Large Chocolate Chip Cookies

by on December 29, 2007 · 15 comments

Today’s cookies were inspired by my new favorite cookbook, Desserts by the Yard. It starts with desserts from Sherry Yard’s life as a girl growing up in Brooklyn, then moves on through her life as a young pastry student and chef to her current status as the pastry queen of Beverly Hills. It’s such a fun read that the recipes are a bonus!

This cookie recipe was modeled after Sherry Yard’s. I used most of her proportions, but went off on my own with the technique. In the book, she is quite detailed as to how things should be done, which is another good reason to buy the book — you will learn a lot.

If your cookies tend to come out flat, this is a good recipe to try. These were thick and dense and the dough was just backdrop to the chocolate. So if you make these, use good chocolate and a lot of it. I used Ghirardelli bittersweet chips. A cut up bittersweet chocolate bar would also work well.

One note. For my version, you definitely need either an electric mixer or a stand mixer because it calls for cold butter.

chocolate chip cookie shot

big chocolate chip cookies

Large Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (180 grams)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (2.5 ml)
1/2 scant teaspoon salt (2.5 ml)
1 stick (115 grams) cold butter, straight from the refrigerator
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed (92 grams)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (98 grams)
1 teaspoon vanilla (5 ml)
1 large egg
1 (12 oz) bag Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips or 12 ounces of chopped bittersweet chocolate

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cut the stick of butter into tablespoon size chunks. Microwave it for 10 seconds. It should not be soft, but it will yield a little bit easier than if it were stone cold. If you are using a stand mixer, you could probably skip that step and just let the paddle attachment attack the cut up butter.

In a mixing bowl or bowl of stand mixer, combine semi-cold butter and both sugars. With paddle attachment OR high speed of a good hand held mixer, beat butter and sugar until butter starts to soften from friction of sugar and beaters. It won’t look smooth and creamy, but sugar will adhere to butter it will look lumpy and grainy. Beat in vanilla and beat until batter is slightly smoother, but still kind of rough. Add egg and beat until egg is incorporated (about 30 seconds).

By hand or using lowest speed of mixer, stir in flour mixture. When flour is incorporated, stir in the chocolate chips – this recipe has a high proportion of chocolate chips.

At this point, you can chill the dough, but it’s not absolutely necessary. Scoop it up by very generous tablespoons and drop mounds onto ungreased cookie sheet spacing at least 3 inches apart.

Bake one sheet at a time on center rack of oven for 13-15 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through. Let cool on cookie sheet for about 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

I’m not sure what the yield is quite yet because I baked 6 cookies and put the rest of the dough away.

Published on December 29, 2007

Jeannie December 29, 2007 at 6:02 pm

Wow, those look awesome! What a great pic! Did you get a new camera (is it just me or does it look like you can just reach out and eat it!! Yum)

Anna December 29, 2007 at 7:50 pm

Jeannie, thanks for noticing. Yes, I got a new camera for my birthday :).

Anj December 30, 2007 at 7:58 am

I love cookbooks that have a story as well. The picture is amazing. Looks like a great recipe. Do you think it will rank in your top 10?

carole December 30, 2007 at 9:27 am

What camera did you get?

Calla December 30, 2007 at 9:34 am

Hi!

The cookies look delicious. Are they chewy or crunchy/crispy?

Anna December 30, 2007 at 9:55 am

Anj, I need to get a second opinion before I put it in the Top 10. If someone else makes it and gets good results, then it just may qualify. I need to stress that this cookie really showcases the chocolate so if you make it, use a lot of good chocolate.

Carole, my new camera is a Canon Powershot G9. I am still learning how to use it. I wish there was someone to come to my house and teach me.

Calla, yesterday the cookies had crispy edges and tender middles. Today, they are solid. Not crunchy, but very sturdy. They still taste good, though! Interestingly, if you cut the Jacques Torres recipe in half, the proportions of flour, sugar, butter and egg are almost the same.

carole December 30, 2007 at 10:30 am

Anna, I have the G7. Exact camera but mine is 10 mp and yours is 12. It takes wonderful pictures. Most of the time I set everything on Auto but I will start playing with oter settings after the first.

Here is a tip for you and anyone else interested. This tip was given to meby a professional photographer who lead my digital photography class.

Unless you are shooting people turn off your red eye reduction. RER eats up your battery and its one less bit of information for the camera to store before it snaps the picture.

If anyone else has any tips please share them.

Happy New Year, everyone

Anna December 30, 2007 at 10:49 am

Hey! That’s a great tip, Carole!

Natanya December 30, 2007 at 1:25 pm

My grandmother used to make her chocolate chip cookies with semi-cold butter, and although her cookies weren’t as big as these, just looking at them takes me back to her kitchen. I am adding them to my “recipes to try” sheet and will report back.

Lynne Laino December 30, 2007 at 2:20 pm

Anna, I’ve been so busy shopping and baking that I haven’t visited your site for weeks – I MISS IT! What a beautiful cookie! My oldest son got me Desserts by the Yard for Christmas and it is wonderful! I haven’t made anything yet but now I’ll have to try these. My husband got me the Canon Power Shot SD870 Elph – I’ve taken some pictures but you’re way ahead of me with your beautiful photo loaded on your blog! I don’t know how you do it all! Thanks for another year of delightful recipes and photos! Now I have to scroll down and see what else I’ve missed – hopefully a photo or two of Fuzz!
Happy New Year and thank you!

Emiline December 30, 2007 at 4:26 pm

Well, I think those are the most perfect looking chocolate chip cookies that I’ve ever seen. I’ve never gotten cookies to look that good.
I’ll try these next time I want to make cookies.

My camera tip for people is to take off the flash, and use natural lighting. Other than that, I don’t really know what to do.

Anna December 30, 2007 at 8:29 pm

Natanya, I am looking forward to your report. Have that on my desk my Monday (kidding). I am looking forward to hearing how these work out for others, though.

Lynn, almost all the pictures on this blog were taken with an Elph Powershot 550, so your Elph SD870 should be even better. I really love using the Elph — especially while traveling. My new camera is bigger and bulkier, but I plan on using it at home. We’ll probably take the Elph on trips. It’s a great little camera.

Emiline, I agree with you about natural light. One thing I like about my new camera is the automatic setting adjusts well to natural light…even moreso than my beloved little Elph.

Raisin'Cookies January 3, 2008 at 6:33 am

I made these cookies yesterday, and they are lovely! I’m eating more now, actually….

Thanks for the recipe!

Cheryl St.John January 3, 2008 at 10:51 am

Oh. My. Goodness. I have to try these!

Hélène January 3, 2008 at 2:12 pm

I baked them today, using your metric measures… they are delicious. I overbaked the first batch so they were a little too crispy (euphemism), but the second batch is perfect.
Thanks again!