recipe to try them in! I left out the almond pieces and used the mint crisp M&M’s and some semi-sweet chocolate chunks. First batch is in the oven now…

The mint crisp M&M’s on their own taste like those fabulous after-dinner mints – the chocolate, but not too chocolate ones you get at the nicer restaurants sometimes. I LOVE them. I had to get them into cookies so I didn’t eat the entire bag!

7. Ginny says

I’ve been sampling several different recipes from your site and don’t have time to comment as often as I’d like but for these I will make time. They are superb. Even my husband, who is rather indifferent to sweets (or really anything that hasn’t been immersed in vinegar–it’s an eastern NC thing), loved them. I made them the first time with slivered almonds and the second time with sliced and I think I’d have to give the edge to the slivers. They’re great either way, though.