NPR Christmas Cookie Show

This weekend was Todd’s birthday. His present was a quick trip to Las Vegas, so that’s where we’ve been and why emails and comments have not gotten a response. I’m catching up! Thanks for the links and suggestions sent in the past two days.

I won’t have a new cookie until tomorrow, so for now, here’s a link to the NPR program where Ruth Reichl talks about cookies. There are some interesting recipes in the comment section of the piece. One of them is a pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe which someone tried to duplicate after trying them at a local grocery store. Coincidentally, a few weeks ago my sister mentioned she tried some wonderful pumpkin chocolate chip cookies from Kroger and wanted ME to duplicate them. So I guess Kroger makes fabulous pumpkin chocolate chip cookies……

Comments

When I read “NPR Christmas Cookie show,” all I could think of is “Delicious Dish,” the NPR cooking show take-off from Saturday Night Live!

Good times…good times.

2. krista says

Anna..

This recipe won best in show at a pumpkin festival in Ohio.. I found it in a family cook book my father in law created .. it was submitted by a distant relative.. sounds yummy.. thought of you when I read your entry.
    Oh, I found espresso powder.. and the pig in the same store.. lol

Pumpkin Cookies

2 tsp Baking Powder
    1 cup Chopped Nuts
    1 -12 oz. pkg Chocolate Chips
    1 cup Raisins
    1 -10 oz. pkg Butterscotch Chips
    5 cups Flour

Mix the above ingredients (moist first, then add dry). Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes. Do not over bake as they will dry out. Cool and enjoy!!

3. Katy says

Anna,
    Elinor Kilvans has a pumpkin butterscotch (or chocolate) chip cookie in her Big Fat Cookies book. Everything I’ve baked from that book is fantastic.
    Katy

VEGAS! AHHH! I’ve never been, but I want to. I’ve never gambled, either, but it is a true dream of mine. It must have been fun.

5. Lena says

Kroger does make a fabulous pumpkin cc cookie! I’ve tried many of recipes to duplicate the cookie, but none have come close to Kroger’s. Their cookie isn’t sticky like most pumpkin cookies, and they are a little darker color and richer in flavor/spices. The texture is also fluffy like a muffin top. Hope you can duplicate the recipe! I would love to be able to make them.

6. amy says

Not to be a pessimist, but the Kroger pumpkin cookies probably cannot be duplicated at home unless you are willing to use high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oils. I never buy their bakery items because they all seem to contain high amounts of one or both. Don’t get me wrong – I have tasted the pumpkin cookies once when my mom bought them and they are good.

7. kate says

Hi Anna,

Thank you so much for the link!

I plan on being up to my elbows in Matcha Shortbread dough this afternoon.
    I am off on my quest to find Matcha.

kate